How Many of You Still Moldboard Plow?

1 reply to this topic

#1 FarmerFixEmUp

FarmerFixEmUp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle and ATV riding, drag racing.

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

I have seen a lot of posts and pictures on here lately of people plowing. I haven't seen many people in my area of Iowa doing this for maybe 15 years or so. It's kind of frowned upon, especially in the fall. There seems to be a lot of wind blowing dirt around and washing if we get a heavy rain in the spring especially on hillsides. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to plow, just not as common around here as it used to be.  Plowing probably allows for better weed control!

I have a 550 plow that I use on fencelines about every 3 or 4 years. I do quite a bit of disc chiseling in the fall if time allows before the ground is frozen.

Farming and Fixing, I fix and farm with red stuff, mostly. Usable tractors are 5288, 1466, 1066, 1206, 826, 806, 756, 656, 800 and 950 planters, 4800 field cultivator, plus other misc, and a yellow TR combine. Also an S1700 grain truck. Also a fun '71 Chevelle! And a '40 M to restore when I get time! 966 M&W turbo.

#2 AgDoctor

AgDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Resurrecting old iron, fabricating new equipment and enjoying life.

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

Just this last fall I turned over 40 acres if old pasture ground, Worked it up good and planted rye for a cover crop and to disk in come spring as a manure crop.

This ground had not been worked since the early 70's. It made for some interesting plowing in some of the areas. Cattle had packed it pretty hard in places.

If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?   

The farmer has to be an optimist or he wouldn't still be a farmer.

Will Rogers

Farmall_logo_zpsd86cef39.png

Reply to this topic