How important is timing?

2 replies to this topic

#1 RED211

RED211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:My girls,all red tractors,a little MX, machines that move dirt,and a little snow sking.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Well the 149 I got two years ago had a weak engine that wasn't original so I did a little job for a guy last year and got an almost new replacement 14 Kohler. I installed it last year and mowed MIL and my yard all summer. It ran good but the walbro just didn't seem right, like the governor wouldn't pick up and a bad dead spot off idle. I cleaned it to be sure and set timing before installation. It has been getting worse on power,or lack of it, and didn't start like it should, so I checked the timing yesterday before driving it up the block to mow MILs yard. I set the timing mark in center of hole and checked points with ohm meter. They had not broke so a slight adjustment had them breaking right on mark, and it was just a slight adjustment. WOW, what a difference, started better, idled better, no more dead spot on the throttle and plenty of power again.

So moral of the story, check you timing more than once a year if you want that old cub running like it should. Yee Haw, I love my Cub!

#2 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

I set the timing in my Kohler's with an inductive timing light. Wish the Onan in my 982 had timing marks!

#3 RED211

RED211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
  • Interests:My girls,all red tractors,a little MX, machines that move dirt,and a little snow sking.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

I plan on rechecking it with a light, time that day was a little tight. After running it I was so tickled with it's performance it can't be off by much. I didn't even get to re-adjust that stinky walbro so after that could be even better. I know the power was getting down bad enough that any uphill I had to slow down to keep RPM up with the 44" deck spinning. Looking forward, like I don't always look forward to cub seat time, to mowing my back yard since that is where the performance issue really showed up because of the slight uphill grade.

Reply to this topic