#21 updraft

updraft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Makes me remember when I was a kid..........a bunch of green onions standing in a glass of cold water for munching........Celery stuffed with cream cheese and olives.........homemade buttermilk biscuits......an olive, black olive, and pickle dish....snacking started long before dinner if Mom wasn't looking too close.  Then I was the oddball that liked the turkey neck and the giblets.

Charlie

Charlie

The lineup:
1927 McCormick Deering 10-20 1930 McCormick Deering 10-20
Farmall 560 gas 1942 Farmall M Farmall Super C
1966 IH Cub IH 340U International 544
1937 Case CC3
1939 JD model H 1941 JD model H 1938 JD model L
1952 Ford 8n Ferg TO 30
Others.....

#22 IHRunner

IHRunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Red Vehicles

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 PM

how do you cook that rabbit runner? any ive had wasnt stellar, kinda oily, like dark meat turkey, gramp always par boiled them, loved the man, not so much his hossenfeffer. 

where i hunt my rabbits they eat grains all day. wheat. sunflowers. milo. so they taste much different that woodland rabbits. i go out. and usually sit in wait til i see one foraging. then i shoot it quickly. i dont want the critter to suffer obviously. on this one i used a hi point 995 with a tasco 3x9 thats currently in one of my "test to destruction" drills. i shot him through the eye at 40 yards. death was instant. heart rate was down. no toxins pumping through him.

then after you prepare him and you are ready to cook him you either use a brine solution or a buttermilk bath. its draws the blood out. tenderizes the meat. and rids it of any lingering gamey flavor. rabbit is very lean. for the recepie im using i marinate the rabbit overnight in a lemon and garlic marinade. then i split him up the spine. and remove the front and hind quarters. leaving 6 peices. coat him in the mapel glaze. then wrap him in hickory bacon. toss him on the grill and occasionally baste some more glaze on. makes a great tasting high value meal. sometimes i just stuff them with onions. soak them in olive oil. and toss them on the grill. i have unique taste buds. im over bland foods. so game meat appeals to me. dove. pheasant. rabbit. duck. trout. turtle. i enjoy honing my culinary skills.

#23 IHRunner

IHRunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Red Vehicles

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 PM

I can smell the hot foods already.  What time and where?  I can start saving my appetite today.

:D :P :P :D

Charlie

Oh, wait a minute.  Colorado is just a little far away.  DARN.
Cancelling the self invite.  Darn

Charlie, you're always welcome at Casa de la Runner! we're practically neighbors, if you left tonight you'd be here with plenty of time to spare and on my honor i would save you at least a half of a jalepeno popper lol.

Thanks, Runner.  Guess I better stay home and see what I can dig up.  Me and any sort of peppers are not at all on good terms.

My buddy Tom is already practicing for after dinner on Thursday.

Practice.jpg

Charlie
woah! thank god he is there to hold that cabinet from running away. lol all the same you're always welcome down here

#24 new guy

new guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted Today, 07:39 AM

Dodged a disaster!! Microwave decided to drop dead last night. We are hosting Thanksgiving and that little black box on the wall will need to be on it's A game on Thursday. Grabbing a new one tonight!!

#25 Atilathehun99

Atilathehun99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:Super C's and FH implements, geomorphology, horseraddish, grease guns, laccoliths, batholiths, lopoliths, other plutons, and 722 Bobcats.

Posted Today, 08:24 AM

I have assumed the position of keeping alive one of the family's traditional holiday dishes.......scalloped oysters.  As new generations enter the family fewer and fewer seem to have a taste for them.  That means there are just more for me :D

#26 RED211

RED211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts
  • Interests:My girls,all red tractors,a little MX, machines that move dirt,and a little snow sking.

Posted Today, 08:55 AM

We will have the usual, I brine a turkey and wife bakes it, mashed taters, sweet potato casserole, white bread dressing and a half cornbread/ white bread dressing.  Brown gravy for it all, deviled eggs, corn, green beans, pistachio salad and yeast rolls.   Pecan and pumpkin pie with whip cream.  Wife makes everything from scratch except the rolls.  She used to but sister shubert rolls are about as good and one less thing she has to mess with.   She has to work on Thursday this year so we will have ours on Saturday.  Not a huge turkey fan but sure is good once or twice a year!!  

I smoked a small one the last few years and might just do one on thursday just because I like it and she is working.

I have fried a turkey several years but only doing one it's not hardly worth the cost, but they sure are good too.

Sure like seeing what others do, we have always done turkey.  That rabbit looks good, I sure like the tame rabbit on a hickory fire!!  

Prime rib is good any time so I can see that making a fine thanksgiving meal too!

#27 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted Today, 08:56 AM

What are scalloped oysters?  I love oysters, even though they no longer work their purported 'purpose'.  I had Oysters Rockefeller for the first time, just a couple of months ago, as part of the buffet at the Irma Hotel, in Cody, WY.  (Delicious, I ate more of them, than I did of the prime rib)

#28 lorenzo

lorenzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA

Posted Today, 02:10 PM

O just a little something I grabbed on night.  And Gooseberry pie for desert.

StJohnLobster.jpg

#29 Atilathehun99

Atilathehun99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:Super C's and FH implements, geomorphology, horseraddish, grease guns, laccoliths, batholiths, lopoliths, other plutons, and 722 Bobcats.

Posted Today, 02:20 PM

O just a little something I grabbed on night.  And Gooseberry pie for desert.

StJohnLobster.jpg

Is that one of those legendary crayfish of the Middle Loup?

#30 vtfireman85

vtfireman85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • Interests:Electricity, Tractors, Jeeps, Home Brewing, Skiing, Paddling, Hiking, and a dozen more things I haven't got time for!

Posted Today, 04:07 PM

What is that a 10 lb lobster?

Reply to this topic