Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2016 crop pics

Canola is all patchy around here this year. I'm not sure why as we seeded into lots of moisture but there's not many nice looking canola crops here yet. I think in time they will fill in but right now they don't look like yours. Looks good and healthy hopefully it keeps coming good. Finished up the last 70 acres yesterday. I would've finished last Wed. but we had some canola that butted up against the neighbors wheat that we were a bit concerned about. Liberty sure worked good in this heat anyways. Everything's cooked to a crisp.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

Thanks everyone. We're pretty close to the forest fringe but where we are its fairly open. Still some trees in the fence lines but any farmable land has pretty well been cleared and broke up by now. We've left some bush on the one quarter close to home and have another quarter that's on the edge of a forest that's like a little wildlife habitat. Has about 60 acres of heavy bush on it with everything from bears to elk and most everything inbetween.

Crops are looking really good so far but as we all know they're a long ways from the bins yet.

Troy,its funny you say that we're considered pretty small by today's standards around here. But what we have is ours and we'd kinda like to keep it that way too.

Hopefully everything lines up for you Ralph and you can wrap things up.

RYAN HOW MANY ACRES DO YOU RUN TOTAL?

8 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Canola is all patchy around here this year. I'm not sure why as we seeded into lots of moisture but there's not many nice looking canola crops here yet. I think in time they will fill in but right now they don't look like yours. Looks good and healthy hopefully it keeps coming good. Finished up the last 70 acres yesterday. I would've finished last Wed. but we had some canola that butted up against the neighbors wheat that we were a bit concerned about. Liberty sure worked good in this heat anyways. Everything's cooked to a crisp.

Actually the canola is quite patchy in some fields here too and I don't know why. I made sure to pick out a nice spot to take a picture but I've got patches where it is very thin to non existent. Of course canola has an amazing ability to fill in so I'm not too worried. Still quite a bit of spraying going on, or waiting to go on, here. Just so windy some days that no responsible operator will risk it. Now another big rain last night so there will be nothing done today I think. 

This photo from another field shows some bare ground between the canola plants. Again, notice our almost leafless poplar trees. Tent caterpillars wreaked havoc this year. 

canola June 14 2.jpg

We farm 1,000 acres total. It's small by todays standards around here but we try to do a better job of it and manage it better then some of the bigger operators. We also run older equipment so our operating costs aren't as high.

Our canola is just starting to leaf out now. In another week or so it should be covering the ground hopefully. Seeded a bit earlier this year but it doesn't seem to be any further ahead then when we've seeded later some years. Have a few more pics I'll post up when I get a chance. Been running around catching up on everything again. Have to move some more grain out now too. Clean the bins out and get ready for fall.

Raining here this morning. No complaints though should help everything come along. Only had about a inch of rain since the begining of may. Still not suffering from drought but it will help perk everything up and bring it along quicker I think.

Couple of pictures from the oat fields taken a week ago Monday so they've grown quite a bit since then again already.

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

Few pictures of the canola taken a week ago yesterday. They've started to fill in quite a bit since then but still patchy. With all the straw it's hard to see it sometimes till it almost covers the ground. 

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

That's odd it wouldn't let me upload the dowsized files at first. Had to go out of the screen and then come back and all was fine when I tried the second time.

IMG_1119.JPG

Interesting glare from the sun, makes the hood look greemn😏

On 6/15/2016 at 10:16 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

We farm 1,000 acres total. It's small by todays standards around here but we try to do a better job of it and manage it better then some of the bigger operators. We also run older equipment so our operating costs aren't as high.

Ryan, just my opinion but I think we were better off when there were a bunch of thousand acre farmers rather than just a few ten thousand acre farmers. 

My early wheat field is looking really good after an inch of rain over the past two days . Took this shot this evening. 

Wheat Merc rear.jpg

I agree 100% with you unfortunately I don't think it will ever go back the other way. To many bad years left to many people fed up with farming so they up and left. Most of the community is gone now with no one left to replace them.  Seems to be a trend for the last 40 years now. What was once 1 or 2 quarter farms turned into 5 and 10 quarter farms and its just kept going.  Will be interesting to see what happens when people hit the 1,000 quarter farms and they have some bad years. Could possibly wipe out the whole farming sector. I'm sure I will see it in my life time yet. (32 now) I'm sure there are farms in some areas closing in on that number now.  With everything financed it sure makes you wonder if it won't collapse sooner then later but who really knows for sure.  I have no intentions of growing drastically. I would like to get closer to2,000 acres with a newer line of equipment but I don't see myself going into huge debt to do it either.  Keep growing slowly for now and see where we end up I guess. 

Cereals are looking really good here too. Some wheat fields looked a little yellow after spraying but their coming back now.  We don't have much wheat in this year. Most of its on sandier soil but its doing pretty good yet. Oats on the home quarter are a real deep lush green. Will be in the flag leaf stage in a week-10 days I suspect. 

Took this pic last night.  This is our best looking canola crop from this year. Still a little patchy in places though. Further up the field I had some plugged seed boots too so that didn't help. 

image.jpg

On 6/17/2016 at 9:10 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

Took this pic last night.  This is our best looking canola crop from this year. Still a little patchy in places though. Further up the field I had some plugged seed boots too so that didn't help. 

I found some big bare patches in my canola field spraying today. Apparently I forgot to seed a few traingles . Must be an acre or two. Hoping for some volunteer canola to maybe fill in. I did the second pass on it today and in places the plants are  so big I was doing a lot of damage. Maybe should have just left it but anyway its done and now its raining which should help the crop recover from the traffic damage. 

canola spraying June 18.jpg

It shouldn't hurt it to badly. I've sprayed right when the canola is just starting to bolt and within a week you can't see a tire track anywhere. Looks like it's filling in nicely.

Not sure if we're going to do any second round spraying or not. Got a few oats coming now in the canola after the last rain so might hit it with centurion again if nothing else. Will see next week how it looks. Nothing really for broadleafs yet

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

It shouldn't hurt it to badly. I've sprayed right when the canola is just starting to bolt and within a week you can't see a tire track anywhere. Looks like it's filling in nicely.

I'd have to agree with you there. We've sprayed canola like that once and it recovered fine. We did wheat a few years ago almost at flag leaf and it wasn't too bad. Biggest issue we had was the old sprayer we had left pretty good tracks that didn't recover well. We just upgraded to a pt high clearance and it hardly leaves a track behind so I think it should be good from now on. 

Early crops here are patchy too from what I'm hearing. We didn't start till middle of may and things are looking really good. Finished spraying wheat today and some canola. 2 more days and we'll be done.

Oh well its raining pretty good right now and booming and flashing steady so that should help everything. 

9 hours ago, db1486 said:

I'd have to agree with you there. We've sprayed canola like that once and it recovered fine. We did wheat a few years ago almost at flag leaf and it wasn't too bad. Biggest issue we had was the old sprayer we had left pretty good tracks that didn't recover well. We just upgraded to a pt high clearance and it hardly leaves a track behind so I think it should be good from now on. 

Just curious what you upgraded to. I'm in the market too. Would sure like a self propelled but for what they want for a good second hand unit I could buy a pull type h.c. and a four wheel drive tractor to pull it with as well. My old Brandt is near 25 years old and may not last much longer. Bent one boom badly last year when it dropped into a muskrat run. 

16 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Just curious what you upgraded to. I'm in the market too. Would sure like a self propelled but for what they want for a good second hand unit I could buy a pull type h.c. and a four wheel drive tractor to pull it with as well. My old Brandt is near 25 years old and may not last much longer. Bent one boom badly last year when it dropped into a muskrat run. 

We had a great northern for a few years but it was a pain to get out and fold it in at every neck in the field. It worked great but was getting a lot of welding done to it. We ended picking up a Spray Air 3600 conventional boom. It's 90' and so far works really good. Hard to get used to on the hills yet as our old one was 67'. We pull it with the 4494 ant it's nice. I think your magnum would handle it really good.

5192016103518.jpg

5192016103457.jpg

We thought about a sp sprayer too but since we only spray once a year, and very rarely twice, we just couldn't justify it.  And we got the tractors to pull the sprayer so why not.

I sure miss being able to spray overtop of objects.  Sprayed with a 220 spra coupe for years and while it worked ok it was sure a pain at times too. Especially when it was wet. One spring we hooked the tractor onto it and just pulled it around the one field it was so wet you couldn't move.  We're looking for a 90-100 foot sp sprayer with 8-1200 gallon tank.  Might go to saskatoon next Monday and have a look. Ritchie's auction coming up. One sprayer looks interesting aside from the cracked engine block it looks pretty good lol. Someone's smeared jb weld or something of the like all over it. Least it looks that way in the pics. It has the 5.9 cummins so I assume it has the dreaded 53 series block as that's exactly where the crack is.  We almost bought a pull type suspended boom flexi coil 2 years ago. Offered the dealer 15,000 for it but he said no. Now they'd be lucky to get 12,000 for it.  They screwed up that time. 

11 hours ago, db1486 said:

We had a great northern for a few years but it was a pain to get out and fold it in at every neck in the field. It worked great but was getting a lot of welding done to it. We ended picking up a Spray Air 3600 conventional boom. It's 90' and so far works really good. Hard to get used to on the hills yet as our old one was 67'. We pull it with the 4494 ant it's nice. I think your magnum would handle it really good.

Thanks for the review on the Sprayair. Always good to hear actual experience from an owner. 800 gallon tank on it?

Ryan, one of the self propelled models I would consider first if I went that way would be the later model Spra Coupes like a 4655 or so. Tank is a bit small at 400 gallons though. 

11 hours ago, db1486 said:

That's one of my gripes with them too. It's hard to do fungicide with them. Pain having to fill up every 20-30 minutes. We did 5 gallons a acre with our 220 so 40 acres to a tank it did actually cover the ground fairly quick as you were spraying at 12 mph all the time but I sure don't want to go back to it.lol. It's nice to be able to spray a couple hundred acres a tank with the pull type we have now. Speeds reduced though, only spraying at 7-7.5 mph. So I'm really still only doing about 60-70 acres a hour depending on the field sometimes a little more if it's real nice and straight.

I'd sure like to find something I could put to work right away but afraid that may not be a option. Seems I always end up with a project one way or another and fixing it till I'm happy with it. Get there in the end but there's time it's sure frustrating.

It's actually got the 1100 gallon tank. We haven't filled it right up yet since we don't have big enough fields. It also has the true boom height sensor on it, and it works good on most fields but some of ours are really hilly and the end of the boom is in the ground before the sensor hits, so we might have to look at a different setup for that. Maybe the raven one is the best for that.

If I was to buy a self propelled sprayer, I'd probably look at a patriot or a rogator.  The 854 rogator's have sure come down a lot.  You can pick one up for around 30-40k now. I'd stay away from any coupes that isn't 4wd if you have wet land. Guys here with them were keeping a tractor on the field to pull them out. Even the newer ones.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:55 PM, db1486 said:

If I was to buy a self propelled sprayer, I'd probably look at a patriot or a rogator.  The 854 rogator's have sure come down a lot.  You can pick one up for around 30-40k now. I'd stay away from any coupes that isn't 4wd if you have wet land. Guys here with them were keeping a tractor on the field to pull them out. Even the newer ones.

I watched a pretty nice Apache HC sell at a farm auction today for $36,000. Not a bad looking machine for the price 

I finished up my second application on the RR canola yesterday. It is growing like crazy in the almost ideal conditions. I saw a few fields starting to flower in my travels today. I was a little surprised to see this patch of what looks like herbicide drift damage on my canola yesterday. 

Canola black patch.jpg

Happen to catch the model number of it. We've looked at the slightly newer models a bit and considered them. I think their a decent sprayer for what they are. Set of good floaters on the back and they'll go through quite a bit if mud too. Took some pics tonight ill have to try and post up in the next couple of days.  Canola had really shot up. Will be bolting next week I think. Oats are in the flag leaf stage now and should be heading out within the next 19 or so days. Same goes with the wheat.  Hopefully miss the wheat midge this year. 

Yes everything is looking awesome all over the province even in my area we were in a terrible drought last year now getting the best looking crops in a while, I hear on the radio spraying there all ready panicking to make sure the elevators and rail roads are up to the task to move this big crop as I wouldn't get to carried away just yet it not in the bin