Update or completely new

26 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Tractor mounted corn pickers, of which I know nothing about.

There was a " 2-MH" which I assume means "2 row for Farmall M & H" and a later Model 234 which loooked similar.

Was the 234 an update of the 2-MH or was it completely different?

What was the latest model tractor that would fit the 234?

How was it driven? PTO?

Apparently these old corn pickers are now quite collectable! :)

Regards from Michael H

#2 eieio58

eieio58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Equipment: F12,H,M,400,460,756,986,3388,234 picker,1460 combine...jd 3020, 7000 planter

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have ran both pickers. Both are PTO driven. The 2 MH was a good picker but the 234 is a great picker. The 234 is similar to a corn head with stripper plates and knifed rollers. Once you have the belly and axle mounts on your tractor a 234 can be mounted or dismounted in a matter of minutes. I believe the 66 series are the last to be able to mount a 234. Husking bed, shelling, ear corn grinding, sweet corn and seed corn units were available for the 234. I have the husking, shelling and grinder.

#3 George 2

George 2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I think they could be mounted on the 686 and Hydro 86 also

#4 randy hall

randy hall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Interests:farming with IH tractors and equipment, building and pulling Farmall M's and steam powered equipment

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

the 2MH was built during the 560 era. it's design started as the 2M picker during farmall M production. then the 2ME came during $)) production. the 2MHD was a largerv capacity picker with a twelve roll husking bed. the 234 picker was a clean sheet design and would fit a farmall m up to a 1066 with a narrow front end. all of these pickers drove from the pto. the model 24 mounted picker drove off of the belt pulley drive.

#5 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

I assume there was a TRAIL BEHIND version of the 234.
What was it called?

I assume you drove the tractor into the picker to attatch it.
How was the height adjusted for different Farmall models?

Regards from M.H. B)

#6 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

IH's pull-type pickers were the 1-PR, - one-row pull picker, 1-PRS - same thing but without the husking bed so corn still had the husks on, and the 2-PR. Pull type pickers fell out of popularity really fast when mounted pickers became popular, but there were people who liked them so IH built them up till almost the end... think around 1974 according to CH Wendell's 150 yrs of IHC when they stopped making them.

On the 234 picker, the height differences were aloowd for on the main mounting frame attached to the tractor before the picker was installed, the M held the adapter higher on the tractor, and the 1066 would hold it lower so the picker sat at the same level.

#7 1468 Chris

1468 Chris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Pre 1980s International and Farmall tractors and equipment. My 1468, Dairy Farming, and tractor pulling

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

I can get the wheels slide out and the the brakets on my 400 and the 234 picker installed by myself in an hour and ready for the field if i work steady. Its amazing how easy they are in get on the tractor. My good friend has a JD :ph34r: 227 mounted on a JD60 and it takes the 2 of us a good 4 hours to get his on and operational. I love the old 234 pickers, there the coolest things to run and they always draw attention. Im tryin to find a sheller unit for mine but can't seem to find one. Were the sheller units more "rare" so to speak? And does the sheller take much more power to run then the husking bed? Ive never been around one.

Chris

#8 234-IA

234-IA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

the sheller itself doesn't take more power... but the wagon loaded with shelled corn will take more power to move around, especially in hills. there used to be a fair amount of shellers around here, but most who hung on to 234s did so for ear corn.

they did a nice job, sort of a prototype axial flow... i remember hauling corn to the co-op when we were still using ours, and the long-time employee who ran the grain dump asked, "are you using a picker-sheller?" i said, "yes", and he said "thought so - the guys who used them always had the least damaged corn"

#9 dumbfarmer

dumbfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

sounds like when we hauled in corn from the 1660 after using a 750 massey for years, the unloader guy says "did you get a different combine? wheres all the fines?"

they did a nice job, sort of a prototype axial flow... i remember hauling corn to the co-op when we were still using ours, and the long-time employee who ran the grain dump asked, "are you using a picker-sheller?" i said, "yes", and he said "thought so - the guys who used them always had the least damaged corn"

currently run:smta,460,706gd,966,966 turbo,1066 hydro,1066,7140mfd,MX200,
1660cummins,cat 235 excavator,cat 953c crawler loader
currently want:2388,1200planter 12/23 row

"farm till its all gone"

me and my son planting corn with 1066 and 7200 12row planter in avatar

#10 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

Can't speak for a IH shelling unit, but a NI definitely took way more power to run than a husking bed.............

TP's notebook, Winter 2014..............Case/IH Parts man- "Once you have a Gleaner you gain the comforting knowledge that you are stuck at the bottom of the food chain in the combine world with no hope of ever going up"............."Every time I climb into a sound-guard cab I feel like the Apollo Astronauts did when they climbed through the hatch".............."Farmers are making way to much money when the rural bank remodels both the front AND rear entrance"...................."Horses eat money and S**T work"- Famous Red power member.

Reply to this topic