redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • Interests:Are you kidding?
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Ford Motor Company is working with the United Soybean Board to help research, develop and implement soybean-based materials into their products to take the place of petroleum-based materials and improve the sustainability footprint of their operations. At the recent USB Biobased Products Stakeholders Workshop in Dearborn, Michigan, Deb Mielewski, Technical Leader of Plastics Research at Ford, talked about the development of biobased foam being used in every Ford vehicle manufactured in North America. “Automotive foam has to have fantastic compression. It has to rebound back in the field for 15 years under heat and humidity,” she explained.
Mielewski credits Ford’s work with the USB that started about 10 years ago that has helped the company perfect the foam and make other products, including many of the plastics in vehicles, from soybeans. “We have received [about] seven grants from the USB, so it’s been a really strong partnership,” she says. And she’s been pleasantly surprised by how much the board has helped in some of the issues during development. “When we had technical issues, we would come to the table with USB representatives, and they knew more about their crop, [so] they could help us get past those technical hurdles.”
Posted ImageDuring the workshop, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack and Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) even got the chance to make some of the soy-based foam. “That was the first time we actually had someone else make the foam, so we were really excited about it,” Mielewski said.

http://agwired.com/2...ased-materials/
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#2 Rawleigh99

Rawleigh99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

What was old is new again!! Lots of soy plastic used in WWII. I'm sure it is improved, but hardly new.
Rawleigh

1973 IH 500C a.k.a."Calico Cat"
1955 Cat D2 5U bulldozer with Hyster D2N winch
1945 Cat D2 3J crawler tractor
1979 Pettibone "Super 6" Forklift a.k.a. "Too Tall"
1973 Ford F600 Dump Truck
1980 Ford F350 Flatbed a.k.a. "Beastie"
1960 Allis Chalmers Model 72 All Crop combine
1966 Case 931 Comfort King Tractor

Sold:

1988 Mack R688ST Road Tractor
1955 IH TD 9 with Drott Loader

#3 1955farmall400

1955farmall400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:My grandpaps 1953 Farmall Super C
    My dads 1940 Farmall M serial # 7240
    My 1955 Farmall 400
    All FARMALLS

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Case IH Axial flow combines use soy plastic for the outside panels.

#4 The Dukester

The Dukester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Interests: The old tractors in my brother's and my collection currently include a '49 Farmall M, '51 Farmall H, '48 John Deere A, '48 John Deere GW, '51 John Deere G, and a '47 MM UTU. We show 'em a lot and pull 'em a little

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

I well remember the soybean plastic steering wheels and dash ornamental fittings and panels on cars of the late 30's and early 40's. They were okay for a while but a lot of the wheels cracked (the family '38 Buick Special for example) and the other parts distorted and discolored somewhat. Actually I guess the soy based parts were not much worse than some of the modern plastics used in cars today.

#5 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Somewhere floating around the 'interweb', there is a picture of Henry Ford taking an axe/hammer to a pre-war Ford body panel made out of soybean plastic.

It is my understanding that the plastic panels used on JD combines are also made out of soybean plastic, as well as the start up fuel put in JD tractors and combines at the factory is soy-diesel.

I would happily buy soy diesel, IF it were available.

#6 Randy Sohn

Randy Sohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Antique cars, antique airplanes, letter series tractors

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

What was old is new again!! Lots of soy plastic used in WWII.

Yup, photos of Henry Ford banging on one of his cars (used plastic panels) with a sledge exist.

best, randy
Randall L. Sohn - 1950 thru 1953 Cadillacs, 1951 2 ton 2 speed rear axle "Chebby" truck, 1943 Stearman, 1955 Harley-Davidson FLH, 1947 "B", 7/10ths of an 1951 "M", etc.

Reply to this topic