picked up a nice 560 plow today

27 replies to this topic

#21 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Oh heck those moldboards aren't even rusty. They'll shine right up on the first pass.

I think you are right, but it would sort of depend on the length of the first pass. :) There actually is a little bit of grease left on some parts of some of the shares.

Ron

#22 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

I got a manual for the plow today and I see there is a part call the "Vertical Limiter" that I did not get with the plow. The manual says to remove the center link of a 3-point, so apparently it must operate differently. Once the dimension is established, is that limiter a solid piece or does it telescope in use? I do not know where to obtain the part, but if I knew how it worked I could probably make one. Or find something that would work. Any ideas?

Ron

I studied things a little, and if I understand correctly, I should be able to make this limiter out of an aftermarket top link. I also looked in the CIH parts catalog on line for the part numbers for the limiter. I have not checked to see if they are available from CIH. I assume some later model plows use the same thing.

Ron

#23 Rawleigh99

Rawleigh99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ron: Barbecue black will also work well for painting them. It stays soft. Plow paint is hard to find around here now.
Rawleigh

1973 IH 500C a.k.a."Calico Cat"
1955 Cat D2 5U bulldozer with Hyster D2N winch
1945 Cat D2 3J crawler tractor
1979 Pettibone "Super 6" Forklift a.k.a. "Too Tall"
1973 Ford F600 Dump Truck
1980 Ford F350 Flatbed a.k.a. "Beastie"
1960 Allis Chalmers Model 72 All Crop combine
1966 Case 931 Comfort King Tractor

Sold:

1988 Mack R688ST Road Tractor
1955 IH TD 9 with Drott Loader

#24 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I got a manual for the plow today and I see there is a part call the "Vertical Limiter" that I did not get with the plow. The manual says to remove the center link of a 3-point, so apparently it must operate differently. Once the dimension is established, is that limiter a solid piece or does it telescope in use? I do not know where to obtain the part, but if I knew how it worked I could probably make one. Or find something that would work. Any ideas?

Ron

I studied things a little, and if I understand correctly, I should be able to make this limiter out of an aftermarket top link. I also looked in the CIH parts catalog on line for the part numbers for the limiter. I have not checked to see if they are available from CIH. I assume some later model plows use the same thing.

Ron

Ron,
You don't need that "limiter".
There were a LOT of those plows sold back when and many of them are still in use today (we have a 540 and a 550) and I have never once even seen one of those limiters that are shown in the manual.

-FT

- You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the industrious out of it.
-You don't multiply wealth by dividing it.
- Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else.
- Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving.
- The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
-Adrian Pierce Rogers

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

"Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained"

-George Washington

#25 IH Forever

IH Forever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

My Dad has one of the limiters for the 3rd link that he bought on a bale rack at a farm auction. He bought it because it was different. Said he didn't remember anyone actually ever using one.

And to answer your question it is not solid like a 3rd link. It telescopes or compresses. I think the thought is to prevent the front end from coming up to far.
Collecting Fast Hitch implements...always looking for more.

#26 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Ron

Ron

Ron,
There were a LOT of those plows sold back when and many of them are still in use today (we have a 540 and a 550) and I have never once even seen one of those limiters that are shown in the manual.

-FT

Thanks FarmallTom. That would explain why there is no paint worn off where this "limiter" attaches to the plow. I can see where one was probably on there maybe the first time the plow was used, or maybe when transported home from the dealer. This plow was bought new and worked the farm not more than 5 miles from the dealer, 20 miles from me, until I bought it last month.

Ron

#27 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

My Dad has one of the limiters for the 3rd link that he bought on a bale rack at a farm auction. He bought it because it was different. Said he didn't remember anyone actually ever using one.

And to answer your question it is not solid like a 3rd link. It telescopes or compresses. I think the thought is to prevent the front end from coming up to far.

Thanks for that information, IHForever. I thought it looked like that in the book, but it is not really clear. It makes sense that when the front of the tractor goes down it should not be able to pull the plow up out of the ground which it might do if a solid link. I can certainly see where it is sort of unnecessary and with the proper dimensions, would be easy to make.

Ron

#28 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Ron,

-FT

I agree with FT. I ran a 540 and then a 560 from 1967 to 1975s & I have seen, let alone use a "vertical limiter". I don't even have an idea what one is.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

Reply to this topic