Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2016 crop pics

Recommended Posts

Took a picture of my flax field yesterday when we hauled off the 200 or so small square bales. Not a lot of snow yet and it is standing up well but of course thee is still 4 months of snow ahead. 

Flax bales Dec 3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got a bit more snow then us I think. Almost nothing here so far.Spread some dirt in a slough the other day with the cat. Very little frost in the ground yet. Worked good though was just enough ice on the slough that I could spread the dirt and between the dirt and the ice it would hold me up. Broke through a couple times and went to the bottom and thought oh boy here we go but it always backed out without any problems. Water was back almost to where the black dirt starts. had some stockpiled there just for this very reason. Hopefully eventually get it built up enough to farm through most of it. Other wise there's a little finger that goes up against the line fence that is quite tight to get into. Especially with the sprayers.

IMG_1564.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy down here about 300 miles south. Bismarck had 2 feet of snow in areas and we had about8 inches . A lot of it melted. Down the ground isn't frozen yet either underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

You've got a bit more snow then us I think. Almost nothing here so far.Spread some dirt in a slough the other day with the cat. Very little frost in the ground yet. Worked good though was just enough ice on the slough that I could spread the dirt and between the dirt and the ice it would hold me up. Broke through a couple times and went to the bottom and thought oh boy here we go but it always backed out without any problems. Water was back almost to where the black dirt starts. had some stockpiled there just for this very reason. Hopefully eventually get it built up enough to farm through most of it. Other wise there's a little finger that goes up against the line fence that is quite tight to get into. Especially with the sprayers.

 

Not so much snow here but the ground is well frozen.

It must be nice to have the heavy equipment to do that kind of ground work.  I have to use (and abuse) my poor old Massey and front end loader as seen in the pic from last spring. Hauled a good few loads from a rock pile to fill in a mud hole on the prairie tail. It did a good job though. I finally hauled a few loads of gravel this fall to cover over the rocks. 

 

Massey rock spreading.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

colder than H**L Today the temperature really dropped over night the Wind didn't help my truck said -14 with wind was -25  Good thing I put everything away with the -3 weather and no wind yesterday

Got alittle snow just a little dusting to make a few little soft drifts here and there

 

Winters here time to kick back and chill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cat is a antique by todays standards but the ol girl gets the job done. It's a 1964 D7E.  Comes in handy from time to time. Dirt was all moved with the old internation 1500 so we're not so different ralph lol.. 

That slough was almost completley dry 8 years ago when I brush cut it. Only did half the slough then the high waters came and the beavers moved in. Within 4 years all of the trees were dead just from the high water. Cleared it all out now around the outside.  Older picture looking to the east just after i brush cut. Quads siting right at the east end of the slough in that other skating picture.

100_3127.JPG

Wind was downright nasty here today too. Hoping the snow starts coming fairly soon. frost will be starting to set up in the ground a little bit now. Yard was froze up real hard but out in the fields where there was a little straw or grass it sure hadn't gone down very far. Water is still running in the runs yet actually. will be for another couple of months probably. Seems to just keep oozing through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just siting in line waiting to dump at the elevator. Not quite as bad of line up at the elevator today but with the warm weather it seems everyone wants to haul. Taking in some of our February contract oats. We'll clean a few bins out so there's a little less to haul next year I guess. 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice to only haul in nice weather but we are at the mercy of the terminals when they call a contract. Cargill wanted the oats last week when it was wind chill in the -30C range. Luckily we were able to re -schedule to this Monday and got it done in much warmer conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Would be nice to only haul in nice weather but we are at the mercy of the terminals when they call a contract. Cargill wanted the oats last week when it was wind chill in the -30C range. Luckily we were able to re -schedule to this Monday and got it done in much warmer conditions. 

You guys still have Cargill up there? Down here they sold all the small elevators 20 years ago. Now gavilon, which used to be peavy, and now pattison from Canada built terminals. Plus we have local coops. We are spoiled down here you usually can deliver grain anytime you want except barley. Which needs tone contracted. We hauled around a 100,000 bushels in during harvest . The smartest thing we have done the last years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup still a few cargail elevators around here. Not many though. In a 100 mile radius I know of 2 that are still operating.  Most have been shut down and torn down so competitors will not get ahold of them. 

We can usually haul when we want but sometimes if you don't have it on paper its very difficult to get it in. Last year we were hauling canola 80 miles away because the local elevators couldn't take any spot canola.  Got a little better basis out of it and a little better dockage as well so we did get paid for the trucking in a sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Yup still a few cargail elevators around here. Not many though. In a 100 mile radius I know of 2 that are still operating.  Most have been shut down and torn down so competitors will not get ahold of them. 

We can usually haul when we want but sometimes if you don't have it on paper its very difficult to get it in. Last year we were hauling canola 80 miles away because the local elevators couldn't take any spot canola.  Got a little better basis out of it and a little better dockage as well so we did get paid for the trucking in a sense. 

We were 30 miles from the adm plant. Where we planted canola so it all got contracted and delivered in harvest. It is an 18 mile haul to local coop we haul wheat and soybeans to.they are a shuttle loading elevator like in the picture that was posted. Open Sunday's through harvest so it helps. Then the gavilon terminal is 70 miles away we haul a lot of corn there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya it was a lot better to deal with grain this week I got the semi unloaded wheat sat on it for over a month one compartment needed a beating to come out but got it out nicely no elevator is taking tough grain due to 2 dryer burnt up at 2 of them, I got 1 load of canola out they said they were full, train coming on Christmas eve or day so I was done that quick wait till after I guess, still came out of the bin cool and tested 9.3% moisture and low dockage and really good weight

Seems like the day of Hauling whenever you needed the cash are over you have to book everything 2-3 month in advance which sucks

Still a concrete Cargill here used to be a UGG Built in the late 90's I've hauled to it a few times  I have been dealing with Richardson Pioneer and G3 Global here lately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driers are going full bore here. Can actually see the steam coming off in the pic I posted. Everything I've hauled in so far has been within 1 point so they've been cutting the drying charges back some on anything that is a little tough and helping out where they can. It's all appreciated so we keep hauling. Viterra looks after us pretty good here. We do haul to P&H as well. Has been a few years since we've hauled to richardson.(elevator is just to the right in the picture) They seem to have they're own following that they cater to here. Alot of it is guys that owe them money. Not always though. P&H does that to a certain degree as well. They offer interest free on inputs till Oct 31 so of course there it's a incentive for you to haul your grain in off the combine. They are still competitive though with prices so if you're close it's not a bad deal. We've dealt with the same company for just about 20 years now and 20 years before that the owners were with the other company we dealt with. They always get NH3 out to us quick and have good pricing so we just stay there too. Owners are somewhat friends of ours as well so that helps some too.

Gone are the days of hauling 10-12 miles it seems. Everything is centralized now to a certain degree. Sure doesn't take long to plug the elevator up though when everyone starts hauling. Especially if the grain is tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wheatking said:

 

Seems like the day of Hauling whenever you needed the cash are over you have to book everything 2-3 month in advance which sucks

 

Yes, that is just one of the things I hate about how the grain handling system has changed. I am old enough to recall the days of having 3 grain companies in our little village only 12 miles away to haul to. Sure there were times they might not have space and waiting for cars but usually you could just phone and arrange to haul the same day or the next. Sitting in line ups with 300 bushels along with little one tons with half that. But its all ancient history now. 

 

Poolcomp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They built a wood cribbed annex onto the barley feed elevator at our coop when I graduated high school in 88. Looks like a big building and a couple years ago I asked it holds 15000 bushels. They put up three bins after that on the wheat elevator that held 30,000. Now that is all only used for corn and barley. They built 2 new concrete silo elevators down the block. Our coops are pretty good they don't pile anything outside but always seem to get trains in to keep grain flowin. We are on the main Burlington northern line to the west coast though so it helps. Think our coop handles about 10 million beheld a year but there are other ones in a 60 mile radius double that. Plus a couple of private companies about that big in the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wooden Sask Wheat Pool elevator being built in the 1984 photo only lasted just into the next millennium before it was demolished and the rail line was torn up. The waste just makes no sense to me. I guess times changed faster than anybody could ever have foreseen in 1984. 

UGG coming down.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes fortunately I am just old enough to remember the elevators in my town Wheat pool and UGG both knocked down in early 2000's Rail line still there though, really wish they were still there It would be really cool just to haul into town would get a lot more done in a day

the topic of the old wheat pool came up at a Christmas party and 1 guy figured there was an ounce of booze drank for every bushel that elevator handled, the old fella than ran it used to have alittle to much fun at work how times have changed there Eh hahaha

 

Hutterites still drying away they took off at around 23-25% stored in bags now drying it in shift they gotta dry it down let it cool then dry down some more to prevent burning it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wheatking said:

Yes fortunately I am just old enough to remember the elevators in my town Wheat pool and UGG both knocked down in early 2000's Rail line still there though, really wish they were still there It would be really cool just to haul into town would get a lot more done in a day

the topic of the old wheat pool came up at a Christmas party and 1 guy figured there was an ounce of booze drank for every bushel that elevator handled, the old fella than ran it used to have alittle to much fun at work how times have changed there Eh hahaha

 

Hutterites still drying away they took off at around 23-25% stored in bags now drying it in shift they gotta dry it down let it cool then dry down some more to prevent burning it

It used to be the old guys down here for every little truck load they hauled to local elevator. They had to stop and have a few drinks to wash the dust down. Then at 3:00 had to be last load so you could get to the bar and call it a night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this