#1 farmer 43

farmer 43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:trying to restore old farmalls

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

hi out there I am brand new to this forum. I am also new to tractor restoration. Getting right down to bussiness this past winter i rebuilt a super w6 engine and put in a farmall m. This project went relitivly well but i dont seem to have any charge out of my generator. It was rebuilt by a local dealer and after running the tractor at full rpm my gauge doesnt register anything. i can get a few good starts out of the battery but it doesent seem to maintane a charge. I relize 6 volt won't give you the same cranking power as 12 volt but it should sart the tractor every time. if any one has advise on this matter i am all ears.

thanks in advance.

#2 664 CDN

664 CDN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:16 AM

Does it have a voltage regulator, or the cutout style that has a low & high charge position on the light switch?
Ray
664, I1206, F1256, F1456, F300, H, TD5, T20, U1 power unit.
510 sm plow, 70 plow, 415 roller mulcher, 1300 9ft mower, 2350 mount o matic loader, 990 haybine
Dad,s 1940 Farmall A

#3 hillman

hillman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:IH tractors in general, cars and life

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

take a jumper wire and touch the armature/gen terminal to power.it will momentarily spark.That polarizes the system and usually will make a system that has had something disconnected start charging

If it doesn't charge ground the field terminal on the regulator or right on the generator.Thats what the system requires for full output so watch the amp gauge to see if it works.if it doesn't charge with the fields grounded you have generator problems.If it charges you have regulator trouble.
If yours is an older unit it may have a cutout that controls the charging manually like 664 Cdn states.In that case turn the light switch to the" H" position

#4 Matt Kirsch

Matt Kirsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

The battery should give you more than a few good starts, even if the generator isn't charging... You might want to check your connections, especially the ground.

If you've got those clamp-on repair ends for the battery cables, take 'em apart and clean that up too. Those things will bite you in the butt every time.

#5 farmer 43

farmer 43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Does it have a voltage regulator, or the cutout style that has a low & high charge position on the light switch?
Ray

it has a regulator and it is also band new. i dont have any lights lights on it as of yet so i bypassed the light switch is this a big no no.

#6 farmer 43

farmer 43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

The battery should give you more than a few good starts, even if the generator isn't charging... You might want to check your connections, especially the ground.

If you've got those clamp-on repair ends for the battery cables, take 'em apart and clean that up too. Those things will bite you in the butt every time.

i have all new conectors but i can easliy make sure they are all tight and clean. and also my battery is only 600 cca if i remember right how much cranking time do you think i can get of that.

#7 farmer 43

farmer 43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

take a jumper wire and touch the armature/gen terminal to power.it will momentarily spark.That polarizes the system and usually will make a system that has had something disconnected start charging

If it doesn't charge ground the field terminal on the regulator or right on the generator.Thats what the system requires for full output so watch the amp gauge to see if it works.if it doesn't charge with the fields grounded you have generator problems.If it charges you have regulator trouble.
If yours is an older unit it may have a cutout that controls the charging manually like 664 Cdn states.In that case turn the light switch to the" H" position

i will try the polerizing and grounding the feild terminal. next time i am at the farm

#8 John cub owner

John cub owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

go here and follow the toruble shooting chart.
http://s101.photobuc...ingchartrev.gif

Did you repaint? You may not have a good ground on the regualtor, or even the generator.

#9 ksnyder

ksnyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Farmall 400 is our smallest tractor, don't no much about an M but I don't think their was much difference. I would dump the generator,regulator and six volt stuff. I'll keep this short cheaper number one number two your tractor will start no matter what hot or cold or if it sets for months.

#10 hillman

hillman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:IH tractors in general, cars and life

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

600 cca is very small for a 6 volt battery esp for a 264 cube engine. I put 770-800 cca batteries in a W4 or H and they are a physically smaller sized battery.The generator does not need to be grounded unless the regulator is mounted on top of it.

Just like hp debates I see no reason the convert to 12 volts if everything is in tip top condition. That said if your starter is worn and the battery and cables etc are poor it will turn slowly on 6 volts. 6 volt systems need to be maintianed properly and they work just fine IMHO

Reply to this topic