Photo

How far apart to space fence posts for cattle?

20 replies to this topic

#11 yellowrosefarm

yellowrosefarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

1 rod for the wood posts with a T-post in between.

Allan

How long is a rod? I used to know back when I took a surveying class in college, but that was a LONG time ago.

#12 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

16.5 feet

#13 Allan in NE

Allan in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

I always "eyeballed" it at 16'.  I think legally tho, it's 16 and a half feet.

Allan

#14 Birdman

Birdman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything outdoors. IH machines owned: 6788 2+2, 3088 cab tractor, 1660 CIH combine, IH 800 8rw planter, 9400i Eagle 2003 Tt

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

My neighbor has 1200 head of buffalo on his ranch. He runs 2 wire electric high tensile. Well pipe then fiberglass about 50 ft apart. If you get 4 -5ft away you will get jolted. Lot of current. Oh , he has strung 125 miles of this fence. It works for him

Huh? So you're saying you will get a jolt from that electric fence just by getting within 4-5' of the fence? How does that work? Sorry but that sounds a bit far fetched.

eagle511.png

If you love agriculture and wildlife, visit my website! Click on the link below:
http://www.sustainab....com/index.html

#15 CentMO3088

CentMO3088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

We use 6' T posts 10' apart with 5 strands of barb wire. 6" steel corner posts 3 to a corner and weld diagonal braces.
In the shed: CaseIH 5220, Ford 4600 and 8630, Case 580 Super L II, '85 Chevy C-70 Ten Wheeler.
Classics in the shed: Farmall 460G, Ferguson TO-20, TO-30, TO-35, F40, F40, Case VAC.
Classics outside: IH #10 Auger Wagon, AC 66 all-crop, '73 IH 1/2 ton 4x4, '51 Ford F-3.

Gone but not forgotten: AC B, Ford 861, TW-15, IH cub, 460DT, 656G, 766D, 1066, 3088.
Good riddance: JD A.

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns, my money, my religion, and you can keep the change" Hank Williams Jr.

#16 Thesd5488

Thesd5488

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

I use old corn cribs that I flatten out use railroad ties in either four or five foot centers depends on the crib best part over six foot tall never had one jump or go through

#17 blackstripe10

blackstripe10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:farming, feeding cattle, tractor pulling,kids sports

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

All of our feedyard posts are 3 average steps apart,we used 5 barbed wires on some with a separate hot wire and 6 hi-tensile wires with the two in the middle hot on some newer pens. The hi-tensile is definitely easier to work with since you just have a spring to keep it tight but it is almost invisible from a hundred feet away. Most of the old four and five wire field fences around here have not been kept up very well for the last 30 years or they have been taken out so a lot of cows that are grazing stalks in the winter are kept in with a single hot wire, as long as they have something to eat they are content to stay put. Pasture fences are kept up pretty well though on account of the pesky calves getting out in the spring.

#18 edwardporter1

edwardporter1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH, History, my family

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

My neighbor has 1200 head of buffalo on his ranch. He runs 2 wire electric high tensile. Well pipe then fiberglass about 50 ft apart. If you get 4 -5ft away you will get jolted. Lot of current. Oh , he has strung 125 miles of this fence. It works for him

Huh? So you're saying you will get a jolt from that electric fence just by getting within 4-5' of the fence? How does that work? Sorry but that sounds a bit far fetched.

The fences have to have high current to keep those shaggy critters in.they respect the fences but will doze. Their way through if they want. After a period of time he shuts off the voltage. The buffalo are rather intelligent creatures. His calving rate is 99%.they forage in 10000 acre pastures.if. the snow is deep he  hays them. Quite an operation

#19 Birdman

Birdman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything outdoors. IH machines owned: 6788 2+2, 3088 cab tractor, 1660 CIH combine, IH 800 8rw planter, 9400i Eagle 2003 Tt

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

The fences have to have high current to keep those shaggy critters in.they respect the fences but will doze. Their way through if they want. After a period of time he shuts off the voltage. The buffalo are rather intelligent creatures. His calving rate is 99%.they forage in 10000 acre pastures.if. the snow is deep he  hays them. Quite an operation

Yeah I get the premise, I just think it sounds a bit unreasonable to think an electric fence could handle enough juice to deliver a shock 4-5' away from the fence. You'd be talking about enough voltage to kill anything that actually touched it even if a power grid could sustain that kind of draw. I don't know...something sounds wonky.

I've been around a bison ranch some, they are some headstrong SOB's for sure.

eagle511.png

If you love agriculture and wildlife, visit my website! Click on the link below:
http://www.sustainab....com/index.html

#20 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

One of the times I have come close to shitting myself, was when I stopped to look at the buffalo in a pasture just south of Bucklin, KS, and they all decided to run over to the 'normal' barbed wire fence to see what I was doing.  I figure the owner had been feeding them out of his pickup, so they thought I was the delivery boy that day.

The first time I saw buffalo up close, was when my Dad took me up to Valley, NE to look at a bunch in a pen, they were making that pipe fence shake and rattle pretty good.

I copied my Dad's way of building fence, using new railroad ties for the corner/gate posts, braced back to a 5 inch wood post, and alternating with a steel post every eight feet.  This puts a wood post every 16 feet (I had forgotten about 'rods'), with 5 strings of barbed wire. (In Texas a 4 wire fence is considered 'poor-boy', and I even had my neighbor tell me that 4 wires "wouldn't hold his cows", which seemed pretty strange, given that the only time they ever came close was to lay in the shade, or when the bull would come down stand in the corner to look (until he got tired of me calling him 'queer'), or the calves would come over to look at the dog.

Reply to this topic