Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rmo826@aol.com

5088 hydraulics

16 posts in this topic

I was discing today and all of the sudden I could not lower the disc. The lever works fine.It will try to go down a little bit and just stops. I switched the hoses from top to bottom and it made no difference. If I put the hoses on the other set of hydraulics it works fine so it is not the couplers.I don't think it is the tractor couplers either. Is there any adjustment in the hydraulic valves on the right side of the tractor by the tire?

Your detent valve may have either loosened or tightened itself up. If you crawl under the tractor on the right side, pry the little cap off on the remote valve. Its facing straight down to the ground. The spool is inside the tube, should be able to see the end of them. These can be adjusted with a flat screwdriver. The handle needs to raise, lower and also go into float with the adjustments. Also do a check on all your linkage, just make sure nothing is worn to excessive and binding up.

Some of the 50 series were ordered with double acting check valves. If it has them they are a square block in the hydraulic lines above the axle, could be on one or more valves. If it has them could be broken springs in them or they could be worn out, I had to replace one that was shot.

Not to hijack the thread, friend has a problem with 5288. Neither of his remotes will float. He said you can be in the down detent and go to float and he says it goes to the float detent but the implement wont float. Will a closed center system float with the engine off. Such as having a disc hooked up, with it in raised postion. Shut engine off, should it float being a closed system. We have had plenty of boxcar magnums but i guess i have never tried it.

Its probably one of the drop checks as others have said. If these are hanging they will not float either. The motor valve as far as I know never had the checks in them, so if you can plug in that one and everything is fine its the checks.

Mike

I worked on my 5088 today. Mine does have the block with the check valves on it. I unscrewed the plug on top and removed the spring and ball. Put the plug back in and the disc lowers as it should. Now it will even lower with the tractor off. Thanks for the help

I am having the same problem with my 5488.  Can you tell me where and what the check valve looks like.  Some commented about it being above the axle,. I don't see any box type check valve.  Pics do wonders for me if you can get one.  I really need yalls help. 

dont have any pics of it, but follow the lines from the rear couplers all the way to the remote valves..  If yours has it there will be a block in the lines along the way

Mike

Ok. After I posted earlier I got my dad to operate lever while I checked the linkage to make sure spool was moving far enough.  I also tapped on the spool.  It let the disk down.  Now it does the same thing opposite of staying raised.   It will not go up now.   If I don't have the check valve what is the next step?  Adjusting the spool with a screw driver from the bottom?  

The outline is the check valve one will be on the left side and one on the right side if you have three remotes. Hydraulic lines come from valve stack behind the right hand battery and tire and run to the check valve block then come out the back and go to the rear of tractor to the remote coupler housings.

58d09fa793035_DSCF1602(3)_LI_Moment.thumb.jpg.ef23a3f4f896984aec110cfbc85238df.jpg

the screw you are talking about has nothing to do with flow.  It is for detent retention only.  Have you tried one of the other couplers. does it do the same thing?

Mike

That's the next thing I was gonna try mike.  It seems like the lines have pressure on them therefore making hard to unhook.  Now that it is down I hope I can get them unhooked and try the other outlet today.  

5 hours ago, Petey said:

That's the next thing I was gonna try mike.  It seems like the lines have pressure on them therefore making hard to unhook.  Now that it is down I hope I can get them unhooked and try the other outlet today.  

If the lines seem to pressurize most likely one of the male pioneer tips or one of the female couplers is not opening. We have had many brand new male tips fail to work within a year of initial use.