#1 cwinn

cwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Red tractors,Elwood 4wd's,Cadets

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

Some of you will think this is a dumb question,but I 'm not real familiar with these.Can I take an old orginal IH oneway hyd. cylinder and drill out the vent and put in a fitting to make it a two way cylinder??I have aquired several off old 400 planters and would like to use them on my IH trailer plows to make them look authentic with the IH cylinder.Thanks for any help or suggestions.I like the looks of IH equipment with a IH cylinder,maybe I'm just silly like the spouse seems to think.

#2 DT361

DT361

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

If it has a vent, it already sounds to be a two-way; just modified to operate as a one-way. Regular one-ways (at least the ones I've seen) do not have any seals at the internal end of the rod.....just a keeper ring that prevents the rod from coming all the way out. Again, this is only what I've seen and they are not IH brand.

Thanks
Mark
450 gasser #37895; 1206 #7930

#3 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

True one-way cylinders have vent, usually a slot with no threads where cylinder could have hose attaced and turn it into a two way.

Two way cylinders have vent threaded into hole where hose would attach to operate the cylinder as two way. In old days I would drill a pipe plug and insert a cotter key to vent a two way cylinder when I wanted to use it as a one way. Now you can buy a true vent to convert a two way cylinder to one way.

Some more expensive two way cylinders have both hoses attached at same end. The oil istransported to other end of cylinder thru a tube on tope of cylinder. These still can be vented and used as one way.

One way cylinders only work if implement has weight and gravity to lower it and oil raises it. Or in case of some front mounted cultivators the one way raised the cultivator gangs and a spring mounted on the cylinder bracket pulle the one way cylinder back.

Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#4 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,514 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Well said Bill.
The use of a two way cylinder is pretty much a waste unless your tractor is equipped with power down on the hydraulics. If you have it great if you don't you'd be wasting your time.
Little Wonder, I'm no Little Genius. But I get closer to being a #60 with each passing year.

Grandpa's Surer H, 1944 H, My ole 1066, 710 6-16 Automatic, Little Genius plows, 1 and 2 bottom ,2 bottom Little Wonder,2-#27V mowers, a #25 mower, #7 mower, 240 HM, 2 row cultivators, High wheel McCormick grain drill, S-3 Cream Separator. Collecting ole Red Iron can be expensive, But It sure is fun.

#5 cwinn

cwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Red tractors,Elwood 4wd's,Cadets

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the quick insite guys,I guess what Bill is saying in not so many words is use the oneway cylider anyway for the plow??I guess it would'nt hurt because we use stops on all our plows anyway so we all plow about the same depth.These will be pulled with a 400 ,MDTA,or 706G,all 4bottoms.Couple years ago we couldnt find trailer plows now this year we all have a nice set to pull and not enough cylinders.Just having fun and not spending alot of money .Hope I didnt over think this ,thanks again..

#6 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

CWINN, Plow has plenty of weight and suction when plowing to keep plow down so one way will work fine especially with mechanical stops to control depth. Two way cylinder will not "force" plow in ground ,just raise the land wheel off the ground if ground is real hard. We used to joke that in hard ground you could put a wheel weight on land wheel and even fill with fluid so that when you raised wheel the extra weight would "force" plow in ground. Believe me it would not be worth the effort.

Good luck, Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#7 Rawleigh99

Rawleigh99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

My 710 semimount has a one way cylinder on the tail wheel. I think in your case a one way would be more authentic and work fine. Also one less hose to buy and have go bad.
Rawleigh

1973 IH 500C a.k.a."Calico Cat"
1955 Cat D2 5U bulldozer with Hyster D2N winch
1945 Cat D2 3J crawler tractor
1979 Pettibone "Super 6" Forklift a.k.a. "Too Tall"
1973 Ford F600 Dump Truck
1980 Ford F350 Flatbed a.k.a. "Beastie"
1960 Allis Chalmers Model 72 All Crop combine
1966 Case 931 Comfort King Tractor

Sold:

1988 Mack R688ST Road Tractor
1955 IH TD 9 with Drott Loader

#8 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Back in the day Dad always had 2-way cylinders on the plows, disc's, etc. But that was more due to the fact the old '47 M & '51 M had 2-way hyd, the M even the live M&W pump. Then the SM-TA & 450 were both live 2-way.

Like everyone said, a 2-way cyl. on a pull type plow won't make any difference, at least on a disc you can raise the transport wheels off the ground.

#9 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,603 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Our old 3x14" # 8 & 3x14 #16 plows both had 2 way cylinders but as Doc said, our M & SM both had live hyds. First plow that I used that had a 1-way cylinder was our IH # 540. Bought a new 710 in 1975 that had a 1-way cylinder on the tail wheel. IHboog's 7x16" onland # 720 has 2 way cylinders front & rear. Only difference I can see between a 2 way & a 1-way cylinder is that the 2-way will "lower" the plow to the ground where as the 1-way let's it "drop". A restrictor could be put into the hyd line to slow the "drop" on a 1-way.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

#10 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Looks like this has already been fairly well hashed out but I thought I would throw in my 2¢ as well... ;)
Of all the plows we have had since I was a kid until now, (which has been quite a few) I don't think we ever used anything but a one-way cylinder on any of them. Like others have said, there is really no need for a 2-way cylinder in that application.

Not that it matters, but if you are going for originality, the cylinder off of a 400 cyclo is probably not actually "correct". Of course it might depend on what plow you are using but most trailer plows that I am aware of didn't use that style.
That said - those cylinders would still work well in the plow application, I would think. You might want to check and see what the stroke it though.

-FT

- You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the industrious out of it.
-You don't multiply wealth by dividing it.
- Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else.
- Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving.
- The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
-Adrian Pierce Rogers

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

"Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained"

-George Washington

Reply to this topic