Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
north of 60

Old Blue - 1966 IHC Loadstar 1700

22 posts in this topic

Still operating a 1966 IHC Loadstar 1700 truck tractor that I bought back in 1976 for around $2000.00. Has a 345 gas engine. Over the years I have used it to pull an old single deck cattle liner, a 40' tandem highboy, and most recently a lowboy with tandem 10000 lb axles with dual wheels. Mostly use it for hauling round bales, but have hauled some building logs on the highboy with log bunks. Bought the lowboy this spring to be able to haul my old TD9 IHC crawler around. Truck still runs pretty well, a bit underpowered when pulling the highboy loaded with 20 round bales, but we get by. Could use a paint job, but some have tried to discourage me from painting it. They tell me old and weathered paint is now the trendy look for these old trucks :huh: !  Such an easy truck to work on, just recently had to replace the alternator and clutch master cylinder. Transmission has strait cut gears, so a good working clutch is a must ! 

Found a few parts I needed this past summer while visiting my son in Resolute Bay, Nunavut ( which is only a few hundred miles from the North Pole). Lots of old equipment up there that just gets parked out on the tundra when no longer going to be used. Brought home a suitcase full of small parts for this truck and for my TD9 crawler ! . 

Will post some pics of "Old Blue" in the days to come. Thinking a good photo op will be when I first load the TD9 onto the lowboy.     

A '66 won't have straight cut gears. The synchros may be worn out.

Ok, have never had the transmission out. Just assumed they were strait cut gears, as have always had to be pretty precise when shifting. Has always been this way since I got it 40 years ago. Have driven a few other similar year Loadstars that shifted nice and smooth and were a lot more forgiving !

Have attached a picture of "Old Blue" in her work clothes, just hauled my TD9 back home from a fence line brushing project.

1966 Loadstar and TD9 crawler.JPG

Very nice picture North !!!     Watch out for a "screaming ford"  when navigating the hyways and byways up

there in the great white ,     ( It could possibly be KOO doing some winter truck freighting :))

Thx ! Haven't seen anything on the forum from KOO in awhile. His posts sure helped me out a lot with my TD9. 

Thats a good looking ol' brute!  As for paint, wash it with hot water and baking soda mix to scrub it good.  Hot psi was it and let sit in shop [heated if possible] for a day after blowing it off with air.  Mask the glass and give her 3-4 coats of flat clear to stop the deterioration.  Freeze it how it looks then!

Thanks Troy. I had always thought I would repaint the old girl someday, but in recent years some have encouraged me not to repaint it, saying that this old look is "in". Your idea supports that. ( Incidentally, I bought this truck not too far from your location, it was a city delivery truck in Vancouver, BC before it came to me in 1977). It looked a whole lot prettier then !! 

The truck is in pretty decent shape mechanically, had to replace the clutch master cylinder a few months ago. Have a small leak in the radiator, up top, so will have to pull it out in the spring to have it soldered. Was going to try something like Barsleak, but quite a few mechanics do not recommend adding these type of sealants to the coolant.

Would welcome any input out there on using these coolant additives to stop radiator leaks.

I'm also looking for a front metal IHC emblem for the centre of the hood, and the metal side "International" emblems from the hood wings. (I have one of these still, but its broken in half, thought maybe I could repair the break somehow, looks like a pot metal material ?).  Haven't looked too hard to find these emblems yet, but I'm sure they are out there. I see quite a few old Loadstars parked in the weeds in my travels in this area !

If someone has some they would be willing to part with, please let me know.

Thx,

Grant

Wow didn't see many Loadstars down here with radiator shutters.

You've got a nice truck and you should do what you feel is right for it.   Different people have different opinions about appearance of an old truck when it isn't theirs.   Around here, the rusty look is for rat rods.  The rusty look tends to make people think a big truck is a rust bucket, hasn't been maintained, and is worth scrap value.   If it were mine, I would  put a nice paint job on it paying attention to details.  Sloppy paint jobs make people think you painted it to get rid of it or you're hiding something.  Again, it isn't mine and I've got a different opinion. 

I've seen pictures of similar tractor units that have been repainted, this red and black one in particular really caught my eye.

red and black Loadstar.jpg

X2

2 hours ago, Ihcforme said:

look like this one! 

Welcome aboard IHCFORME   Is that your truck?

It is. I started the restoration on it about 6 years ago and finished it in 2015. 

That is one nice looking truck !!

Nice 'Binder. I like the aluminum running boards.

We rebuilt a Binder like that years ago. A guy bought it and drove it to New York with his wife and two little girls. It was painted a gold metallic colour, I am sure I saw it in a Dirty Harry movie where it comes around a corner and tips over with a load of chickens!

thanks. I had a fab shop make the running boards for me using the originals as a pattern.  I considered chroming the originals when I got the front end chromed but decided to go with the aluminum.

Runnig boards.JPG

Nice old truck! I say paint if it makes ya happy. But then again i have mixed feelings on the rat rod look and probably the odd man out. I think a fresh coat of bkue might look nice.