Good Hope IH

1977 International Loadstar 1800 tandem axle cab & chassis worth?

Was wondering what this would be worth 1977 International Loadstar 1800 tandem axle cab & chassis

With 446-V8, 5+4 trans, new interior, 151,061 miles showing. On auction that I am going to next week end. Thanks

Link to sale http://www.kramerauction.com/auctions/equipment/displaysale_v2.php?AuctionID=1259

lightninboy    0

It looks like the auction has a lot of quality IH stuff.

I think the way to buy a truck is to see what a used late-model Freightliner or International sells for and then adjust your bid accordingly.

wheatking    0

Pictures don't do the justice I've seen that truck myself it's a real beauty, all of ron's stuff is well taken care of

I know his plan was to build a flat deck on it and put a couple water tanks on or spraying

I would guess the truck would go around 6-7 thousand

I might make my way up to the sale but don't know yet

R Pope    0

A gas tandem with a 5 and 4? Not a real desirable combination. Slow and thirsty, and parts are hard to find. Especially distributor parts, impossible. That said, it's better than the 550 also listed.......Worst engine ever!

IHRunner    0

The truck isnt "undesirable". Its just outdated by most standards. And anyone who says the dv550 is the worst engine ever hasnt ran the 8.2 or the triple nickle.

The 5 and 4 is basically gonna be a 5speed ih with a 3 speed brownie. The low low range probably cant be shifted out of and will be for moving through gravel pits at full load or tottering alongside a 1480 while its unloading. Theres a guy here in Rocky Ford colorado who was featured in a dvd who runs these transmissions better than anyone else. Id get the dvd and watch it. Your brownie will be under/direct/over. Unloaded i doubt you'll use it except to go into overdrive for highway speeds. The mv466 is a gas hog but durable. Electronic ignition goes a long ways. Top speed will depend on the gearing. With all those gears id expect it to putter along at 65

IHRunner    0

Whatever youre willing to pay. Its just an old truck to 90% of the world. But if the other 10% show up to that auction you may see prices go really high. Ive bought running loadstars for 500 and ive bought non running s series trucks for 3000. Just depends on who bids on it. What are your plans for it? Thats the biggest deciding factor of its value. If you have stupid state laws and no cdl then an 1800 has too high of a gvwr. If you have laws like colorado and just want to haul your own crap with a not for hire sign then its a much more useful truck. Id pay 5 for it just because its in a very fine condition. However i dont use the mv engines that much. I have a lot of parts for them but they arent my favorite because they dont doll up well. When you roll that hood forward i prefer to see the flowing script of the sv engines. But for work its a good truck and if she ever dies you just swap in an sv or a 7.3 and keep running it. Its a durable truck with a world famous chassis that has very few things to go wrong with it.

Id pay 5. You may pay more to play

I was thinking that I would pay up to $4500 for it and I want to make a flat bed for it with a beaver tail and a winch so I can haul our own stuff with it.

DOCTOR EVIL    0

The 5+4 we had in our ready mix trucks had the low gear of the Brownie as a creeper range. Way too slow to load out on the go from a combine unless you were in 4th or 5th in the main. Loaded or empty you started out in 2nd & 2nd, then 3&4 in the aux, shift to 3rd in the main and back to 2nd in the aux, then 3rd & 4th. Then 4th in the main and 2nd in the aux, then 3rd & 4th. Same thing in 5th. Empty you could skip a couple gears but that had more to do with how you timed shifting with the hills. Our mixers weighed 22,000# empty with 160 HP Cummins and empty we could hit 65 downhill with a tailwind, and about 55-60 loaded. Loaded we grossed about 50,500#. Talk about underpowered! The old 1966 Whites had a weak driveshaft between the main & aux. trans. Any time you put the main in 1st gear you had to put the aux. in 1st. You could put the aux. in 1st and run up the gears in the main. The two 1970 White Constructor's had similar 5+4's but I think the intermediate driveshaft was stronger. They also had Super Singles all around and shorter wheel bases, so were not near as good off road and rode much rougher. But they had 185 HP Cummins! A 160 plus turbo.

The '74 Diamond Reo's were a nice truck, 555 Cummins & 5-spd Allison and a 3-spd Brownie, a 2:1 under drive, direct, and .75 or .8:1 overdrive. A whole 208 HP! One I drove was less than a year old when I started driving it. The 555's were a MUCH better engine than the 8.2, I'd say equal to a 3208. Better than the DV-550 or 9.0L, Or the GMC Toro-Flow

Well I bought the truck for $4750 and learned a lot about driving it on the way home a trip that took 13 hours because of rough roads that would not let me do more then 60 km/h because it would bounce too much. It took six hours to drive there at normal speeds.

stampmaint1    0

I have the same setup in my grain truck. MV446 with 5 x 4 transmission. There is indeed 4 gears on the aux transmission. Best thing I did with mine was to ditch the Holley carb and put on a 750 cfm Edelbrock. The magnetic pick up in the distributer died on me. No longer available. I put a pextroics ingition and the truck has never started as good as it does now. I will find out this fall when I use the truck to haul grain. I hope the new carb will help tame down the terrible thirst for gas. 

DOCTOR EVIL    0
On 8/15/2017 at 6:29 PM, stampmaint1 said:

I hope the new carb will help tame down the terrible thirst for gas. 

Ha-Ha..... the Loadstar gas semi-tractor I drove one winter, 478 Cid gas V-8 had a 2 bbl Holley fed by a quarter inch gas line and it still used 20 gallons of gas per hour at 60-62 mph,  3 mpg.  Gross weight ranged from around 20,000# empty with 45 ft trailer to 35,000-40,000# loaded.

Good luck,  Hope your new carb saves you some gas.

stampmaint1    0

The parts guy at NAPA wanted to know what I did with the old carb. Told him it was setting on a saw horse in the building. He asked what I was going to do with it. I said smash it with a hammer and then to the dumpster. He offered to buy it. I quoted him $ 10 and gave me the money quick. Local Holley expert saw it on the floor after I sold it and he took one look at it and said "junk". Don't know if the buyer was there or not. Story told to me by the store owner. The elevator I go to is about 10 miles away. I could make 3 round trips then switch tanks. Have 3 of them. Not enough left to make a 4th trip, I admit I do push it pretty hard.