Flywheel ring gear damage

7 replies to this topic

#1 tracker

tracker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

TD6.jpg I have been having trouble starting my '54 TD6 so I removed the starter only to find the flywheel teeth worn. The starter gear looks new. I have a perfect used flywheel, does anyone know any tricks of the trade for replacing? I have been turning the engine manually to use up the remaining teeth. Thanks for any help.

#2 LoggerLee

LoggerLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Tractors,guns,trucks,antique equipment.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Maybe pull the flywheel and turn the ring gear around?
1 T20
1 TD14A
3 TD9s
And some TD14 street tracks and chains and sprockets I'd like to sell.

International Harvester crawler group on Facebook http://www.facebook....57096181046179/

#3 tracker

tracker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

That might work- The gear is worn half way as if the starter gear did not fully engage.... Thank you LoggerLee.

#4 john@walker-plant.co.uk

john@walker-plant.co.uk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:I-H track-layers. I-H history. Classic ploughing displays. A few beers. Owns TD40, TD6, narrow TD9, TD14a, TD18 (with X-flow engine), BTD20 (Rolls), TD24 241 series, Farmall F20, 1967 Ford 4000 (owned from new),1956 I-H BTD6. 1960 Track Marshall 55. 1960 Track Marshall 70, 1945 Fowler FD3.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Most likely the ring gear will have been pressed on to the flywheel. The easiest way to remove and refit is with a little heat to expand the ring gear - should just drop off. It's your decision whether to turn it or replace with new. I suspect the reason the bendix pinion gear looks new is because it probably is, the old one would have done the damage to your ring gear. I'm afraid it is either engine out, or flywheel through clutch housing, whatever you do. Good luck.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten...!"

#5 Mouintainlion

Mouintainlion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

It seems to me that someone lifted a flywheel out of something form the top. That would beat pulling the engine to get the flywheel off. Since you have another flywheel you can check the size to see if it looks like it can come out though the top. It seems to me that the guy that pulled the flywheel out the top had to take a grinder and knock off 1/8" off of each side of the casting to get it out. I think he had to pull the main clutch to get to it. just some thoughts that might or might no work.

#6 tracker

tracker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the input on this, I've been pull starting with my 4x4 Chevy truck for time being. This works better than I thought it would, as long as it doesn't shut down in a remote area. Tracker.

#7 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

On my MD I just spun the flywheel over to a new spot. I didn't flip my gear around. It wasn't worth my time for the $100 a brand new ring gear cost. It probably would have lasted a lifetime even if I just spun it around, but splitting an MD sucks! I can only imagine pulling the flywheel on a crawler.

They are actually not pressed one, but heated and shrink to fit. Close enough. :rolleyes:
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#8 Mouintainlion

Mouintainlion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

So if you get in there with a torch and heat the ring up enough to move without catching the dozer on fire and move the ring gear 45 degrees for a 4 cyinder or 30 degrees on a 6 you theoreticly would have a new spot on the ring gear for the starter assuming the engine stops short of top dead center.

Reply to this topic