Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2016 crop pics

Prices are dropping like a Rock now though as everyone anticipates a bigger crop. Always thought that was pretty odd. Countries tell us to produce more as there isn't enough to suply the world demand. Have a good crop or two though and no one wants to pay anything for it.  Would be better off growing half. Scrip with less inputs maybe and charging extra for the end product.  Will never happen though as farmers will never unite or organize. 

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Happen to catch the model number of it. We've looked at the slightly newer models a bit and considered them. I think their a decent sprayer for what they are. Set of good floaters on the back and they'll go through quite a bit if mud too. 

It was a model 790. Over 2700 hours but very well cared for and could not see a thing wrong with it. Just not quite ready to spend that much for my small farm operation.

Looked like this one here....

Well we're a little poorer after today. Ritchie brothers managed to take some of(or allot depending on how you look at it) of our money. Ended up buying a 2000 1254 rogator that apears to be in pretty nice shape. Came from a well cared for home to begin with I think. Gone through two owners in the last 5 years though so it's going to take a little bit of work and money to get it back up to new again. Needs a complete service for starters. Engine oil looks good but the rest has got a few hours on it.

e4dbb299-d891-40b2-a6ef-9db935e95eb2.jpg

wowser that will be quite an upgrade from the ol pull type I was watching online and saw things sold quite well as I figured from everyone has a crop comin so far, I was wondering mostly what the 2388 was gonna go for and just as I figured around 16000 also the john deere 4730 sprayer went for what I thought it would to

the big semi trucks I thought were kinda cheap

the 1010 30" headers looked like a good buy but I didn't look at them in person I could have used another one for that price

congrats on the purchase good luck with it

Couple pictures of the canola from 3 days ago I think it was. Was just shortly after I got burnt anyways. I took the truck out one night to crop check rather then the quad.

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

Big combines were selling reasonable I thought. Could buy a awful nice combine for around 125,000 or less. We paid enough for this sprayer that's for sure. Actually about 10k more then I wanted to pay but dad decided to stick his hand up a couple more times. He thought it was worth a bit more then me. Guess we'll find out.lol..

Canola will be blooming probably end of the week. Wheat and oats will be heading out very shortly. FIrst wheat should be heading out already actually. Haven't been back to it in about 10 days now so not sure. I should actually get this sprayer ready and go put some fungicide on my oats but it's been dry enough I don't know if there's really a need to. Trucker is delivering it tomorrow afternoon so we'll have to see I guess. First step is to figure out how to rinse the darn thing.lol..

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

52 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Big combines were selling reasonable I thought. Could buy a awful nice combine for around 125,000 or less. We paid enough for this sprayer that's for sure. Actually about 10k more then I wanted to pay but dad decided to stick his hand up a couple more times. He thought it was worth a bit more then me. Guess we'll find out.lol..

Canola will be blooming probably end of the week. Wheat and oats will be heading out very shortly. FIrst wheat should be heading out already actually. Haven't been back to it in about 10 days now so not sure. I should actually get this sprayer ready and go put some fungicide on my oats but it's been dry enough I don't know if there's really a need to. Trucker is delivering it tomorrow afternoon so we'll have to see I guess. First step is to figure out how to rinse the darn thing.lol..

Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure you'll be happy with it. There's a lot of rogator machines around here with upwards of 4000 hrs and still going strong. If it's like our new to us pull type is, rinsing the tank is so nice! No more sticking the hose through the lid or crawling underneath to open the bung. Lol. Just opening and closing valves. 

Just finished spraying in crop today here. It was the last field of canola about 1 week behind the other stuff. First stuff is bolting and should be blooming by the weekend. The 1.5" of rain on the weekend is helping things along really nice. Now as long as it quits for haying.

Thanks, hope it works out good for us. We have a good dealer 12 miles away from our farm that stocks almost every part agco makes so that's a huge plus for us too. Rogator wasn't our first choice as they do seem to be bit clumsy but coming from a pull type sprayer and a 220 spra coupe before that this one will be a modern marvel.lol.. Plan is to run it for a few years and hopefully trade it on a nice 4420 or 4430 by then Case IH patriot sprayer. Gota start somewhere. To many variables in farming as everyone here knows to make any definite plans.

4 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Gota start somewhere. To many variables in farming as everyone here knows to make any definite plans.

That's for sure! When we were getting ours ready to go this year dad said this will be the last sprayer he buys. Not even a minute later he said well maybe we'll buy self propelled one yet. Lol. Never make plans cause they're guaranteed to change. Lol

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Well we're a little poorer after today. Ritchie brothers managed to take some of(or allot depending on how you look at it) of our money. Ended up buying a 2000 1254 rogator that apears to be in pretty nice shape. Came from a well cared for home to begin with I think. Gone through two owners in the last 5 years though so it's going to take a little bit of work and money to get it back up to new again. Needs a complete service for starters. Engine oil looks good but the rest has got a few hours on it.

Looks like a big step up in spraying capacity Ryan. Hope it performs as good as it looks. I hear good things about Rogator. I don't see one in my future but you never know. 

I hope so too.  Hopefully wont have to put much into it. Everything seems to work that I could test so that's a step ahead of some of the ones I looked at on dealers lots. :(

Took a quick shot today of the earliest canola field I have. It is starting to bloom and really stretch out. Also saw the first heads on wheat today but didn't get a picture. 

30 canola June 29.jpg

Spring wheat is heading out here now in the past couple of days and looking pretty good. I see guys spraying, fungicide no doubt. Its been fairly dry as we have missed the rains for a while now. Not suffering yet but the surface is drying out. I shot this wheat view this evening. Brandon wheat. 

Merc wheat July 2.jpg

wow nice crops ralph

my canola and peas are flowering nicely and starting to pod out the wheat is a little behind though but still looks good

Crops are looking pretty good here too. Dad's oats are heading out pretty good now. MIne were seeded a week later so they've got a bit to go yet. Canola is starting to get pretty yellow now. These pics were taken on Sunday. Got a few more wild oats in my oats then I'd like to see. Not horrible but they're there. Dad's are very clean. Doubt you could even find one if you looked. Leaves on the canola are huge this year. Hope that means big bushels too.lol..

IMG_1200.JPG

My oats here. Had to upload separately. Didn't downsize it quite enough I guess.

IMG_1192.JPG

8 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

My oats here. Had to upload separately. Didn't downsize it quite enough I guess.

Looks like your oats are ahead of ours that were seeded on May 23. All crops looking pretty good here so far. 

I took this pic of the neighbour's wheat and canola this afternoon. That ominous looking sky likely had a bit of rain in it for somebody to the North of me. Maybe some hail too but I have not heard any reports. Only a few spots here. 

Storm cloud over Merc.jpg

We had a bunch of funnel clouds and some very heavy rains just a few miles south of us here today. Barely got any rain here though. Birch hills and PA the streets were overflowing again though.  The two storms split and went right down either side of us. Hopefully my land on the reserve didn't get hit to hard. 

Nice pic

11 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Dad's oats are coming along nicely now. Almost all headed out now.

Those oats are looking good and well ahead of mine. I could just see the first signs of heading here. 

I took this shot of one of my small canola patches yesterday. I had to drive through it to spray a piece of stubble land that never got seeded. Sprayers are going strong in canola here the past day or so. Some high clearance and some planes. Mine will have to get by without it. 

Canola July 8.jpg

Canola is looking nice. 

Those oats were seeded the 7th or 8th of may I believe. 

I'm going to try some 40 acre test plots next year and see for myself if spraying actually does any good or not. Would try this year but crops are coming along nicely and I think some might actually be past the recommended point for spraying anyways.  Sprayers pretty much ready to go now except for a hydraulic oil change. 

Thanks for the pictures! Very interesting  in my early years of farming I grew Oats but the were cut and baled. Grew wheat & Barley also but nothing like you fellas have there.

Those fields are beautiful ,So different then what we have here now.

Good luck in your harvest,

Tony

Glad you like them Tony.

Oat prices are depressed just like other commodities right now but hopefully prices will come up some. only around 2.00 a  bushel right now. If we can stay around 150 bpa we can still make money but if they average out around 100 there aint gona be much to jump for joy about that's for sure. Should be 3.00 a bushel plus.

crops are advancing in this neck of the woods to everything looks good other than dads barley not sure what will happen there

peas and canola are just spectacular I've never have had canola leaves and stocks that big before and in the peas they just keep blooming and poding just amazing. just over a month ago I swear we were gonna have a replay of last year 

Maybe the crop prospects have changed after the past few days of heavy rain in Sask. I'm hearing a lot of gloom and doom talk over on agriville forum as to crop damage due to disease and flooding. Not too bad here from the little bit I have seen. Only a bit over 2 inches up to noon today but its still drizling a bit. 

This is the only crop picture I have taken in the past 24 hours. Potatoes are looking good in my yard. 

Garden July 11.jpg