6 replies to this topic

#1 Spanky

Spanky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Greetings;

I have a question about a Cub Cadet 147 with a narrow frame. It is a 14 HP  K321, but it has a flat steering wheel like my 73 Model. All the one's I've seen on the Internet have a dished steering wheel. This tractor has no marking's on the hood. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many Thanks...

Spanky.

#2 BOOMER

BOOMER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH Red or Ford Blue

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

First off welcome to the forum . Can you post a picture of it ?

147 is a wide frame so if you've got a narrow frame & non-dish steering wheel w/14 HP engine it's not factory .

1938 Farmall F-20  , 1954 Farmall Super M-TA Gas, 1959 Farmall 560 Turbo Diesel with Woods belly mower , 1967 Farmall 656 Hydro Diesel , 1969 Farmall 856 Custom Turbo Diesel with a Westendorf loader & Hiniker Cab

#3 nate

nate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

The 147 is a narrow frame. You must be thinking of 149? My 147 has a dished steering wheel. Maybe they swapped out the steering wheel?
Nate

#4 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

BOOMER - Nate is correct, the 147 IS a NF, the only model IH flared the frame on to allow the larger flywheel & blower housing of the K321 to drop into.  The later 1X8/1X9 series were the first wide frames that allowed the bigger HP Kohlers to fit into.

SPANKY - Sounds like somebody did some work on your CC in the last 42 to 43 yrs. Steering wheel swap and maybe a repaint of the hood.  Is there any sign decals under the paint?  The 147 should have the flares in the frame rails I mentioned, plus most had an electric lift actuator with a toggle switch on the right top side of the dash, no long lift lever to the right of the steering wheel. Hard telling what happened to the OEM steering wheel, may have been damaged beyond use while removing to rebuild the steering gearbox.

All Cub Cadets used the same transmission & final drives,  gear drive, 3 spds fwd & 1 reverse, or Hydro-static.  There were a few models, and 1100 & 582 Special that used a 4-spd Peerless transaxle & belt drive like other lesser garden tractors used but there's not many of those around.

#5 BOOMER

BOOMER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH Red or Ford Blue

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well slap my knee I had that messed up :blush: . I thought 147 & 149 were together but 147= gear drive/hand lift & 149=hydrostat/hydraulic lift . Sorry about that .

1938 Farmall F-20  , 1954 Farmall Super M-TA Gas, 1959 Farmall 560 Turbo Diesel with Woods belly mower , 1967 Farmall 656 Hydro Diesel , 1969 Farmall 856 Custom Turbo Diesel with a Westendorf loader & Hiniker Cab

#6 Spanky

Spanky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

I would like to thank you guys for the responce and making me feel welcome My 147 has a flared frame  with a electric lift

that is messed up  this old cub appears to  had arough life  looks like 2 maybe 3 layers of paint  smeard on with a brush

Idont know about the steering wheel Irebuilt the box It was so bad It was hard to control   someone put big guage wheels on the t

deck  so its set at one height  quite a Riggin  well better go for now  thanks again  Spank

this reply took me about 10 mjnutes  Wow!

#7 drglinski

drglinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well slap my knee I had that messed up :blush: . I thought 147 & 149 were together but 147= gear drive/hand lift & 149=hydrostat/hydraulic lift . Sorry about that .

147 is a narrow frame 14 HP hydrostatic unit that originally came with an electric lift. 

My 5th Christmas was one to remember. Thanks Dad!

Reply to this topic