Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2016 crop pics

Thought I'd throw a few pics up on here tonight from seeding this spring. Maybe keep the post going throughout summer if anyone wants to see the pics of the crop progressing through till harvest.

Nothing to new or fancy but it all works when it's needed to.

May 7th all lined up ready to start seeding on the home quarter.

post-761-0-92899800-1464059382_thumb.jpg

Never took any pics of the next couple quarters and then had a rain/snow delay so skip ahead to may 15. Had just moved out to my rented land where the roads are bad to say the least. Didn't break anything along the way this time though so it was a good move.

post-761-0-30232300-1464059485_thumb.jpg

Sunset pic while I finished up that night.

post-761-0-86588900-1464059676_thumb.jpg

Made it back home and started on the canola only to have this happen a couple hours into the first quarter.

post-761-0-07693100-1464060441_thumb.jpg

Was on a side hill but the water table is so high you don't know where you'll spin out. Ground is just mush once you break the crust and the old versatile just couldn't get any traction. Hooked the other tractor on and it pulled out very easily though.

Still on the same quarter.

post-761-0-31064900-1464060568_thumb.jpg

Finished off that one without any further problems and hopped accross to the other side of the road to some of our other land.

post-761-0-77733300-1464060644_thumb.jpg

Couple more pics while I was finishing off that piece.

post-761-0-57229600-1464060727_thumb.jpg post-761-0-13055400-1464060770_thumb.jpg

DIdn't take any more pics from seeding but snaped this pic two nights ago of the oats at home.

post-761-0-34150800-1464060843_thumb.jpg

That's it for now. Don't want to bore anyone with more pics for now anyways.lol..

Ryan

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for showing us around.

Seems to be coming up pretty well.

Tony

Looking good and always interesting to see other planting equipment at work. Still fields to seed here although not a lot. I might have finished today but a series of ^% ups set me back and I'll be at it again tomorrow.

post-90-0-88948000-1464066857_thumb.jpg

Very nice, always neat to see how other parts of the country put in crops.

Good pics. So open and such big stuff!

Thanks everyone. We're pretty close to the forest fringe but where we are its fairly open. Still some trees in the fence lines but any farmable land has pretty well been cleared and broke up by now. We've left some bush on the one quarter close to home and have another quarter that's on the edge of a forest that's like a little wildlife habitat. Has about 60 acres of heavy bush on it with everything from bears to elk and most everything inbetween.

Crops are looking really good so far but as we all know they're a long ways from the bins yet.

Troy,its funny you say that we're considered pretty small by today's standards around here. But what we have is ours and we'd kinda like to keep it that way too.

Hopefully everything lines up for you Ralph and you can wrap things up.

Nice pictures and write up. I'm with Troy, it all looks so big.

Thanks. Glad you like them. If anyone is wondering the air drill is 40' with a 225 bushel air cart behind and twin 1,000 gallon tanks behind that again. Last year we pulled twin 1450 tanks but it was definitely a heavier load for the tractor. The Versatile is 285 hp and there are times where it's using it all. As long as it's reasonably dry it pulls quite nicely though. Wish we had more traction though, that's usually my limiting factor when I get stuck. I've never actually run out of power but there's times where it will lug it down pretty good.

Troy,its funny you say that we're considered pretty small by today's standards around here. But what we have is ours and we'd kinda like to keep it that way too.

The big operators seem to run two oufits around me. I was working beside a couple of new JD units with 60 something foot air drills in one direction. Two CIH pulling similar sized Bourgaults in another direction.

Yes, all the pieces fell together today and I think I finished up with the air seeder. Took this photo out the back window of the Magnum this morning. Skies were awesome and we did get a bit of rain in the afternoon.

post-90-0-98889900-1464152139_thumb.jpg

Very nice and open ground. How many acres do you average a day?

The big operators seem to run two oufits around me. I was working beside a couple of new JD units with 60 something foot air drills in one direction. Two CIH pulling similar sized Bourgaults in another direction.

Yes, all the pieces fell together today and I think I finished up with the air seeder. Took this photo out the back window of the Magnum this morning. Skies were awesome and we did get a bit of rain in the afternoon.

You know ,I've always believed in finding that particular sweet spot in acres and operational size, for me , get debt down low and enjoy farming & the farm operation & taking time to smell the roses along the way.

Tony

Nice outfit you got there. Must be a 5710 drill. The Versatile/ Bourgault combo is still a common sight around here. Even the new ones!

Glad to hear guys are wrapping up out that way too. There's a few guys done here, lots are on the home stretch now though. We got one field left, so by Thursday we should have things done. Unless it rains. How's the moisture out there? We're really dry now. The wheat is germinated and just sitting in the dry ground wondering what to do.

Nice outfit you got there. Must be a 5710 drill. The Versatile/ Bourgault combo is still a common sight around here. Even the new ones!

Glad to hear guys are wrapping up out that way too. There's a few guys done here, lots are on the home stretch now though. We got one field left, so by Thursday we should have things done. Unless it rains. How's the moisture out there? We're really dry now. The wheat is germinated and just sitting in the dry ground wondering what to do.

No shortage of moisture here as we are still dealing with years of excess rainfall and lost acres due to flooding. This spring was better than the past few years with closer to normal precip and almost ideal seeding conditions (where it wasn't under water). Funny though, I got stuck three times this spring which is more than I have in a long time.

post-90-0-28740100-1464179214_thumb.jpg

Good to hear you finished up too Ralph. Its a good feeling when you come to the last cut and roll across it. Most of the bigger guys are running 2 drills here too. Some guys have 3 or 4 now to cover all of their acres. No need to be that big if you ask me but what does my opinion matter lol.

Bgriffin856 I usually seed 100-150 acres a day. With canola I can do more as I don't have to fill up as often but don't usually exceed those numbers.

I would like to pick up some more land so we could expand our equipment line to make things a little easier. Want to get a newer high clearance sprayer but its hard to justify spending what the dealers are wanting on our acres. We can do it but it certainly won't be on cash out pocket that's for sure lol.

db1486 thanks and yes its a 5710. Its a 2004 model so it has most of the same updates as the new ones. The mid row banders are a pain sometimes but they do get the job done without to much fuss. Had to do a bunch of the hub bearings this spring. Did about half of them. Not a job I enjoy much but now its good again. They don't work good in heavy straw though. Dad harrowed that one oat stubble field twice and there was still the odd spot where the banded behind the front caster wheel would plug up. Newer ones are supposed to be better they said.

We have lots of moisture here yet. I was talking with some people yesterday and there was a nasty storm that went through just north and east of us. Places to the east of us got anywhere from 2-5 inches of rain and hail to boot. Sure glad we didn't see that here. We were in the bush on the quads right on the south edge of that storm when it went through and it was a bit scary there at times. Hiding trying to get out of the rain with lighting all around us.

We got stuck 3 times as well this spring. Never bad but still a pain.

You can't see it in this photo from yesterday but my flax is coming out of the ground already and looking pretty good. I only got about a third of the acres burned off with pre emergent roundup after seeding due to high wind so will have to rely on post emergents to control the weeds. Got lucky with the rain yesterday as it will help germination of the later crops. Finished up picking rocks in the rain using the 970 Case. 

970 rock picker.jpg

Do you seed your flax with the air seeder? Dad never had much luck with his old air seeder seeding flax. Couldn't get it packed good enough. We have a 14' iternational press drill that we used for flax. Did a awesome job but was a wee bit slower. Haven't tried the air drill so I don't know how it will do. We've been cleaning up the land on account of cleavers in the flax one year so we haven't grown it now for probably 5 years. I think we've got some of it cleaned up enough now it could go back into flax but there's still some spots where it would be iffy. 

We didn't do any pre seed burn off this spring. We sprayed everything after harvest last fall and got a pretty good kill so the fields weren't to bad for weeds. Probably start spraying end of next week begening of the week after though. Never seem to get to much of a break in between seeding and spraying. 

33 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Do you seed your flax with the air seeder? Dad never had much luck with his old air seeder seeding flax. Couldn't get it packed good enough. We have a 14' iternational press drill that we used for flax. Did a awesome job but was a wee bit slower. Haven't tried the air drill so I don't know how it will do. We've been cleaning up the land on account of cleavers in the flax one year so we haven't grown it now for probably 5 years. I think we've got some of it cleaned up enough now it could go back into flax but there's still some spots where it would be iffy. 

As a non-speaker of Canadian, WHAT are "cleavers"

10 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

As a non-speaker of Canadian, WHAT are "cleavers"

Think he is talking about Theodore or Wally.......??    :P

Cleavers is supposed to be one of the worst weeds in flax but I honestly don't know if I'd recognize it. The buyers have never complained so I guess I don't have it. 

On the air seeder, it does a fine job on flax and canola. The emergence looks as good as it ever did behind my old Morris Seed Rites. Flax is a bit less critical on planting depth and packing than canola I find. I did harrow pack behind the air seeder too so that might have helped. 

One of the biggest problem weeds i have here lately is dandelions. Acres of yellow out in the fields . Sweeps on the air seeder get most of them but I did the post seeding burn off on part of the field before the wind got ahead of me. Got no pictures of the flax but I'll get a few shortly as it starts to show up better. For now, here are the dandelions in my yard. Thats right, I need to cut my grass too!

R160 dandelions.jpg

So that is where they settled once their program went off the air.

Now, if we knew where Hootersville is?

1 hour ago, Art From DeLeon said:

So that is where they settled once their program went off the air.

Now, if we knew where Hootersville is?

Oh yes Billie Jo Bobbi Jo Betty Jo....forget Uncle Joe