Cabela's Tractors?

28 replies to this topic

#1 EquipmentJunkie

EquipmentJunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Tractors, motorcycles, cars, trucks,...things with engines, especially diesel engines.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

Yes, Cabela's brand tractors.  I saw the press release & interview in Rural Lifestyle News this morning.  Here is a link to the tractor page on Cabela's website:

http://www.cabelas.c...wn;cat382651380

The tractors look like re-badged TYM machines...but only dark green with tan wheels and camo decals.  I know that it doesn't make sense for all you folks to buy your compact tractors at Cabela's.  (Cabela's is currently looking to hire two techs in Fort Worth, TX so it sounds like addressing the service end is being attempted.)  However, given their market, will it work?

Nothing cranks me like compression ignition.

#2 BOBSIH856

BOBSIH856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Hobby farming, working on tractors, starting to restore the 8, spending time with wife and kids.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

Yes, Cabela's brand tractors.  I saw the press release & interview in Rural Lifestyle News this morning.  Here is a link to the tractor page on Cabela's website:

http://www.cabelas.c...wn;cat382651380

The tractors look like re-badged TYM machines...but only dark green with tan wheels and camo decals.  I know that it doesn't make sense for all you folks to buy your compact tractors at Cabela's.  (Cabela's is currently looking to hire two techs in Fort Worth, TX so it sounds like addressing the service end is being attempted.)  However, given their market, will it work?

It will probably end up like the MINOT branded tractors from TSC.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Interests:I.H tractors and equipment,chasing rabbits with beagles.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Does look a bit like a TYM. I doubt they will sell very many. When you need parts and service you want full dealer support.

tym.jpg

#4 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

Targetted for the cidiots with their food plots.

One of the downsides that I see, is that with the camoflauge paint, the cidiot will park it, and NOT be able to find it again.

Given all the camoflauge crap that Cabela's peddles for your "well-dressed and well equipped" hunter, it makes a person wonder how the old-timers ever managed to come home with any game, without having camoflauged toilet paper, flashlights, blankets, Thermos bottles, underwear, and the dozens of other "must haves" that they stock.

#5 oldtanker

oldtanker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Old tractors, hunting, fishing. Home Brewing! SCUBA.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Their target market is city folks in the upper mid income bracket or higher. So my guess is they will sell some because a lot of them like showing of brand names that generally cost a little more. I can see it now, the burbs on a Saturday morning with all these Cabela's tractors mowing postage stamp lawns, that is the guys who do manage to find them after taking em to the hunting property to do food plots. It will go right along with their 500 dollar cammies and 2000 dollar shotguns. Guess next will be skid steers with the Cabela name on it.

Rick

I the willing,

have lead the unknowing,

with nothing,

to do the impossible,

for the uncaring.

I have done so much,

with so little,

for so long,

that I am now qualified to do anything!

US Army NCO Corp.

#6 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Their target market is city folks in the upper mid income bracket or higher. So my guess is they will sell some because a lot of them like showing of brand names that generally cost a little more. I can see it now, the burbs on a Saturday morning with all these Cabela's tractors mowing postage stamp lawns, that is the guys who do manage to find them after taking em to the hunting property to do food plots. It will go right along with their 500 dollar cammies and 2000 dollar shotguns. Guess next will be skid steers with the Cabela name on it.

Rick

I thought that was  JD's target market for their SCUT's? 

I lurk at a website (for comic relief) dedicated to as Art calls them, the "Cidiots" who have paid the price of admission into ownership and it's UNBELIEVABLE.   They pay from $20,000 to $40,000 for their toys and finance them so much a month, and then cry when they break them while trying to dig out stumps with the available backhoes, etc.

That's one thing I have to give my one neighbor credit for, when he retired as a salesman from the local short line dealership when it closed 5 yrs ago he wanted a backhoe to play with, remove some brush & trees, and do a little landscaping around his house.  He bought a used JD #710 TLB that was traded for a newer model by a large construction co.  Yes, it had a bunch of hours on it, but was used, not abused, and it can do some amazing things compared to these expensive toys.

#7 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Once again, I MUST state that I cannot take credit for the term "cidiot".  However, my descriptive terms about the worthless, know it all, trash of the media, are mine, and mine alone.

#8 BOBSIH856

BOBSIH856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Hobby farming, working on tractors, starting to restore the 8, spending time with wife and kids.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

One of the downsides that I see, is that with the camoflauge paint, the cidiot will park it, and NOT be able to find it again.

Given all the camoflauge crap that Cabela's peddles for your "well-dressed and well equipped" hunter, it makes a person wonder how the old-timers ever managed to come home with any game, without having camoflauged toilet paper, flashlights, blankets, Thermos bottles, underwear, and the dozens of other "must haves" that they stock.

Agree with you 100% on the "hunters".

#9 oldtanker

oldtanker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Old tractors, hunting, fishing. Home Brewing! SCUBA.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Rick

I thought that was  JD's target market for their SCUT's? 

I lurk at a website (for comic relief) dedicated to as Art calls them, the "Cidiots" who have paid the price of admission into ownership and it's UNBELIEVABLE.   They pay from $20,000 to $40,000 for their toys and finance them so much a month, and then cry when they break them while trying to dig out stumps with the available backhoes, etc.

That's one thing I have to give my one neighbor credit for, when he retired as a salesman from the local short line dealership when it closed 5 yrs ago he wanted a backhoe to play with, remove some brush & trees, and do a little landscaping around his house.  He bought a used JD #710 TLB that was traded for a newer model by a large construction co.  Yes, it had a bunch of hours on it, but was used, not abused, and it can do some amazing things compared to these expensive toys.

LOL well JD has a little competition then :P . With the Lake shore people and the guys with hunting land up here I can see some of them buying those. Heck most of em drive right by Cabela's in Rogers MN, just off of I94 right on the way up here.

Rick

Rick

I the willing,

have lead the unknowing,

with nothing,

to do the impossible,

for the uncaring.

I have done so much,

with so little,

for so long,

that I am now qualified to do anything!

US Army NCO Corp.

#10 caseySD

caseySD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Interests:Making a living with old stuff. 1976 766 D, 1967 656 D, 1963 706 G, 1956 350 G. Sad thing is my equipment line up is newer than my tractors. Several Cummins powered trucks also.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Agree with you 100% on the "hunters".

Hahaha.  I have an uncle in northern WI,  hardcore houndsman.  He runs coyotes,  bear,  bobcat,  wolf and anything else he can.  Hunts deer with both bow and gun and waterfowl hunts too.  I'm 34 years old and I have never seen him wear an ounce of camouflage.  He has no problem getting his game.

Reply to this topic