Photo

Injector timing for D1150 loader dozer with Case 401D engine.

4 replies to this topic

#1 tcmtech

tcmtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

We just picked up a late 70's Case D1150 bucket dozer that has been sitting for a number of years and was not the best taken care of.
The major parts were taken care of but the small stuff didnt get much attention.

It has starting and power issues which I have beginning to think may be related to an improperly timed injector pump.
It has the Bosch P series inline pump system and the timing marks on the crankshaft do not match the timing marks on the pump input gear which has me suspecting the timing gears have been changed out at some point and the pump is off a tooth or two from where it should be.

It almost starts on its own when its cold but needs a small shot of either to get going however once its ran for even a few tens of seconds it will restart without hesitation. Once its running it seems sluggish and labored and blows black smoke easily without much load on it.
The engine has around 8700 hours but not much blowby. My thoughts at first were low compression but the lack of white smoke after start up does not suggest it as being the primary issue.

I also did a basic exhaust temp check with my IR temp sensor and at idle all six exhaust ports are within 50 degrees of each other. Lowest at 255 highest at 305. However when I run it hard for a few minutes #1 and #6 exhaust ports only get to around 380 degrees and the other four run between 650 and 740.

"If you have nothing nice to say find others who feel like you and start a mob! "  ;)  

#2 tcmtech

tcmtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

I did some more checking and poking around this afternoon and found a few other things. I took the front ROPs bars off and got the hood off. I noticed that with the hood off I have a few loud rocker arm ticks that seem to be coming from the cylinders with the lowest exhaust temps and there is a noticeable pulsation in the intake air flow that seem to match the ticks when I idle it down to where its just about to stall.

I suspect I may have a few intake and exhaust valve rockers that are way out of adjustment. I also loosened the injector pump bolts and rotated it while it was running.
Right now its set as far advanced as the slots will allow. When I moved it as far retarded as it would allow the bogging and dark smoke got considerably worse and it didn't have enough power to move in anything but the lowest gear plus it would not start with the engine warmed up unless I gave it a short shot of either again.

When the injector pump timing marks are lined up the crankshaft timing mark is about 30 - 40 degrees ahead of the pointer.

Does this sound like improper injector timing issue to anyone else and if so what is the correct timing mark relationship between the crankshaft pulley mark and the pump drive gear mark?

"If you have nothing nice to say find others who feel like you and start a mob! "  ;)  

#3 tcmtech

tcmtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

I put some more time into checking the injection system over and found that the timing was off one tooth. Now it starts better, sounds better, smokes less and has considerably better power! :D

The exhaust temps are now all running around 440 - 470 degrees after being run at a heavy load for a few minutes! :)

I did a cold start this morning at 50 F and it popped right off with about 1/2 second shot of either opposed to needing about 2 - 3 seconds now! B)

Next will be reseting the valve lash and hooking up the intake preheater system.

#4 tcmtech

tcmtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

I did some more follow up work on the engine today. One intake pushrod was half way off the rocker causing about 3/8" of an inch of free play on that intake valve. That was where my primary intake pulse issue came from. I also found two other intake rockers had about 1/8" gaps when the valves were closed and two exhaust valves with around 3/16" amount of slack as well.

Runs even better with the valve train properly set now plus the new muffler makes a difference too!

It can spin the tracks in low gear when I put the bucket into the hillside by my shop so I don't think I need to work on getting any more power out of it any more. B)

Next is all new gages, wiring, and hydraulic lines. :D

#5 tcmtech

tcmtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

For a follow up I have got the old D1150 up and running well. All the filters and fluids have been changed, a new electrical system has been fabricated, and a whole new cutting edge design has been added to the bucket! B)

I did a little rework of a 24 volt commercial intake preheat grid system that was designed for Cummins engines similar to what the Dodge pickups use and added that to the intake system now. However now that the engine has gotten some run time on it and is tuned up properly its been starting without needing the preheat or either. :D

Yesterday I took it out and did some dirt work with it for around two hours during which which it had no trouble at all other than running a bit warmer than I would have liked! The old monster seems like its happy to be out working again after sitting for who knows low long and being just short of heading off to the scrap yard. B)

I still have to fix the steering brake master cylinders, add the new work lights and most likely flush the whole cooling system out good. The antifreeze turned to mud after it warmed up and got its workout so that suggests to me it needs a good flush and cleaning. ;)

And thanks for all the help so far. Its been great talking to myself. <_<

Reply to this topic