A sad in in Pa

9 replies to this topic

#1 1466 Black Stripe

1466 Black Stripe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:IH 1466's,the 66series,and the v8's.I like the BlackStripes the best.Also into Cub Cadets

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

http://www.wgal.com/...xz/-/index.html

Guy and his sons lived in Pa and were working at a Maryland farm.

#2 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thats so horrible! I used to semi tank manure and one winter I watched a guy walk out on a lagoon with a chainsaw to cut a hole in the manure laden ice to get a lagoon pump in and befor he got the hole halfway cut he fell through but was close to the edge so he got out safely. Scarey deal those pits can be!
Everybody bleeds red!

#3 EquipmentJunkie

EquipmentJunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:Tractors, motorcycles, cars, trucks,...things with engines, especially diesel engines.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

I saw that story this morning, too. Based on the names, I am guessing that there are black hats or black cars involved. I asked if any of my co-workers knew the family, but none did. Very sad.
Nothing cranks me like compression ignition.

#4 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I saw that story this morning, too. Based on the names, I am guessing that there are black hats or black cars involved. I asked if any of my co-workers knew the family, but none did. Very sad.

What do you mean by black hats or black cars?
Everybody bleeds red!

#5 randy hall

randy hall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:farming with IH tractors and equipment, building and pulling Farmall M's and steam powered equipment

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

What do you mean by black hats or black cars?

Mennonites

#6 EquipmentJunkie

EquipmentJunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:Tractors, motorcycles, cars, trucks,...things with engines, especially diesel engines.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yes, conservative Mennonites. The recently posted video from WGAL shows all vehicles on the farm to be black in color.

#7 international3088MFD

international3088MFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Big boy toys, hopelessly addicted to diesel and horsepower, ..and IH. duh.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yes, conservative Mennonites. The recently posted video from WGAL shows all vehicles on the farm to be black in color.

not only that, it happened in lancaster county. big amish/mennonite area.

WEGMAN FARMS: 325 acres of corn, beans, oats and alfalfa crop rotation.
80 cow Holstein milking operation.

Tractors on the Farm: Case IH MX Magnum 200, MX Magnum 180, McCormick MTX 135, Case IH MX 110, IH 686 D312 diesel, Farmall DX55, Farmall Super M, stage II, Case 650 dozer. IH 1420 combine. Run Red

My Tractors: 1972 IH 1066, 1957 Farmall 350, 1950 Farmall H, Cub Cadet 100, Cub Cadet 682. Cub Cadet 149, 1951 Massey Harris 44, 350 V-8 conversion tractor.

SEARCHING FOR: International 966 Diesel. Serial number: 29192
Gone but not forgotten: International 3088 open station w/ Elwood MFD

012~1.gif

#8 EquipmentJunkie

EquipmentJunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Very true, 3088. Being a local, I guess that I was surprised at who the victims were and where they were located. The southern part of Lancaster County will not have as many conservative Mennonites, like the victims. They tend to be in the northern portion of the county. The Amish are more common in the southern part of the county. With the Amish population doubling in size every ten years or so, they are simply beginning to spread to where farms are being sold. Twenty years ago, Rt. 23 (which heads east of Lancaster) was joked about as being the Demarkation Zone. Literally,conservative Mennonites were on the north of Rt. 23 and Amish on the south. With both groups experiencing growing populations, they buy a farm when they become available. A farm is a farm whether in "enemy" territory or not.

#9 56series

56series

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Interests:Family, Anything IHC, Farming, and Turn Wrench for a CAT dealer.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

This is sad to hear!... This is a very sad day for Pennsylvania, and the Amish/Mennonite. Just to day the neighbor who hires Amish kids to help on there dairy farm in Indiana County lost one amish boy (18) years old today. An almost lost his brother 14 years old too. The farm just filled silo (with haylage) yesterday the oldest boy climb up today to level, and lost his life to asphyxiation. The second boy climb up the outside ladder to help him, but he couldn't breath and was able to get out. Sad news today.

Prayers to all families.

Jason

#10 Guest_Robert Drummond_*

Guest_Robert Drummond_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Very Very Sad day, I hate to hear about this !

Reply to this topic