Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2016 crop pics

Billie Jo and Bobbi Jo retired from their "Lucrative" careers at he hotel. Oliver Wendell Douglas died when his Hoyt-Clagwell-Deere suddenly quit running and was hit by the Cannonball at a RR Xing. Lisa Douglas mysteriously disappeared, but rumored to have been seen at the Beverly Hills mansion oil tycoon JD Clampett.

Poor farmer ,love the pictures of the rolling parkland , I know farming there is no bed of roses but the scenery can't be beat. I have helped my son in law harvest just north of Waka Lake the last three falls ,the autumn colors are unbelievable .

Speaking of getting stuck I've been working for my cousin .I planted his 9620 pulling the land roller and it took 3 hours and 250 feet of tow rope to get me out .

I've been curious to try our air drill with some flax but so far haven't bothered. Your flower bed looks much the same as mine lol. Fields are pretty good this spring for dandelions but they're all over the yard this year. Cut them off with the mower in the morning and their blooming by noon again almost.lol.. Just got done more or less mowing our yard hasn't been cut this spring yet so it was getting a little tall in a few spots. Got so many trees to cut around it's a bit of a pain doing the whole yard. Our mower is kind of big and clumsy too so that doesn't help. 

Cleavers are a nasty little weed that can be difficult to get rid of and in some cases almost impossible now. There are places where it's getting immune to spray. Some people haven't watched the herbicide group rotation and some chemicals have no effect on them. I don't think we have any that are chemical tolerant but they're such a small weed it's very hard to get them all when you spray. They're a viney weed that will wrap on everything and anything too.

Wakaw lake isn't to far away accross country. Carrot River starts from there I believe. It drains through just a little south of me.

This is a pic from last fall on my rented land looking out the cab of the combine overlooking the saskatchewan river. Always a nice view in the fall. Always wanted to go down the river in the fall when all the leaves are changing but never have.

IMG_0735.JPG

24 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I've been curious to try our air drill with some flax but so far haven't bothered. 

Cleavers are a nasty little weed that can be difficult to get rid of and in some cases almost impossible now. There are places where it's getting immune to spray. Some people haven't watched the herbicide group rotation and some chemicals have no effect on them. 

Wakaw lake isn't to far away accross country.

This is a pic from last fall on my rented land looking out the cab of the combine overlooking the saskatchewan river. Always a nice view in the fall. Always wanted to go down the river in the fall when all the leaves are changing but never have.

That is some scenic country you farm by the river. And Wakaw lake is familiar as I know some folks that have a lake shore cabin there. 

No cleavers in my flax but I have one field with herbicide resistant wild oats and there are not that many options to use in flax other than avadex. 

This is a picture I took of last year's flax crop in bloom in July. Ok, I guess I won't . The pic is downsized to only 447 kb but RP is telling me it is too big???

We always used centurion and Buctril M. Used to use Poast but Centurion's cheaper. Had to be careful with overlap as it would burn the flax a little. Didn't want to spray if it was badly stressed.  That's odd mine was 403 or somewhere in there and it uploaded ok.  Maybe downsize it a bit more and it'll be ok, I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We always used centurion and Buctril M. Used to use Poast but Centurion's cheaper. Had to be careful with overlap as it would burn the flax a little. Didn't want to spray if it was badly stressed.  That's odd mine was 403 or somewhere in there and it uploaded ok.  Maybe downsize it a bit more and it'll be ok, I'm not sure. 

Well the photo upload worked this morning. Herbicide resistant wild oats are a sneaky problem that I did not realize I had on that field. Centurion and it's similar group herbicides will not touch resistant wild oats. Keep rotating those herbicide groups is the message to take from this. 

Flax July 15 sm.jpg

Nice picture. Flax looks good too. We don't have any resistance here yet but I suspect its coming.  We try to switch groups fairly often but some years its hard.  Once everything becomes immune to roundup I don't know how we'll farm anymore lol.  Get the cultivator back out and blacken everything up again I guess.  Been quite a few years now since we've done any summerfallow.  Had a 30 acre field we did about 5 years ago I guess that would've been the last one. Was terrible for cleavers and storks bill so we took it out of rotation for a year. 

On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Nice picture. Flax looks good too. We don't have any resistance here yet but I suspect its coming.  We try to switch groups fairly often but some years its hard.  Once everything becomes immune to roundup I don't know how we'll farm anymore lol.  Get the cultivator back out and blacken everything up again I guess.  Been quite a few years now since we've done any summerfallow.  Had a 30 acre field we did about 5 years ago I guess that would've been the last one. Was terrible for cleavers and storks bill so we took it out of rotation for a year. 

Ahh cleavers and storks bill. I thought we were the only ones with them. Lol. We had bad cleavers in one field of canola one year. Didn't take much to clean it up though afterwards. Now storks bill is a tough one. I don't know if the deer brought it in here but it's tough to get rid of.  Not a lot of chemicals really get it. 

I think summerfallow might be the way to go back to. Worked good for years. We still work everything in fall too so that might help a bit. 

As for seeding flax we always use the Valmar on the cultivator. Never had a bad crop yet from it.

Spraying storks bill in the fall after harvest helps allot. We've cleaned up a few fields doing that. Also seeding canola and spraying twice now at full rate liberty centurion has helped allot. Costs a bit but at least the field is clean then come fall. Not real fond of roudup ready canola we grow invigor almost exclusively.

I know there was a big improvement from our Friggstad air seeder to the press drill that we used. Everything came up so even with it. Was only 10 or 12 years old when I started seeding with it, was pretty hard to mess up with it though. I personally haven't grown flax since I left 20 acres out over winter about 7 or 8 years ago. Dad's done it a bit since then but not much. Prices have been up it's been tempting. One problem is we're just far enough north some years it's hard to get off if you don't get it in early enough. Haven't combine any with the 2188 yet but the massey was sure a battle sometimes.

On 5/30/2016 at 8:59 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Spraying storks bill in the fall after harvest helps allot. We've cleaned up a few fields doing that. Also seeding canola and spraying twice now at full rate liberty centurion has helped allot. Costs a bit but at least the field is clean then come fall. Not real fond of roudup ready canola we grow invigor almost exclusively.

I know there was a big improvement from our Friggstad air seeder to the press drill that we used. Everything came up so even with it. Was only 10 or 12 years old when I started seeding with it, was pretty hard to mess up with it though. I personally haven't grown flax since I left 20 acres out over winter about 7 or 8 years ago. Dad's done it a bit since then but not much. Prices have been up it's been tempting. One problem is we're just far enough north some years it's hard to get off if you don't get it in early enough. Haven't combine any with the 2188 yet but the massey was sure a battle sometimes.

Flax is the reason I got a 7721 conventional combine as I just could not stop it wrapping on the rock trap beater in the 1660 axial. 

I think dessicating flax pre harvest is becoming popular around here to speed up ripening. Although I don't do it I can see it would be an advantage those falls when the straw just stays green forever. 

Had another 3/4 inch of rain last night here and boy are things growing. My first field of wheat will be ready to spray before I am. Took the photo this afternoon. 

Wheat SE16.jpg

We never had a problem combining flax with the 1482 till last fall/winter. It was steady wrapping on the auger and stone trap beater. To help on the auger we wrap it with duct tape. But it was still wrapping on the beater. 

I got mixed up when I was combining and ended up going backwards down the swath. And it went through without wrapping! So if it's gonna wrap, pick the swath up backwards. Did over half the field picking it up backwards and I never had to unwrap a single strand of straw.

Sometimes you find things out by screwing up! Lol.

Wheat looks like its growing good little further ahead of ours I think. Haven't been back to it in a week though so not sure what it looks like now.  We'll start spraying early next week I think.  Pretty well have the sprayer ready to go. Going to look at a high clearance sprayer tomorrow maybe. Its got more hours on it then I'd like(3430) but it all depends on how it was cared for.  

Flax sure can be miserable at times. Its the one crop that can be the easiest to combine and the hardest to combine even within a few hours of each other.  I'll have to remember that trick for the future.  With the Massey I found that it helped if I pushed it as hard as I possibly could. Could usually get 2 or 3 acres then at least before those bloody paddles wrapped up and looked like spools of thread wrapped about as tight as a piano string. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Flax sure can be miserable at times. Its the one crop that can be the easiest to combine and the hardest to combine even within a few hours of each other.  I'll have to remember that trick for the future.  With the Massey I found that it helped if I pushed it as hard as I possibly could. Could usually get 2 or 3 acres then at least before those bloody paddles wrapped up and looked like spools of thread wrapped about as tight as a piano string. 

And then get the sawzall out to cut for an hour. Been there and done that on the rock trap beater of the IH. At least it gave me enough warning with a distant growl that told me to stop before it got too far. I learned that the hard way. Never started a fire in that one but almost did in the JD pull type. Thought I had beaten the flax problems when one day, with no warning,  smoke starts coming out the feeder house. The return drive shaft above the cylinder had wrapped up tight as a drum and rubbed on the sheet metal burning the paint off the outside and starting the straw on the shaft burning. Lucky it was a reasonably quiet day with wet ground to prevent spreading fire. Days like that I wonder why I keep growing it.

Too windy (for me but not for some) to spray here today so I'm hoping for better things tomorrow. 

Might start spraying tomorrow if the weather cooperates. First seeded stuff is jumping up pretty quickly now. Hopefully get all the oats done at once and then do the wheat so we can save rinsing the sprayer once.

Lines aren't gps straight but they're close.lol.. Ignore the plugged seed boot to the left in the pic though.lol..

IMG_1107.JPG

Some pictures of a neighbour's winter wheat over here. (South West Wales )

Taken 26th May 2016. Ear has not emerged. I opened this up with my daughters to show them how it grows.

20160526_153224_zpstjgel4um.jpg
20160526_153212_zps8hfb2alm.jpg
20160526_153218_zpsqnnc9iit.jpg

Taken today 05 June 16.

Same field. Ear has emerged .

20160605_161942_zpsppr2684m.jpg
20160605_161953_zps5wufmwnz.jpg
20160605_161920_zpsklg6dfy4.jpg
20160605_161928_zpsxmrqwtuj.jpg
20160605_161958_zpstm1hig93.jpg

Apologies I've just realised I may have hijacked a thread. Thought it was crop pictures in general. Sorry

No worries.  That's what makes the forum interesting is seeing what things are like elsewhere.  Crop looks good. Looks like some nice sized heads on it. 

No spraying today at all today. Winds been blowing something fierce all day now.  Seems we always get windy weather this time of the year. Always a struggle to find nice weather to spray in. 

Go to. Www.jksmokerfarm.com and click on our farm through the seasons for a look at the winter wheat crop in NW Indiana. This should be one of our best wheat crops ever. Have to wait and see as we still have 4 weeks to harvest and we all know anything can happen. 

Jerry

3 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

Apologies I've just realised I may have hijacked a thread. Thought it was crop pictures in general. Sorry

Interesting to see your winter wheat over there. From the length of those heads I would think it should be a high yielder. 

Terrible windy day for spraying crops here but I did get a tank of roundup on canola done this morning. Wind was already pretty bad by 8:30 but I was already well into it and the volounteer flax was thicker than the canola so it needed doing right quick. The unpredictable weather and wind sure helps make spraying time more stressful. 

This pic is off the trail camera. I was cutting some grass the other day while I waited on the weather. That dark blue sky did bring up a rain storm and gave us another half inch. 

Sprayer and JD 111.jpg

Up early this morning with hopes of spraying but there's heavy dew on everything. 43°F now. Hopefully warms up quick and dries this moisture off. Not much wind so far so hopefully get the oats done today. 

16 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Up early this morning with hopes of spraying but there's heavy dew on everything. 43°F now. Hopefully warms up quick and dries this moisture off. Not much wind so far so hopefully get the oats done today. 

Same here. It did not look like it was going to be any good but turned out to be the best spraying weather i have seen in a long time. Not too hot, no wind. I finished the canola and got one partial field of wheat done. Looking good but I did not get much in the way of photos. Shot this view while I was in the yard for a refill. 

Yard June 6.jpg

Finished the oats yesterday and hopefully the wheat today.  Can finish the canola tomorrow if the winds and rain hold off.  

Smoker 1 that's a nice website you guys have put together.  I thought about building a site at one time but I just don't have the time to manage it and look after it properly. 

After a perfect day yesterday it is going downhill today. Wind was already blowing some early in the morning and by mid morning it was more than I wanted to spray in. I did finish another field of wheat though. Took this shot of the Magnum and Brandt as I was leaving the field.. Notice the almost leafless trees.  Our poplar bushes are pretty well stripped of leaves due the worst tent caterpillar infestation I have ever seen. 

Magnum spray June7.jpg

Crops are growing like crazy here with almost ideal conditions. Just too windy to spray some days. This canola is looking impressive today. Might not even need the second hit of Roundup. 

canola June 14.jpg