Sign in to follow this  
IHC4life

1984 International 4300 Semi Tractor

lorenzo    0

Does your after cooler look like this first picture (Big Cam 4)  or the second picture ( Big Cam 3) ??

Big Cam 4.jpg

Big cam 3.jpg

PORKY B.    0

that will tell you the info call cummins with the cpl

IHC4life    0

ok thank you, I will check it out

IHC4life    0
On 7/24/2016 at 10:16 AM, lorenzo said:

Does your after cooler look like this first picture (Big Cam 4)  or the second picture ( Big Cam 3) ??

Big Cam 4.jpg

Big cam 3.jpg

it looks like the lower engine.

lorenzo    0

Most of the old timer's that were around these 855 Cummins during the 80's and 90's prefer the big cam 3 rather then the later version that became the big cam 4.

It's just an opinion of course but they all agree that if your going to build one or hop one up the Big Cam 3 is the one to do it with. Sounds like that's what you have.

I drove an 85 Kenworth today with a Big Cam 3 in it but I really couldn't feel any difference. I like the 3406 B model Cat and there are plenty of parts available to keep them on the road but it's a bit tougher to get The Cummins stuff. One thing for sure that Separates the  Cat from the Cummins is the Jake's.  It's been my experience that the Cat engine brake is about like holding your hat out the window but the 855 Cummins with a set of Jakes is very effective.

My Pete had a Big Cam 4 version known as the step timing NT88 but I swapped it out for the Pre step timing version.

Good luck with your project and keep us up to date on your progress. 

IHC4life    0

I checked the CPL number and the engine is a Big Cam III.

IHC4life    0

Still working on the truck. The interior is at the upholstery shop.  Added new air horns today and continued painting dash pieces.

ih1.jpg

ih2.jpg

lorenzo    0

Looking good,  thats going to be a head turner when your done.

IHC4life    0

Thank you, I will be excited to have it finished and on the road with a load of our antique tractors.

IH 5288 fan    0

Very excited to this project completed. It already looks amazing, can't wait to see the interior. 

IHC4life    0

Currently putting the new interior back in. Here is a couple pictures. The color for the interior was picked to pay respect to the older IH red and white. 

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

R Pope    0

That truck is the same as the first semi I drove, back in the 'eighties. Now I have an '88 Eagle with a 3406B Cat, about the last of the non-electronic engines. Love those Cornbinders!

Sask466    0

Agreed on the lack of stopping power in the Cat 3406b jakes.  We had a '86 9370 with a 400cat and we had a neighbor with a '88 T800 350cummins.   The cummins would stop way, way better.  There must have been something about the valve setup on the cummins that allowed the jake to be way more effective - I wonder if the cummins jake used the fuel pump lobes on the cam?  I have no idea just a theory.

The 3406 will pull down way lower that the Cummins though, its handy for pulling though corners, etc.   Feels like the cummins needs 200rpm extra to hang with the Cat.  

Sask466    0

One other thing - I think the 9270 and 9280 4wd's must have used big cam III's?  I am going off memory, but I recall the intercooler resembling the III from the pictures above.  If so that's a bit strange, as I think the 9200 series were made to '96ish?

ST-470    0

Sharp unit. Why is there Budd wheels on drivers and Dayton on steers?

IHC4life    0

This truck has Dayton wheels all the way around. 

R Pope    0

Sask466-agree on the Cat jake not being very effective. Love the low end power, though, more than makes up for the jake! A cousin has a 500 horse Cummins a,d my 425 Cat will run away from him, well, to as fast as it will go, about 72 mph. He's got an OD so he out top-ends me when he's empty, haha.

IHC4life    0

IMG_0288.JPG

TroyDairy    0

That interior is real sharp.  Like the thought into the colors and style.  

IHC4life    0

More pictures of finished interior.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IHC4life    0
3 hours ago, 75ih1466 said:

Where did you buy that truck? Kewanna IN area?

If I remember correctly just west off US 31 in the Argos, IN area.

IHC4life    0
23 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

That interior is real sharp.  Like the thought into the colors and style.  

Thank you, I have to admit the folks at Dygert Upholstery in Elkhart, IN helped me out with ideas on integrating the white and red. They really did a fantastic job.

Sask466    0

Awesome looking truck.  That drop visor suits the truck well.  I dig the Daytons, they are getting rare to see.   I might have missed it - are you painting them white or red?

It's cool to see an old IH long conventional being restored - to see a 4300 is a rare site.  You can tell that interior work is really well thought out.  It has been enhanced but still keeps all the original points. 

Does your truck have air powered wipers?  It looks like it from the pics.  Our 9370 had them.  

juniorsola    0

Awesome job on the resto, its one sharp 4300 now. More 4300 pics I see the more I want to try a 4300 hood on my 85 9370. Those big ol hoods just command attention.