7 replies to this topic

#1 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I got the TD9 out tonight to give my nephew a ride.
I hadn't really gone anywhere with it to speak of since I got it all put together other than just puttering around the buildings here.
Tonight, it was nice out and so I headed down my drive (about 1/4 mile) in 3rd gear at about 1/2 throttle.
We turned around at the end, heading back and I threw it in high (5th) gear and opened it up.
We didn't get very far before it started pulling down like it was under a load. I wasn't sure what was happening so I shifted down to 4th and tried again. Same result..
I limped her back to the shed in a lower gear and shut her down. I thought I saw some smoke while I was backing up so once it was shut down, I opened the little inspection covers on the rear end and smoke trailed out of both of them.
So, should I assume that the brakes are dragging, or..?
I set them buy the book twice after we finished the installation so I don't understand why they would be dragging..
Could use some insight here...
TIA

-FT

- You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the industrious out of it.
-You don't multiply wealth by dividing it.
- Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else.
- Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving.
- The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
-Adrian Pierce Rogers

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

"Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained"

-George Washington

#2 LoggerLee

LoggerLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:Tractors,guns,trucks,antique equipment.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Have you checked your oil levels?
Its probably just sticky linkages, the right brake on my TD14a is sticky from sitting so long, and it will smoke if I don't hop off and hammer it loose after I forget that steering clutch and brake are just there for looks. (brake actually works, but why use that one when the steering clutch wont disengage?)
1 T20
1 TD14A
3 TD9s
And some TD14 street tracks and chains and sprockets I'd like to sell.

International Harvester crawler group on Facebook http://www.facebook....57096181046179/

#3 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Well... I don't know...
Since I just had all of that apart and put it all together again... It seem less likely to me that the linkages would be the culprit. :huh:
Seems more like it's dragging and the hotter it gets, the more it drags. That's the way it SEEMS, at least...
I just walked by it a few minutes ago and I could clearly smell that acrid burnt brake smell in the air.. :(

-FT

- You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the industrious out of it.
- Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else.
- Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving.
- The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
-Adrian Pierce Rogers

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

"Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained"

-George Washington

#4 crawlernut

crawlernut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:TD35,TD6, TD6-61, TD9(3),TD14,TD14A,TD14(141)(2), TD18A, 1952 Ferg.TO30,MF 50,1929 John Deere D,1947 John Deere D,1917 Holt 45 hp Harvester Engine,1911 Reid Oilfield Engine, Antique Flywheel Engines,Antique Garden tractors.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Tom, I think you are correct in the brakes dragging. Try backing off the adjustment a couple of turns and take her for another spin. May be just some high spots that need to get mated to the drum to get a close adjustment. Run it loose for a while then adjust the pedal travel per book. Jim.
The functioning rustaholic.

#5 M Diesel

M Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I found the settings to be a tad aggressive as well. Dragging was a problem and have to set them a bit loose. Probably not an issue with all new parts but my drums are what they are.
Gary M
1951 M -- 1951 MD
1953 Super C -- 1957 Farmall 450
1953 TD9 "Ichabod JR" aka "Icky"
1949 TD18 "Brutus" -- 1956 TD18-182 "Yard Dog"
1964 Loadstar 1600 -- 1975 Loadstar 1700 dump truck
1949 Massey 44

#6 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too...
Proper setup probably works great for "like-new" bands, etc. but, like the guy at the brake lining place said...
You gotta' remember how old these things are... You are doing good if you even have something that isn't tweaked or sprung too far to even be re-usable..! :unsure:

I decided I'd re-set them since they did have a little time on them now. (though not a lot)
I just got done backing her up onto some blocks and taking the bttm covers off...
Just came in to re-read the procedure to make sure I'm doin' it "right". :rolleyes:
I think I'll set them a little "fat" this time. ;)

-FT

PS - If all of this wasn't irritating enough... When I backed it onto the blocks, I discovered that the left side has a leak (drip) :angry: and one of the left side bttm rollers also seems to have a leak.. :(

-Adrian Pierce Rogers

-Winston Churchill

-George Washington

#7 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Alright - I spend some time jacking around with them and I THINK I got the brake-drag problem fixed.
However, I now notice that the right brake (the one that was draggin the most before) will not really "lock up".
The left side is much more responsive when you pull the lever and "bump" the brake but the right side you almost have to stand on to turn if you are going slow... :(
Did I smoke that brake in such a short amount of time..?? Could it be glazed up from getting hot or something..??

-FT

-Adrian Pierce Rogers

-Winston Churchill

-George Washington

#8 IH915

IH915

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

You might check the engagment of the right clutch. It might not be fully disengaging like the left clutch seems to be doing. My old TD15 was bad for rusty clutch plates if it set alot .Find a small hill and pull both clutchs back and see if you come to an immediate stop. If you go into a right turn, the right clutch is still partialy engaged. On level ground, no load, both clutchs back,no brakes, dead stop. Once you have that, fine tune brake adjustment for a low speed turn with brake. I don't feather clutches and jam brakes to do a power under load turn. Will shorten their lives. Will do a steering correction with a partial load, and from then on, straight ahead. Your new shoes are probably allright Probably a surface rust problem on clutch drum or clutch plates.

Reply to this topic