Sign in to follow this  
Big Leonard

New 2144 owner questions

Good morning fellow members,

I finally replaced the mighty F2 Gleaner with a beautiful late 1997 model 2144,

It has 2400 separator hours but is in great shape. It has the afx/ specialty rotor, chopper, new tires all internal parts look very good and it looks sharp.

The two things It is missing are a rock trap and rear wheel assist and I want to add them. 

How expensive and how much work will it take to add these two items ? I will most likely have the case ih dealer do the work but would like to find used parts.

I believe I got it for a good price ( $ 35,000.00 ) including the 6 row corn head and the bean head. I feel I can spend a little money on it and go through it and make sure everything is in good shape but I need a rock trap and would like RWA.

I am sure I will have more questions but would like help with these two items.

Thanks

Congratulations you will love the combine. A rock trap from a 1640  1660 or even a 1460 1440 should work. Don't quote me though. The little 2100 series are tough to find and bring a lot more money than the 2188 series. A big step up from the gleaner. Dad went from f gleaner to an 815 then 1460 years ago for wheat.

I'm not sure if you need the rock trap. Does your 2144 have the stone retardant drum on the feederhouse? My late model 2144 has the rock trap and the rock drum. Just set the drum down into the lowest setting and you shouldn't get any rocks past it. The rock trap fills with trash right away and I'm not sure how effective it is. Good Luck with your 2144, I really like mine, and that 5.9 Cummins works its tail off without ever complaining and on very little fuel!

It does not have the drum.

I was told by someone that if you add a rock trap you will need to change the feeder house also because the one without the rock trap will be to long once you add it. Is this true ?

The service manager is supposed to let me know

Thanks

I tried to find a rock trap for our 1680 a few years ago with no luck.  I do have a stone retarder but rocks still get in doing beans.  When the retarder is in lowest position, I can't feed the crop in so I run it in next to lowest position but hardball size rocks can still get through. Put a Johnson stone guard on the head which really helps but a rock can still jump over the guard sometimes.  Cih service rep told me that's common.  He also said run the stone retarder in the highest position always if combine has rock trap.  I won't buy a combine without a rock trap in the future given our rock population.

You will just need the extensions for the cylinders if you add a rock trap. I believe in another post Smoker1 said he put a brand new mud hog on for $18k.

You can add cylinder extensions but if I can find the complete set up ( rock trap and feeder house together ) and just swap it that would be great.

Anyone have a complete used mud hog in excellent shape ?

Local salvage yard has some $ 6500.00 each. 1 year warranty on drive motors. Good deal ???? not much choice

Let me know if anyone else has what I'm looking for.

Thanks

You will need to get the 54" feeder house with the rock trap, you will have the 60" now. The 60" and rock trap will be too long. Look for 1644 - 2366 for parts.  Look for the factory mug hog setup from a 16 series up, better than the old planetary setups.

Changing out to a Mud Hog is not something you need a dealer shop to do.  We bought one mid-season during a muddy harvest for a 2366, got home with it at dark and had the machine in the field next afternoon.  At the time we were trading combines every season, so we transferred that RWA to 2 or 3 other combines and got to where we could do it in probably less than 4 hours as I recall.  

Thanks Guys,

Have not found the feeder house/ rock trap assembly yet but I did find my RWA at a local salvage yard.

I had the choice of either a mud hog brand or a OEM case IH. I chose the case IH.

Was that the right decision ? Going to pick it up tomorrow at 7:30 AM

can still change my mind they have them both.

Shouldn't matter, OEM is built by Mudhog I believe

Wouldnt waste money on a rock trap, my new to me 2388 has one , know why they added Hydraulic reversers, my 1660 with no rock trap eats beans jus fine, never plugged feeder ever in 20 years.  Didn't make it 1 round with 2388. rock traps suck.  My opinion