#1 onecincyfarmer66

onecincyfarmer66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Farming, BowHunting, Hay production, cattle, IH TRACTORS

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

We have a new to us IH 1066. It had 10% rear 18.4x38 tires. When you drive in road gear, the right rear tire has a slight wobble in it. This is a vertical wobble, IE the tire and rim look like they are wobbling in and out. This can be seen by someone following the tractor. We have replaced the tires and still there is this slight wobble. Any ideas to fix the wobble? We don't wear out brand new tires early!!!! Is the wobble something to be worried about?

Thanks

#2 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

My neighbors 1066 he bought a couple years ago had the exact same thing. He had to make shims to put between the axle and cast wheel to get it to run straight. It has the clamps and not the wedges and I think it wears if they are not tightened properly.

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#3 onecincyfarmer66

onecincyfarmer66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

We got wedge lock centers. Tom do you think that it could have worn like that if the wedge locks didn't get set and tighten right? My uncle thought something like that. This will be a hay tractor and right now its on narrow rows, so we need to move the wheels out. Just got to find a wedge lock tool!!!

#4 nate

nate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

If the wheel (cast center) runs true the wedges probably are not tightened evenly. There are two driver lugs that get put 90 degrees from each other and are different from the rest of the wedges. I would guess that the wedges are not tightened evenly and are tweaking the rim a bit
Good luck
Nate

#5 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

We got wedge lock centers. Tom do you think that it could have worn like that if the wedge locks didn't get set and tighten right? My uncle thought something like that. This will be a hay tractor and right now its on narrow rows, so we need to move the wheels out. Just got to find a wedge lock tool!!!

I have no idea, I have never messed with wedgelocks. I am sure others on here will know.

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#6 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm betting NATE has the right answer here. If the wedgeloc wheels were run slightly loose long enough the axle bar or wedges could be wore enough for the wobble to be in the wheel. I would fix the wobble, maybe moving the cast center to a different place on the axle will cure it.

If the rim clamps are the source of the wobble, jack the wheels up, loosen the clamps, tighten them in a cross pattern starting at the top, then bottom, then left & right side, a little at a time while checking for wobble.

#7 hagan

hagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Interests:grandpas 41 H & my first tractor 63 806sn673 are my prize possessions Farming tractors 96 7210 2wd: 90 7110 MFWD: 92 7140 MFWD: and my 61 560 D is the old pump tractor that is pretty beat up.
    1440 Combine: CaseIH 8590 Baler:MF 9635 rotary windrower with double crimper :dads 63 loadstar 1600 that i haul the first load of crop to elevator with each year

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

i always tighten the rims like i do the Dayton wheels on the grain trucks with a hammer standing on its head and tighten them that a way

#8 dumbfarmer

dumbfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

my 1066 has the same problem no matter where the wheel is on the axle. weve had it on 38,36 and now 30 settings. i say its a bad wheel cast center. one side wobbles and the other side is fine.
currently run:smta,460,706gd,966,966 turbo,1066 hydro,1066,7140mfd,MX200,
1660cummins,cat 235 excavator,cat 953c crawler loader
currently want:2388,1200planter 12/23 row

"farm till its all gone"

me and my son planting corn with 1066 and 7200 12row planter in avatar

#9 onecincyfarmer66

onecincyfarmer66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for all the insight!!! Guess I've got to try a few things to see what it is forsure. Even though we only travel 6-8 mile on the road to get to our other farms want to get it fixed. Now I got to find a wedge lock tool to get them loose. Will keep everyone updated when we get to it.
Thanks again

#10 Tjoker

Tjoker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:5288,1066,1486, 1206w,2-1026,706,100 hydro, f-12, F-20 road grader, jd: 2355n, 60, BO,37"A", 1918 fordson, Cat D-4, Oliver 60, A-C I-60-Backhoe, B

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

May sure all the little wedges holding the cast hub to the rim are aligned right.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, Wobble, rear tractor tire wobble, 1066, Wheel, Rim