Sign in to follow this  
Atilathehun99

Red Power Rain Gauge

Every so often there are threads re: rain.  There's one on the board now.  I thought I'd toss this out there as a suggestion to create something as an ongoing living thread to document the precip events locally observed by individual members.  Everyone may not find this interesting but I do knowing how much has fallen in places distant from me; Nebraska, Oregon, Maine, Tennessee, etc.

In fact this thread wouldn't have to be restricted to just rain.  It could also be a place for forum members to report their lack of rain, snowfall, hi-low temperatures, and any other weather/climate related ya da, ya da.

I have no idea whether this will take off or not, but the one thing I hope if it does it's restricted to factual reports and doesn't wander into politics or policy.  There are ample other opportunities to do that.

Another item worth mentioning is hearing that FarmallJake got 2-inches on the 14th of May is interesting but w/out knowing where Jake is located subtracts from learning much.  I certainly respect every member's right to privacy but something as basic as Jake including in his comment "2-inches in south central Missouri" would be helpful. 

So starting it off as I've already posted today at my place here in SW Michigan I recorded 3.5-inches of rain from 2 storm events.

ZERO precipitation 

1.25in today from morning showers, 20 miles east of Grand Rapids MI

No rain here today, yet. west central Missouri. Years ago, (i think around 2004) we had a daily update on here from members all around the county that ran for over a full crop year and there are some of us still on here even today.

In central Michigan we are now 6 inches behind last year from planting time (middle of May) to present.  The corn must have really put a root straight down to look this good with it being this dry.

They used to have a daily weather thread on that other tractor forum and like you say it was kind of interesting seeing what the weather was doing across the country. I guess they still do, I quit going over there about a year ago.

Nada columbus montana

Here just East of Duluth Mn. just a trace of rain very early morning on the 24th. I belong to a Nation wide group called CoCoRaHS which stands for Community Collaboratetive Rain and Hail Snow measurement. We do daily reports for the National Weather Service, you can join and it would be of great service to your area. They have a rain gauge that is offical for measuring precipitation to a .01 inch. Lots of good info there too.

Here in north east Oregon, 10 miles south of the Washington boarder (Walla Walla) no rain, 50's last night, lower to mid 90's today. Wheat harvest will be in full swing this week.

Not a drop of rain in a month. Less than 1/4 in past 2 months. Looks like maybe some showers today but think its too late at this point. Pretty much a disaster here. New York State

7 tenths total since June 14th. 3rd cutting alfalfa got as tall as a pop can.

I'm out in the field right now ready to chop haylage third cutting and we just got a little shower I don't know whether to keep trying or not I'm hoping it will

We have gotten some rain the last 3 weeks, before that it was very dry and crops were suffering. We have gotten just enough so most corn looks ok. Corn overall looks shorter then most years I think as it is tassling and it's maybe 6 to 7' tall, some is even shorter but has good color. Grass land suffered the most and is not amounting to much but 3rd is looking good with the rain we have been getting. 

Well that didn't amount to much, less than a 1/10th inch but at least it was something, just enough to shut down combining for the day. A lot of corn here tasseled out waist high

13 hours ago, augercreek said:

Here just East of Duluth Mn. just a trace of rain very early morning on the 24th. I belong to a Nation wide group called CoCoRaHS which stands for Community Collaboratetive Rain and Hail Snow measurement. We do daily reports for the National Weather Service, you can join and it would be of great service to your area. They have a rain gauge that is offical for measuring precipitation to a .01 inch. Lots of good info there too.

Thanks for the tip on the CoCoRaHS, I think I'll join and participate.  Fortunately I already have the rain gauge that they require.  A few months ago I was in need of replacing my gauge and after a lot of research I ended up ordering that exact rain gauge.  It's the most precise and accurate I've ever seen.

3.3" this afternoon in SE Illinois. It was spotty but some areas got 4-5". Water was 2-3 ft deep in places I had never seen water before. 

We ended up with 6 tenths.  

Thank you Lord .

We need it ( and more ) bad

Yesterday was a clear blue day as pretty as they come with just enough breeze to keep one cool. It was a good day to work on putting a second seat on the 300U for tractor rides.

Only got about 2/10ths, heavy downpours were all around just not over me.

we had just at 1" yesterday. corn isn't curled this morning. the rain was very welcome, but we need more.

Hecka dry lightning last night shocked there are no prarie fire locally today.

Well we got .03 yesterday in three squirts during the day. Very humid so did most of the grunt work early and went to the IH dealer to get drive shaft bearings for the H. Gees are they expensive!!!!

On 7/25/2016 at 6:44 AM, ChrisNY said:

Not a drop of rain in a month. Less than 1/4 in past 2 months. Looks like maybe some showers today but think its too late at this point. Pretty much a disaster here. New York State

Do you guys not irrigate?

Nw wa.....No rain 2 weeks. Hi 80s and 3 weeks of dry.  Bit drier than normal.  Way better than last year.  We were irrigating Memorial day in 2015.  Started 10 days ago with 3 reels.