Nagging Leak

8 replies to this topic

#1 huntingtome1

huntingtome1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Dresser TD15 Dozer, International Harvester 404, JD 2155, and Ford 3600 Farm Tractors.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Will someone please confirm I check the hydraulic oil by the small plug on the right side of the tractor below the gear shift lever. Is the add port the plug just behind the gear shift? Finally, what weight and type oil is required.

Thanks

#2 MTO

MTO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Sorry I don`t know as my IH has a dipstick. I see you haven`t gotten any replies but when I have a question, my IH dealer is always happy to help. Even if none local to you, any dealer nationwide would help. Good luck!

#3 Rnparamedic69

Rnparamedic69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, full-time family man, & playing with my new tractors
    1964 IH 404
    1941 Farmall M

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just wanted to know if you have confirmed the details on how to check and fill the hydraulic fluid on your IH 404? Also, what kind of fluid and quantitydoes it take? I just inherited my grandfathers 1964 IH 404 and trying to get it serviced. Thanks for the info.

#4 ken ryan

ken ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:I like to restore farm machinery, especially when it is red. I'm a retired mechanical engineer living on a small farm. Fresh out of college I worked for IH at the the research center in Hinsdale, Illinois.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

MY 404 usees Hy Tran. I think the level plug is back by the PTO. My book is in the shop and I'm in my recliner after a big day. I'll check my owners manual and get back on here tomorrow. You should get an owners manual for each of your tractors. I always order one first thing.

Ken Ryan

#5 Rnparamedic69

Rnparamedic69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, full-time family man, & playing with my new tractors
    1964 IH 404
    1941 Farmall M

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thx ken. If u could, send me the info about your owners manual....publisher, website, where to buy...if u Dont mind.
Thx
Doug carter

#6 FarmallFan

FarmallFan

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts
  • Location:Hicksville, Ohio (don't laugh!!) NW OHIO 1.5 miles from Farmer OH
  • Interests:IH tractors and Equipment, Web design, Computer repair, basically anything technology related.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Doug,

A good place to get a manual is Binder Books. http://www.binderboo...om/numbered.htm
Owner of a 1941 Farmall H that is waiting to be painted.

#7 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

If your tractor is a utility the check plug should be just above the clutch pedal arm . The fill plug should be a big pipe plug , like youi said behind the shifter . I wouldn't use anything other than hy-tran . Also check it when it's cold .
JOHN E . GROTT

#8 Rnparamedic69

Rnparamedic69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
    1964 IH 404
    1941 Farmall M

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Thx guys for all your help and info. The binder book website will be very useful as I will also be working on my grandfathers 1941 farmall M. More questions to come...

#9 ken ryan

ken ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:I like to restore farm machinery, especially when it is red. I'm a retired mechanical engineer living on a small farm. Fresh out of college I worked for IH at the the research center in Hinsdale, Illinois.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I finally remembered to bring my F404 manual in. The fill plug is a large plug, on top near the shift lever. The level plug is a small plug behing the rear axle on the rear end housing, about the same height as the axle C.L. Sorry I took so long. Ken Ryan

Reply to this topic