Art From DeLeon

Won't See This Take On Wind Energy Ever 'Reported'

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

We have been doing work for these guys http://www.starwindturbines.com

getting on their feet but they are well equipped an headded in the right direction, I'll try to get a pic of the prototype they have up right now, I'm thinking about one myself. 

I've been playing with wind power since my early teens.  Still kick it around every now and then but over the last number of years when I tried using off the shelf blades I never found a set that was worth crap for durability and or running efficiency.  :angry:  

To be honest, the best blades I have ever had were some sets that me and an old buddy of mine carved out of some clean 2" x 6" and 2" x 8"s years ago.    Try as it might even our ND winds couldn't break em or get them to fly apart!  B)

Now that I have enough basic woodworking equipment to carve my own I may have to make a few new sets this year and get the old wind generators flying again.  ;)

17 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Every air line in America is subsidised by the government...they would go broke in days if left on there own.

If you mean essential air service then no, the airlines wouldn't go broke, there just wouldn't be any service to mostly rural towns where the market won't support a profit. A quarter of those towns are in Alaska but considering the size of the state and the small population, it's not surprising.

Taxpayer money is spent on airports and I suppose you could call that a subsidy of sorts except that those same airports provide jobs both directly and indirectly that provide taxes that repay etc, etc.

Businesses exist in places because there's transportation available and those businesses contribute.

Of course if you visit Anchorage, Alaska, you'll enter through the quite beautiful Ted Stevens terminal and see government spending at its best (worse?). The argument can be made that it encourages tourism which brings in lots of dollars.

The folks who quote billions of airline subsidies often include airmail contracts going back nearly 100 years and all of the FAA budget. Quoting the budget of a federal agency as a subsidy? Would anyone quote the entire budget of the USDA as farm subsidy?

Foreign carriers, however, especially from the Mid East, receive direct government money.

10 minutes ago, Ian Beale said:

NewEnglander

I think you'll find that QANTAS gets SFA

:D That'll get lost.

There must be something magic about the manufacture of those wind turbines.  Almost every day, for 4 1/2 years, I would drive by the Vestas plant in Brighton, CO, which made both the blades and the generators. On these daily drives, sometimes several times a day, at all hours, I NEVER saw any material being brought into the plant, other than a very few semi trailers belonging to freight companies like Fed-Ex or ESTES.

They would ship out whole trains of the generators, each one carried on a four-truck (16 wheel) railcar, or one loaded on a multi-axle heavy load trailer.  I would have thought that the fiberglass resin used to make the blades would require thousands of gallon of resin per blade, and the copper winding in the generators would require car loads of wire, but NOTHING of that sort ever showed up on the sidings, or in tankers.

The other thing is that Vestas has a plant in Pueblo that makes the towers, and yet I never saw a tower included in these trains, or even trains consisting solely of the towers headed north on the UP mainline thru Brighton to Cheyenne, but UP also has track rights from Pueblo up to Denver..

Truly, there IS 'magic' in the air.

But did you see the lantern as in back down in your history and has it been changed to signal by night or by day?

10 hours ago, Art From DeLeon said:

There must be something magic about the manufacture of those wind turbines.  Almost every day, for 4 1/2 years, I would drive by the Vestas plant in Brighton, CO, which made both the blades and the generators. On these daily drives, sometimes several times a day, at all hours, I NEVER saw any material being brought into the plant, other than a very few semi trailers belonging to freight companies like Fed-Ex or ESTES.

More than likely they get most of their materials brought in on night deliveries.

Years ago I worked at the pasta plant in Grand Forks and by far the majority of our product went out at night. Same with our freight and part deliveries that came in too.

The Simplot potato plant next door also seemed to have way more heavy truck traffic at night than in the day as well. 

I live near the wind farm in central MI. Most people don't mind them at all. When the wind is blowing, usually 90-95% are turning. I was involved in the road work to get the stuff to the sites. Once the crane was brought in and put together, it stayed that way until they were all done. They built about 75 turbines the first time in about 5-6 months, and 35 the second round in about 3 months.  But, I also used to go into the JR Whiting coal plant in Erie, MI to work on their equipment once a month. They had 3 dozers, a TD40 Dresser, and a D375 and D275 Komatsu. The D375 had a 24' semi U blade on it. The TD40 was a back up when we were servicing the other dozers. The 275 and 375 had operators that ran them around the clock. One would push coal into the hopper where it would be run into the plant. The other would push the coal away from the conveyor where it would come from the train cars, and move the piles around in general. They said if you did not continuously move the piles around, they would get hot spots and start fires in the pile. These were probably 8 or so acre piles. There was a huge cost of machinery and operators there. Not to mention the army it took to run the plant normally. There was I believe 6 or 8 turbines in there, and only half usually ran, the others were to make up in high demand times or when another was down for repair. There is also the Detroit Edison plant just up the road generating juice as well.  Those  are just my observations.

Ross

On June 16, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Ian Beale said:

think you'll find that QANTAS gets SFA

I believe that brahamfireman had said "every airline in America", not Queensland And New Territories Air Service!

best, randy

On June 16, 2016 at 4:59 AM, New Englander said:

If you mean essential air service then no, the airlines wouldn't go broke, there just wouldn't be any service to mostly rural towns

N.E., well said!

best, randy