Tallgren    0

Bought this old TD9 a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_20160327_191136.jpg

image url

IMG_20160327_190400.jpg

jpg images

It was not running and had no gas cap on the tank so I only paid about what it was worth in scrap.

I took it home and cleaned the tank, hoses and changed the fuel filters. I also made a new gas cap.

When the time came to start it up I put a fresh battery in it and tried to crank it but it felt very tired.

The starter came off and got new bearings.

What a differense!

IMG_20160327_080657.jpg

screen shots

After the air was bled out of the system the motor fired up in a cloud of black smoke. But it did not respond very well to the throttle and it only ran for a few minutes and then it cut out. There were also a knocking noise like it was not running on all six cylinders.

I tried cranking it right away after it cut out but it did not want to start again.

I checked the filters for air but there were only fuel.

After about 10minutes I cranked it again and it started right up again only to cut out again after a minute or two.

I have tried many times now but its the same every time.

I also put on an electric fuel pump too feed the system but there are no improvements.

I think the problem is in the injection pump. Its an RD injection pump i belive. Not so common nowdays?

IMG_20160331_174117.jpg

screen capture windows

IMG_20160331_174122.jpg

free upload image

Are there any easy fix to this problem or do the pump need rebuilding or replacing?

First thing, the fuel cap you made, does it have a way for air to get in and displace the fuel that is being sucked out so there is no vacuum in the tank?

Second, did you check the inlet fitting going into the charge pump to see if there is a screen in it that may be clogged?

Next crack the fitting at the top of the all the injectors and have someone crank it. There should be fuel spitting out of each fitting. If there is not, or if it just kinda runs out instead of pulses, then you may have a pump problem or you could have a clogged injection line. I would assume you have blown out all the fuel lines including the injection lines and the return lines/hoses.

Make sure you don't have an air leak on the suction side of the pump at any of the hose fittings.

Make sure the air cleaner is not clogged and a bird or other animal hasn't built a nest up in the air intake some where between the turbo and the filter and the turbo and the intake manifold. Shoot, be sure the turbo is not clogged up with something. One that has sat for a long period of time could have anything in there.

You could have a charge pump issue also, but the starting and stopping makes me believe it is a fuel delivery issue other than the pump. It has been my experience that if the pump is bad it won't start at all.

But I don't know a whole lot........my kids keep telling me.

D

Tallgren    0

The fuel cap dont have any air vent but i have taken it off every time i tried to start it.

I have not checked any screens into the pump so im going to do that.

If there was an air leak i would have to bleed the system every time but i have checked several times but its only fuel coming out.

There is no turbo on my machine and i have removed the hose from the air filter above the manifold so it has free flow of air.

When i open the fuel lines on the injectors it spits out of two lines but from the other four it slowly runs out from...

So maybe it only runs on two cylinders because i can hear that it does not run on all of them.

If you're getting pressured fuel to two of them and just running it out of the four others I'd say you have a pressure problem with the pump.

I thought it had a turbo since the thread title said TD9B. Sorry.

There is a re-circulation valve (acts like a check valve) inside the pump, a regulator valve, and a couple different timing sleeves that could be out of whack. The charge pump puts fuel at relatively low pressure through the final filter and into the pump anulus where it does it's thing. The only thing you can fool with is making sure fuel is getting to the pump itself (through the charge pump and the final filter) and bleeding air. You've bled air, so there is not much else left. You could take the drain plug out of the bottom of the pump, catch the fuel coming out and see what it looks like. See if the there is any dirt, rust, etc. in it that could plug up the timing sleeves ports inside the pump.

Don't know much else.

Leave the cap off when you get it running just to make sure it's not creating a vacuum. It don't take much vacuum to stop the flow, even though excess.fuel is supposed to be coming back into the tank.

Make sure the priming knob isn't on (it should be all the down)

Dave

sugarmaker    0

That's a pretty solid looking machine and it runs too! I think you will get it figured out soon.

Regards,

Chris

ray54    0

Since the cap was off,what may have got in the tank? A small piece of something floating over the outlet and cutting off fuel ,and moving away before you try starting again.

Since the cap was off,what may have got in the tank? A small piece of something floating over the outlet and cutting off fuel ,and moving away before you try starting again.

Good thought here.

D

lonelyposto    0

Sorry if i missed it but did you clean/check fuel return. Mine ran good and then died while running but would not restart. Pulled metal line off top of injector pump and it was clogged.

Rawleigh99    0

Off subject a little, but what is that on the cutting edge that looks like expanded metal mesh?

Drott-150    0

Everything Dave says is right on. Especially the part about cracking each fuel line at the injector to see if fuel is being pumped all the way through. If you don’t see fuel, try cracking the lines at the pump outlet. Still nothing? Check that fuel is going into the pump by cracking fuel pump inlet lines (do this last, as it could introduce air).

Sounds like you already replaced the two in-line fuel filters mounted in-series (one after the other) inside the engine compartment - that's good. You also ensured fuel freely flows from the tank all the way to both of them - that's good. If there is any sluggishness with fuel flow through both filters and to the pump inlet, then you may want to put more fuel in the tank to build more fuel pressure to help deliver fuel to the filters and pump. I had my 150 loader (very similar to your TD9B) run out of fuel while going uphill one time and I had to put 20 gallons (76 liters) of fuel in it before it would develop enough fuel pressure to push the fuel all the way up to the filter and pump. On level ground it shouldn’t take that much, but it may still help. I believe the King of Obsolete (here on the forum) also has used a makeshift rubber diaphragm out of an old inner tube that is stretched over the fuel tank filler neck and sealed with a hose clamp. A small pressure can then be applied to the sealed fuel tank by pumping up the Schrader valve (to maybe 5 psi). This can help move the fuel to the filters too.

Otherwise, water is denser than fuel and it will flow to the bottom of the fuel circuit. If the tank was filled with water, don’t be surprised if a significant amount of water is still present in the fuel system (although you did say you cleaned all the lines out, so hopefully that shouldn't be the case). I would very liberally bleed the fuel circuit until I knew for sure that nothing but clean, fresh diesel was flowing through the system. Diesels don’t run well on water, only steam engines!

Lastly, if all else fails you can disconnect the fuel filter inlet and return lines and bypass that entire circuit by supplying the filters/pump with a small makeshift fuel tank. Also, as Dave suggested, check the tank vent system and make sure it is working (it doesn’t vent through the cap though). It wouldn’t have caused your problem so far because you only operated it for a very short period of time. But it can cause fuel starvation if you run for a prolonged period of time and eventually a suction is developed as fuel is consumed.

I knew that tank has a tube coming down out of it for air, but all I could think of was a lawn mower engine I once had that had the cap plugged up :(:rolleyes:

Oh well, hope he gets er fixed. ;)

D

Drott-150    0

Hey Dave, how you been? Been a coon's age since we last spoke. Hope things are going well on your end and still enjoying your TD9B. Still have mine, although don't really use it much now. Used it in the past few years more for very light duty tree removal. I climb up the tree (sometimes 75' high or even more), set a 1/2" steel cable near the top, and then make a deep weakening cut (without cutting all the way through) on the trunk about 20' lower. Then climb all the way down. Connect the loose end of the cable on the ground to the loader, and then putter the loader backwards a safe distance away until a tension develops in the cable...and then voila, break the top off. Comes down to ground safe and sound and not hit the house. Repeat the process again for the next segment, and then the remaining trunk part is short enough it won't reach the house no matter which way it falls. The weakening cut is the most dangerous part. Can't say I enjoyed doing that. I was worried I would cut too much into the tree and the top would come off while I was still hanging in it roughly 60' in the air.

Anyway, hope things are going ok on your ranch. Good to see you again.

Good to see you're still around too D150. I still have Herc, but like you I don't use him much. right now I have several links on both sides of the tracks frozen from rust. I left it sit on some boards that were rotten and broke under the bogeys. When I went to use it again after about a year of sitting, he was sure rough to sit on. Hard to doze like that too!

I've bought a 175C Loader to tinker with. Have some dirt to move and trees to fool with. Trying to decide how much I want to do on it (Chomper be its name) and how much I want to take a chance on. It has 2000 hours, and that is when the torque converter is supposed to be rebuilt according to many folk on here that have them.

Good to hear you're still kickin. Don't know that I could climb a tree, might go as high as the bucket would reach. LOL

Be careful. I'll see you on here from time to time. Some of the old ones are still here, some are not.

Dave

Az.Nick    0

Nice dozer TG, your talking to right guys, keep us posted & good luck!

Hi boys, hope all is well and glad to see guys are popping back into RP life ;)

Nick