Sprocket Wear

30 replies to this topic

#21 hardtail

hardtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts
  • Interests:IH crawlers and harleys and anything that gives a rough ride!<br />If it's loud and crude I'll probably like it.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

I think the only place you will find beveled washers on a 500 is the master link.......
Singles are cool, dual stackers rule, to deny this, you must be a fool.
Opportunity only knocks once, tempation leans on the doorbell

#22 Ironhorse68

Ironhorse68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Gusbratz: How is this weld holding up under use? Seems to me this would add significant life to the pins/bushings, rollers and sprockets with a couple days work...... Mine are almost 1/4 " shot, which = 100%. Add 1/8 and I'm back t0 75%. I use the machine a couple days a month at best but this would add noticable mileage to a tired old friend...

#23 LoggerLee

LoggerLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Tractors,guns,trucks,antique equipment.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

They used to do it all the time up here in the northwest, it holds up pretty good.
1 T20
1 TD14A
3 TD9s
And some TD14 street tracks and chains and sprockets I'd like to sell.

International Harvester crawler group on Facebook http://www.facebook....57096181046179/

#24 Ironhorse68

Ironhorse68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Roger that. Project underway....thanks LL

#25 gusbratz

gusbratz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Gusbratz: How is this weld holding up under use? Seems to me this would add significant life to the pins/bushings, rollers and sprockets with a couple days work...... Mine are almost 1/4 " shot, which = 100%. Add 1/8 and I'm back t0 75%. I use the machine a couple days a month at best but this would add noticable mileage to a tired old friend...

it problably depends on what rod you use. i guess most use hardface. it is very expensive but it's harder than chinese algebra. i would worry it would wear the shells off my rollers and idlers. i used the stainless because i got it out of a dumpster and some people thoutght that since it is austenetic it would work harden. it certainly isn't mushrooming over the way people said 7018 would. but like i said in my previous post i only have about 10 operating hours on the tracks since i did this. maybe you misunderstood me to mean i had 10 hours of welding into the project, that is certainly not the case.

#26 Ironhorse68

Ironhorse68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, I realize this would require a few weeks worth of work at least...the mig unit I was looking into was a Hobart 125 with 30 to 125 out amps up to .035 wire... Was trying to reasearch the strongest option. I was told this would suffice, but my sources have never worked on track links so it's always good to check with those that have the experience.

Eventually, I'll need to run this off a generator in the back woods for later use....

Thanks again.

#27 hardtail

hardtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts
  • Interests:IH crawlers and harleys and anything that gives a rough ride!<br />If it's loud and crude I'll probably like it.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

I would try and use at least a 230V machine and use ER70 wire.........
Singles are cool, dual stackers rule, to deny this, you must be a fool.
Opportunity only knocks once, tempation leans on the doorbell

#28 LoggerLee

LoggerLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Tractors,guns,trucks,antique equipment.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hardfacing rod will crack all over the place, I've not built any up yet, but most of my tractors have something that has been built up at some point.
7018 is good rod, but like the others said, probably mushroom...
1 T20
1 TD14A
3 TD9s
And some TD14 street tracks and chains and sprockets I'd like to sell.

International Harvester crawler group on Facebook http://www.facebook....57096181046179/

#29 gusbratz

gusbratz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

ya a 110 welder is not going to do it, if goin with mig you should probobly use a duel shild process.

#30 pede

pede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Second generation contractor, owner/operator, still making a living with this old iron. Current fleet, TD 20c, 250c, Galion, T-500a, JD 760a, Bantom 166, Cat 70, IH B-91, Hough HY Payloader. Been with IH since 1946.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

7018 or anything like will only last a few days, it needs to be hardfacing and yes it will crack but you should only need 1 pass so cracking won't be an issue. If you want after you make a run peen it with a hammer this will relieve some stress but we have found even with cracking on multiple passes(up to 9) has little effect on final wear. I don't think a 110v mig will cut it, with the high amps needed for this operation you'll be at a 10% duty cycle, meaning you can run 1min and need to cool for 9. Most companies doing roller and idler buildup use submerged arc, we have had very good success with 5/64 Lincor 33 so I'd recommend something compatible to that in impact and abrasion that will run in your welder. We use a Miller Goldstar 300 cv/cc with a 22a wire feeder, and a little advice here, having a good welder is absolutely essential with old iron.

Reply to this topic