HELP! HELP! HELP! Engine off time BAD

5 replies to this topic

#1 TimsIHtractors

TimsIHtractors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Family and farming IH experiences on a C, Super C, 2x M, 3x Super M's, 2x 450, 460, 656 G&D, 706 282D, 2x 826D, 2x 856, 1456, 966, 1066BS, 3588, 3788, 5288. Harvesting and dairying with all and a fleet of New Idea Uni equipment.

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:20 PM

I'm in trouble. I tuned up a Wisconsin VH4D V4 engine in a Bobcat C60, I believe was the model number. Removing the distributor, I accidently turned the shaft, and when I put it back in (basically I knew I was screwed) it would not fire on time. I had great spark, which was non-existant before I put new everything in it, but it doesn't do you much good if it doesn't run AT ALL. :(

How do I get this back into time? I can't find a timing notch or anything like that, I have no idea how to do this. I know I can pull the shaft completely out of the timing gears (distributor drive) on an M, which of course I know front and back, but what if you were to spin the drive and not know how it went in? I'm kind of panicked here because it isn't my skid steer and it will be needed tomorrow afternoon. I have a Bobcat dealer I can call, but I don't know how helpful they will be to me. It's the same engine that was in many New Holland hay balers back in the day. The only reason I removed the distributor was that it is impossible to access with it installed, and was told by my Agco dealer that it will pull out, but I was NOT told how much of a pain this would be. I'm sick of guesstimating where I have to spin it to get it to go? HELP FRIENDS!! Thanks SO very much and God Bless for your help!!
Rivertop Reds Dairy&Harvesting
I love IH!!! I own three Super M's, 826GD with diamond cab, 1130 MF (the ugly duckling), 5288.
Starting dairy farming in 2007... What a ride. Record highs, record lows, record rains, record droughts...

Milking Holstiens (red and b&w) and Jerseys on our 70 cow operation. God bless small American Farms...
I enjoy dairy farming with my wife and custom harvesting with an assortment of New Idea Uni huskers, shellers, choppers, and combines (703,705,708x2,709RWA with 767,737,717x2,858 attachments). I combine small grain and soybeans with IH 315 and 82 (with pickup head) combines. Collecting 234 and 2-MH/2M-HD era pickers and shellers and attaching hardware.

#2 TimsIHtractors

TimsIHtractors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Family and farming IH experiences on a C, Super C, 2x M, 3x Super M's, 2x 450, 460, 656 G&D, 706 282D, 2x 826D, 2x 856, 1456, 966, 1066BS, 3588, 3788, 5288. Harvesting and dairying with all and a fleet of New Idea Uni equipment.

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:15 AM

Oh c'mon, someone here has got to have something for me!!! :( :unsure:
I love IH!!! I own three Super M's, 826GD with diamond cab, 1130 MF (the ugly duckling), 5288.
Starting dairy farming in 2007... What a ride. Record highs, record lows, record rains, record droughts...

Milking Holstiens (red and b&w) and Jerseys on our 70 cow operation. God bless small American Farms...
I enjoy dairy farming with my wife and custom harvesting with an assortment of New Idea Uni huskers, shellers, choppers, and combines (703,705,708x2,709RWA with 767,737,717x2,858 attachments). I combine small grain and soybeans with IH 315 and 82 (with pickup head) combines. Collecting 234 and 2-MH/2M-HD era pickers and shellers and attaching hardware.

#3 MidMiGene

MidMiGene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:57 AM

Pull the sparkplug out of #1 cylinder. Stick your finger over/into the sparkplug hole. Rotate the engine until you feel compression/pressure being pushed against your finger. Carefully, rotate the engine until that cylinder is at top dead center. Now pull your distributer back out, and position the rotor so it is pointing directly at the distributer contact for the #1 cylinder. Reassemble and make sure your still pointed at #1. If distributer shaft rotates when you put the distributer back in, you will have to compensate and rotate the shaft enough before you insert it, so it will line up when it is completely seated. This will get you close enough to get the engine started. Next you will need to adjust the timing to specs with a timing light (or) if you have a trained ear, you can set the timing by ear. If the engine is doggy, try advancing the timing. If you get spark knock, retard the timing. If the engine kicks back when starting, retard the timing. Make sure you don't get the sparkplug wires crossed up. This creates a whole nother set of problems. Gene

#4 Randy Sohn

Randy Sohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:Antique cars, antique airplanes, letter series tractors

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

MidMiGene - re>>rotate the engine until that cylinder is at top dead center<<

Concur! And to add a "meb'be help" here, a piece of wire thru the spark plug hole might help to determine the TDC, gonna be a "flat" spot as the shaft rotates so "null/dwell" it.

>>Make sure you don't get the sparkplug wires crossed up. This creates a whole nother set of problems<<

Oh man, you be SO right, heart failure time!

best, randy
Randall L. Sohn - 1950 thru 1953 Cadillacs, 1951 2 ton 2 speed rear axle "Chebby" truck, 1943 Stearman, 1955 Harley-Davidson FLH, 1947 "B", 7/10ths of an 1951 "M", etc.

#5 Chad K

Chad K

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

>>Make sure you don't get the sparkplug wires crossed up. This creates a whole nother set of problems<<

Oh man, you be SO right, heart failure time!

best, randy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ain't that the truth! I had a "buddy" :rolleyes: of mine switch a couple of plug wires around on a chevy 350 once. Worst part is it had no exhaust system to speak of on it. (ended at the headers). Well maybe that was ok to. Didn't blow up the muffler that way :blink:
No wit or wisdom to put here for now. You'll just have to read this instead.

#6 TimsIHtractors

TimsIHtractors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

Gene, thank you. I was able to save myself by that technique. It also helped when I discovered timing notches underneath all the dirt caked on the crankshaft seal on the front of the engine. :D It is okay now, I am going to get a timing light tomorrow or the next day, but I did it by ear, which is very difficult when dealing with a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket. :blush: :( Once, I thought it ran great, until I tried moving the beast. It nearly killed just trying to crawl out of the shed. I knew it was too late of a spark. And after that, for some reason, it was a couple hours downhill after that. (I think mostly my poor memory couldn't remember the last direction I turned the rotor.)

I went back to the drawing board, sick of losing ground, and found a sweet spot on the distributor I could work off of (drawing my last moved direction on the dirt of the Bobcat helped me too ^_^ ) and I was able to find a spot it ran good at at all RPM ranges, and it had good power (I don't know if it was "great"), enough to drive around, spin circles, and lift (mini) round bales. The owner was quite relieved to get it running (I was still sweating) and he fed hay with it, and had mixed results about its performance. Neither of us could tell if it had a miss or not with that constant hammering of the exhaust leak (well, it stops if the skid steer is not doing ANY work) but it's not the most powerful unit Bobcat ever made either, so how do you really judge its power?

Thank you again, my butt is a little smaller but at least saved. Everyone take care. A drop of sweat off my brow for a little while, at least.

Reply to this topic