texgyrene

D282 in 706 to Cummins 5.9B?

40 posts in this topic

Can't find a suitable replacement for my D282 in my 706 in this neck of the woods. I've read about a Cummins 5.9B in a Farmall 806 in FarmShow magazine. Would this engine work in my 706? I have not found detailed info on this repower into a706 with D282.  Does anyone know if my frame rails and sheet metal would be compatible with the 5.9B? I found places that can supply the rear adaptor plate, flywheel,front mounts and pilot bearing. I believe that my tractor is stock from the factory and has not been hacked by the previous owner. I'm told that my stock starter would work with the new flywheel. Tried the net and came up empty on info for frame rail length on my 706. Mine are 46.5 inches. The sheet metal part I can handle if required to alter. I have been told that a 5.9BT would not work because it would interfere with my front loader. The radiator part with differences in the lower outlet on the 5.9B I can handle. If it is of any info value, my  F 706D is a 1964 model, Serial number 16552 S-Y .  Any info that is out there on the net or in anyone's head would be greatly appreciated. I can't really part with this machine because every thing else on it is in great working order. All replies are certainly welcome! Thanks!    texgyrene

If you're worried about the 5.9 being a little bit too long a 3.9 liter turbocharged with an intercooler or even just turbocharged would probably put as much out as that 282 . This would give you a lot more room in between the engine and the radiator to adapt things at that end. I don't know what it would do for your exhaust routing though.  5120 maxxums used these engines and they were rated for 80 pto horsepower.  Available in 90+95xt skid loader and other places.  Just an idea 

Bitty- Thank you very much for your reply!  I really appreciate the info. The 4BT would turn the trick for me as far as frame concerns go. I'll find out about space for the turbo in my search for info. I think I have the fan figured with a thermostatically controlled electric puller with it's own shroud. Plumbing the hoses for water should not be a problem with the extra space the 4B would provide. I found that the 282D block is 32 in. in length. The Cummins 6B series block is 40 in. long, 24.9 in. wide and 37.9 in. in height and both the 4B and 6B Series Cummins engines have to have a rear sump to clear up front obstructions on the 706 D. If anyone else wants to add any info to this discussion please don't be shy. The moderator of this forum has me pegged exactly right as a Newbie. I know just enough to be dangerous to any project I undertake!  Thanks again Bitty!  texgyrene

Could re power it with a 301 Allis motor like my dad did. Turned out great

iowa boy1965- The 282  to date has  $6350.00 in it by 2 different mechanics. It is so tough to find parts or complete IH engines that I can adapt to it, plus it is worse to find anyone in any of the shops where I live that has knowledge of this 1964 tractor.  The reason I want out of that 282 is that engine has become a money pit because of it's age. It's been completely overhauled twice and is still blowing head gaskets. The head has been milled and and the deck of the block has been checked . I am at the end of my rope. The problem is the rest of the tractor is in good shape. The TA and trans are great! The rear end is in good shape. The injector pump is working right. I am out of answers and so are the wrenchers who have worked on it. Cummins 4B here I come! Thanks for your reply to my problem!       texgyrene

On 10/14/2016 at 9:31 PM, puller806 said:

Could re power it with a 301 Allis motor like my dad did. Turned out great

puller 806- Sorry I haven't replied sooner. We are just finishing up pecan season down here. Please accept my apology. It's been a madhouse here for awhile. Allis engines are hard to find around here. A buddy of mine put me on to one about 60 miles from me. I went to look at it and the guy told me it ran like a top. He tried for an hour and a half to fire it up and couldn't. He told me he would drop the price from $2000.00 to $1950.00 if I would pull it. I said thanks, but no thanks, and exited stage right. I didn't have the courage to tell him that I already had an engine that does the exact same thing. Thank you very much for your reply and I will keep on keeping on to a solution to my dilemma.  texgyrene

Either job will take more work and time than you think.if you want it nice.They are nice when done.

cwinn- You are absolutely correct. I saw one in Farm Show magazine that was a beauty. I was advised that a Cummins 4B would be a better fit than a 5.9 Cummins. To go with a 5.9 B I would need to swap out frame rails and maybe sheet metal. I just don't have all the info I need to transplant the 4B into that 706D . For certain I am done with that 282D. It could be a head problem, deck problem, or a slipped sleeve. At any rate, that puppy is history! Thank you for your input on this problem of mine! If any one has any tips on a transplant to the 4B, lay it one me. Please don't be shy. Again, thank you!

sounds to me nobody has taken the time to check the protrusion of the liners, these engines had alot of trouble with this and your issue was commen back in the day, it probably needs to have the counterbores cut as you have had so much trouble and the correct amount of shims placed under the liners, very time consuming in a dry sleeve engine, but thats the only way to fix it.

Mr. IHC- Thanks for your reply! I have come to believe that sleeve protrusion is a major part of the problems I am experiencing. Unfortunately, the 2 guys who have worked on this engine never checked or made me aware of this possibility. Oh well, live and learn!  Again, thank you for your input on helping me figure out the problem with my 282D.

6bt should fit I have a 806 that was gas that I swapped I have a phone number for a guy in Missouri I think it is that put one in a 706  as cwinn said it does take time and  it can add up on the cost but I would do it again tom 

1989 plowboy- Thanks for the info on the engine swap I'm planning. Could I trouble you for a measurement of your frame rails on your 806? I'm told that I would need frame rails from an 806 to do the transplant to my 706D. Did you have to swap out any sheet metal to fit the 6BT, particularly the sheet metal over the fuel tank and engine? I've also been told that I can't use a turbo because of interference with the frame rails from my front end loader.  Information is so hard to come by on these swaps and I would really appreciate any info or tips that you could pass on to me. Again, thank you for your knowledge and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.   texgyrene

An 806 will have  the longer frame rails and more up and down clearance under the fuel tank than a 282 equiped 706

1989 plowboy- Thanks for your response. I'll just keep on plugging along with this project and hope I can find an engine that will fit the available space between the frame rails and sheet metal above it. I'll check to see if a Cummins 4B will fit what space I have. Again, thank you!

On 11/10/2016 at 1:02 AM, texgyrene said:

iowa boy1965- The 282  to date has  $6350.00 in it by 2 different mechanics. It is so tough to find parts or complete IH engines that I can adapt to it, plus it is worse to find anyone in any of the shops where I live that has knowledge of this 1964 tractor.  The reason I want out of that 282 is that engine has become a money pit because of it's age. It's been completely overhauled twice and is still blowing head gaskets. The head has been milled and and the deck of the block has been checked . I am at the end of my rope. The problem is the rest of the tractor is in good shape. The TA and trans are great! The rear end is in good shape. The injector pump is working right. I am out of answers and so are the wrenchers who have worked on it. Cummins 4B here I come! Thanks for your reply to my problem!       texgyrene

Did they check the length of the head bolts they can stretch/ bottom out or not torque the gasket right! Neighbor had that with a 560 diesel alot of head gaskets before they discovered the stretched bolts last d282 I did this summer I just bought new bolts! 

Gleaner k2- The second guy that worked on the 282D used new head bolts at my request. I'm still gathering info on the Cummins transplant. Hopefully, I can find a 4B that I can shoehorn into the 706 without wholesale changes other than the rear end plate and flywheel. I'm sure someone else has attempted this replacement and I sure wish they would pass the info on to me. I would really appreciate any and all help. Thank you for your concern on this problem of mine.  texgyrene

I don't think those Cummins are any longer than a 282 or 263 .I measured them all.just cut the face off the fuel tank and Tig a flat front back on it.makes it alot easier to work on anyway.Hole in hood ends up to the rear with manifold off a 5250 maxxum.flip hood upside down on a board ,drill the hole.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:13 PM, cwinn said:

I don't think those Cummins are any longer than a 282 or 263 .I measured them all.just cut the face off the fuel tank and Tig a flat front back on it.makes it alot easier to work on anyway.Hole in hood ends up to the rear with manifold off a 5250 maxxum.flip hood upside down on a board ,drill the hole.

Gleaner k2- The second guy that worked on the 282D used new head bolts at my request. I'm still gathering info on the Cummins transplant. Hopefully, I can find a 4B that I can shoehorn into the 706 without wholesale changes other than the rear end plate and flywheel. I'm sure someone else has attempted this replacement and I sure wish they would pass the info on to me. I would really appreciate any and all help. Thank you for your concern on this problem of mine.  texgyrene

cwinn- Thanks for your tip! What concerns me most is the width of the 4B block fitting between my frame rails. I've gotten info off the net and find various widths on the engine . I'm not sure due to the variation of the measurements I have found. I worry whether the measurements are taken at the front mount holes or if they were taken of the engine at it's widest point further up the block.  I'm not concerned with the fit at the rear. There is a company in Wisconsin and one in Pennsylvania that sells a rear plate and flywheel that will adapt that end of the swap. The kit also contains front mounts. If you can find any definitive info as to the width of the block from front mount hole to front mount hole I would certainly appreciate it. Again, thank you for the info on the swap!

the width is nothing,you just buy the adapter plate ,bolt it on the rear,the kit comes with front mounts,bolt them in ,beld em together.Trim frame on lh side about one inch for front cover,rh side for water hose.Can be done with a diegrinder or 4 inch if need be.Simple .My adapter is from Wisconsin.

cwinn- Sorry for being late with a reply. Thanks for the info on the swap. I could not locate a 4B to measure the width of the block at the front mount holes. I was told that a 4B was the same width at that point as a 6B. I got a measurement of 13.5 inches on my bro-in-law's Dodge truck with a 6B. Hopefully, I hope I can trust the info about the engines being similar in respect to block width is correct. Also, I had a guy tell me that I needed a 4B that is governed. He said I needed an industrial type 4B and not an on road type. Could you offer any advice that would guide me to the 4B that I need? As I have always said, I know just enough to be dangerous to any project I undertake. Thanks again for all your info on my quest to repower that 706D.  txgyrene

As far as I know the 3.9 and 5.9 have the identical front and rear engine covers. I am fairly certain that Lehmann tractor parts has adapters to install these engines in those tractors so it is possible.

I am being told that I need to put a 454 we have laying around in my M puller . I don't know if I will ever get the time though

bitty- Thanks for your reply! I still have not found a 4B yet. One of my bro-in-laws came up with a Farmall 806 on a Craigslist about 70 miles from me. He stopped to check it out while looking at some heifers. It's in fair shape he said. The guy wants 4 grand for it. The man claims it is a '67 model with a 361D in it. I'll see it later this week. I need to research and look this engine up as to feasibility for a transplant, as I don't know much about the 361D. Everything is in good shape as the owner states. Do you know of any pitfalls with this engine? I'm kind of torn between the 4B and an IH motor if it will not cause many pains to shoehorn it in. Any advice you or anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I bet that 454 in your M would make that tractor stand up and bark. I go to pulls and am amazed at what some of those suckers can do!