Photo

Do you use your tractor fuel level gauge?

3 replies to this topic

#1 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted Today, 04:48 PM

Our  464 diesel has always had  dysfunctional fuel level gauge. I have lived with it for 7 years and none of the tractors I grew up with had a fuel level gauge anyway. Just like the old days I remove the cap and look in for lever determination, Or a clean stick.

The float is bad and I did not think is was worth repair.

Now I am thinking of removing the gauge and adding an ameter to supplement the voltmeter I am running.

There is room for 3 ea 2.0625 diameter gauges and the fuel level gauge.

I do not think I will ever miss the fuel level gauge.

I do realize the a fuel level gauge on a large machine with heavy fuel consumption is probably needed but the little D179 will go all day on 5-6 gal working.

Do you folks consider a fuel level gauge a necessity?

#2 orchard 6

orchard 6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order farming, Red tractors, my family.
    Your crops may be green, but mine are red! Proud to be an apple farmer!

Posted Today, 05:35 PM

I like to have all gauges functioning personally. On a diesel I'd think a fuel gauge would be a must because of all the difficulties of repriming the pump, on a gasser it's not as big of a deal but still a pain when your on the back 40 only to find the tank dry. I'm not sure why you'd want to run an ammeter and a voltage gauge though, as an ammeter really doesn't show much since there is a relatively low amperage draw on an open station tractor but to each his own.

#3 bitty

bitty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Interests:Farm 1600 acres,milk 700 cows run mainly RED(gotta have a few others to make you appreciate the red ones even more)bought the '46 Farmall A in family since '52 when I was 17. Currently have A, C, Super C, H, M, 450 and an F30 adopted from my Wife's side of the family. Wish I had bought the 450 i grew up with, hindsight is 2020

Posted Today, 05:52 PM

We would like to have functioning fuel gauges but with the " dirt roads " we have it ruins them..... I know you are wondering how..... pen dot spreads liquid calcium on the road 6-10 times a summer. It has no dust reduction qualities but the calcium is in the dust that packs full every place it can on the tractor. Then the connections turn green with corrosion . We try to have everyone fuel up at the end of every day. Best for fighting condensation and fuel issues that way anyhow .

#4 Outlaw

Outlaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Family, Farming, Hunting,and Anything with a motor

Posted Today, 06:03 PM

We run all diesel tractors except the super A. On the big ones we want them to all work because of heavy tillage and baling. We fill up every morning. Now the super that will go 2 days on a tank and we run a 3 section drag bar with it when the big ones are disking or plowing. Then she gets put on the hay rake all summer long then goes to the corn elevator when were picking

Reply to this topic