antifreeze and injectors

9 replies to this topic

#1 chevy

chevy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have  d239 in a 260a series IH backhoe just saw that antifreeze was leaking out by injectors.last week I was running it and it just died can't get it to start and run w/o startin fluid but it won't run on its own so can any body tell me what is happening I'm lost and have asked all the good ol boys here where I live and a couple deisel machanics and can't figure it out I need some one else's advice here please someone help me figure out my problems thanks

#2 1566 Jim

1566 Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

There are sleeves that are pressed into head for the injectors to go into they have antifreeze around the outside of them - check to see if loosing compression around them or into coolant

#3 chevy

chevy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

There are sleeves that are pressed into head for the injectors to go into they have antifreeze around the outside of them - check to see if loosing compression around them or into coolant

is this why my machine won't run maybe. my coolant  is coming out around the injector where the hard line screws on top of the block so I need to check those sleeves, and thengo from there to see why I'm not getting fuel out of the line at injector but I have fuel coming out at my liftpump and through my filters do you think it might be my injector pump maybe thanks for the info about the sleeve's I'll check those out thanks again my second tractor and I've never worked on either one until now so all the info I can get is awsome thank you again

#4 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think you have more than one problem here with tractor quit running and also anti freeze leaking around injection nozzle. Realize, that if you pull the injection nozzle, you need to drain the block first so anti freeze will not fill cylinders if that brass sleeve moves on you. I would make sure pump is turning before I got too carried away with diagnosis. They do twist off, and also timing gears fail on bearing.

#5 BOBSIH856

BOBSIH856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Hobby farming, working on tractors, starting to restore the 8, spending time with wife and kids.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hopefully you didnt hydrolock the engine.

#6 chevy

chevy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I think you have more than one problem here with tractor quit running and also anti freeze leaking around injection nozzle. Realize, that if you pull the injection nozzle, you need to drain the block first so anti freeze will not fill cylinders if that brass sleeve moves on you. I would make sure pump is turning before I got too carried away with diagnosis. They do twist off, and also timing gears fail on bearing.

I haven't pulled any thing yet trying to figure out what I need to do.If i spray starting fluid in it runs fine but won't stay running

#7 chevy

chevy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

what happens when this happens does it just quit running with no sputer or hi rev like it ran out of fuel this is only my second tractor and I haven't had to work on them yet until now so I'm willing to get any advise and knowledge I can I perfer the older stuff since I can work on them

#8 chevy

chevy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

I haven't pulled any thing yet trying to figure out what I need to do.If i spray starting fluid in it runs fine but won't stay running so what do u think on this

#9 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Take one line off at injection nozzle and see if any fuel at all is being delivered while you are running it on ether. I don't recommend you run it on ether but seeing as how you have been doing that already, once more should not hurt it any.  If you get no fuel at nozzle, pump is bad, or return is plugged. You can take return right at the pump to see if it will pump.  Those pumps can be hard to get the air out of also when you try running it without proper bleeding before you crank on it. Once that air get inside of plungers it just bounces back and forth. Might take all lines off at nozzles also to get it to pump. Oh also, does it have electric shut off. I don't think it does on that model but never know. Those shutoffs conk out and usually blow fuse but they can have open circuit also so it would not blow fuse.

#10 chevy

chevy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Take one line off at injection nozzle and see if any fuel at all is being delivered while you are running it on ether. I don't recommend you run it on ether but seeing as how you have been doing that already, once more should not hurt it any.  If you get no fuel at nozzle, pump is bad, or return is plugged. You can take return right at the pump to see if it will pump.  Those pumps can be hard to get the air out of also when you try running it without proper bleeding before you crank on it. Once that air get inside of plungers it just bounces back and forth. Might take all lines off at nozzles also to get it to pump. Oh also, does it have electric shut off. I don't think it does on that model but never know. Those shutoffs conk out and usually blow fuse but they can have open circuit also so it would not blow fuse.

no electric shut off. I can hear fuel running  into the tank from my lift pump when I hand pump it but nothing comes out of injector lines.I have new filters on so I know that isn't my problem.I will try taking all four lines loose and see what happens thanks alot for the info very much appreciated the knowledge from all that have replied thanks again

Reply to this topic