#11 tcmtech

tcmtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

It relates to global warming.  :rolleyes:

"If you have nothing nice to say find others who feel like you and start a mob! "  ;)  

#12 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

The "TRACTOR DOCTOR" wrote a real good article in Red Power Magazine about six months ago explaining how IH Low Ash oil prevents valve burning.  In his article he was working on a 16 HP Kohler engine in a Cub Cadet but the cause is the same.  As oil gets into the valve guide to lube the exh valve stem & valve guide, the high temps burn the oil and cause a hard black carbon deposit on the inside of the valve guide and on the outside of the valve stem. Eventually the valve looses all it's clearance and when the valve gets hot and expands the valve sticks in the guide, doesn't seat completely, the head of the valve can't cool and the valve burns.

The "FIX" for the Kohler was to remove the head, then eh valve, scrap the carbon depostits off, decarbon the head, replace head with new head gasket, change oil to IH Low Ash oil and run.  On a 6-cyl gas engine in a 460, 560, 706 the repair would be a little more involved, and expensive.

And you guys who post here REALLY should suscribe to RP magazine!

#13 TroyDairy

TroyDairy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Family, Dairy, Red tractors and stuff

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Ran IH Low Ash in our 464G for the 1st 4000 hours.  Did a head at 4100 or so....blew gasket.  Valves looked fine.  Have used 15/40 for about 700 hours doing light stuff.  She started using oil now.  For fun got a pail of straight 30wt Conoco oil.  Fixed the blowby. Now for another 4000!

What, there is another color tractor besides red? Your kidding! I got a 1066, 186 (16k orig hrs), MX170, 8930+, 7140, 464 G, 684, C50, 585, 544E, 60xt, 135 McCormick, ok and a little orange scraping tractor. And we use all of them on the dairy.

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

#14 Ernest

Ernest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

The "TRACTOR DOCTOR" wrote a real good article in Red Power Magazine about six months ago explaining how IH Low Ash oil prevents valve burning.  In his article he was working on a 16 HP Kohler engine in a Cub Cadet but the cause is the same.  As oil gets into the valve guide to lube the exh valve stem & valve guide, the high temps burn the oil and cause a hard black carbon deposit on the inside of the valve guide and on the outside of the valve stem. Eventually the valve looses all it's clearance and when the valve gets hot and expands the valve sticks in the guide, doesn't seat completely, the head of the valve can't cool and the valve burns.

The "FIX" for the Kohler was to remove the head, then eh valve, scrap the carbon depostits off, decarbon the head, replace head with new head gasket, change oil to IH Low Ash oil and run.  On a 6-cyl gas engine in a 460, 560, 706 the repair would be a little more involved, and expensive.

I must have been doing something wrong then! Super M ran on mostly agway 30 wt oil back on the farm. Served it well! I used a 1650 cub cadet with a 16 horse kohler as my commercial mower for many years with no burnt valves or carbon. We had a deere 214, 14 horse kohler we would use as a brush hog on a neighboring farm for many years with no ill effects on the valves. My opinion is todays oil is better than yesterdays oil, plus gasoline additives have varied greatly over the years, heck forget oil burning valves, what is ethanol going to do to these engines now? Gasoline plays a larger part in this equasion than oil does!

Also I believe detergent oils are quite similar to high ash oil! High ash leaves buildup and detergent oils would be similar since they absorb dirt particles, non detergent and low ash keep carbon and such from building up! What do I know?

#15 IH__COLLECTOR

IH__COLLECTOR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:Anything that has IH on it!!!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

Straight 30 wt oil.... used in old trucks tractors and anything by mY grandpa we still use 30 wt in tractors but not in trucks

49 H

51 M

53 SC

54 SMTA D                                      

"YOU'LL BE AHEAD WITH A FARMALL"

MY IH BEATS UP YOUR

JD

"WHY FARM HALF WHEN YOU CAN

FARMALL"

#16 rustred

rustred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:collecting IHC stuff,auction sales.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

aahh, kohler engine that explains it!

#17 wslombo

wslombo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:1949 farmall cub
    1951 farmall cub
    1952 farmall cub
    1945 BN
    1949 super A
    1951 super C
    1952 super C
    1953 super H
    1953 super M
    1964 cub low boy
    1965 t-340 crawler
    1965 t-340 shoveldozer with drot 4in1 bucket
    1961 4 digit cub cadet original with mott flail mower
    1963 cub cadet original
    1964 cub cadet 100 with danco trip bucket loader
    1964 cub cadet 70
    1964 cub cadet 100
    1966 cub cadet 122
    1967 cub cadet 122
    1865 cub cadet 122
    1968 cub cadet 72

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

in all my farmalls i run shell 15w-40 and in all my cub cadets i run Valvoline 10w-30. and i have never had any problems with any of them.

#18 tanman_2006

tanman_2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Consulting, and working on diesel engines

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

IMO today's oils should be able to prevent build up better than older oil formulas. If you have carbon build up issues or are worried about it then try switching to sythetic and/or flushing the oil system might be worth while.

1998 CIH 8930 MFWD Duals 5,200hrs 205hp

2007 MF/Hesston 9635 15'6" rotory swather 1,500hrs

2008 MF/Hesston 2856 Round Baler 15K bales

Hesston 4910 50K bales

1973 Allis Chalmers 7050 200hp records stopped at 14K hrs 15yrs ago, Ugly but got the job done

JD 4320TD Needs Hyd pump and Clutch.

JD 4010D Restoration NEEDED

Many other Family owned tractors of various colors and sizes.

GM Diesel Trucks

#19 ken ryan

ken ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:I like to restore farm machinery, especially when it is red. I'm a retired mechanical engineer living on a small farm. Fresh out of college I worked for IH at the the research center in Hinsdale, Illinois.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I use name brand (Shell Rotella) 15w-40 in all 27 IH tractors, diesel and gas and have for many years. Sometimes it is a little too viscous for our New York State winters. Ken Ryan

#20 460

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Thats me on the 460 pulling in 2006 at our local fair

Interests: Tractor puller, street/strip 92 mustang, farming 5 acres LOL, gardening, hunting, snowmobiling, building engines

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

15w40 Cenpeco in all the Diesel stuff, dad uses it in his gassers too.  I feel it is a little heavy in cold weather so I use about 6qts of 15w40 and about 3 qts of 5w30 in my 656 gas.

Scott

IH a brand you can count on!

Tractors: between dad and myself: 1456, 656u, 656, 706, 244, 460 puller

Reply to this topic