picked up a nice 560 plow today

27 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I got a nice old 560 moldboard plow that has mostly been stored inside. It is 6-16s and the old 1566 has 20.8's on it. Not sure how that is going to work out. Up on the land would be fine, but this plow is not set up that way. At least it is something to play with. I have never plowed with one of these, so learning will be in order. I understand they are not the most desirable plow, but this one is in such nice shape and the price was right.

Ron

#2 Takn4aFool

Takn4aFool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

what is your concern, that the 3 point wont go down far enough or the tire wont fit in the furrow?
used to have a 1066 with 20.8 tires and a 700 semi-mounted 5-16 plow, and later a 700 trailer plow. the 3 pt. going down far enough was never a problem and as far as the tire fitting in the furrow it wont be a problem. the rims on my 1066 were widened out to 22 inches , sure made a flat faced tire because the beads were actually wider the face.

#3 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

The 20.8's in a 16 inch furrow won't be a problem. Years ago EVERYBODY around home ran 18.4's in 14 inch furrows. Unless you hug the furrow wall tight you may see where the furrow tire packs the plowed ground a bit, but running a bit faster throws the dirt far enough to cover it up.

#4 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I was concerned about the tire fitting in the furrow. I didn't think about the 3-point not going down far enough, but I really didn't think about that issue. The only "large" plow I ever used was 5-16 pull type, and pulled with at D-4 Cat or a 60 & 70 Deere in a tandem setup. All pulled on the land, not in the furrow.

Ron

#5 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

As Takn4aFool and the good Dr. Evil have stated the 20.8 tires are not the problem you think they are in a 16" furrow. Yes you will be mashing down the fresh plowed ground right next to the furrow. But as the Doctor prescribed run a little faster and cover it over and no one will ever know. A cousin of mine ran a 1456 with 20.8's in a 16" furrow for years. At this point in time any old plow of that size is valuable. Some like the 700, 710 and 720 series are alot more popular because of the availability of the automatic reset bottoms. The 720 is an almost plug proof plow in corn stalks compaired to most any other plow. But in an area that isn't bothered with a lot of rock that 560 will do a good job of turning ground.
Little Wonder, I'm no Little Genius. But I get closer to being a #60 with each passing year.

Grandpa's Surer H, 1944 H, My ole 1066, 710 6-16 Automatic, Little Genius plows, 1 and 2 bottom ,2 bottom Little Wonder,2-#27V mowers, a #25 mower, #7 mower, 240 HM, 2 row cultivators, High wheel McCormick grain drill, S-3 Cream Separator. Collecting ole Red Iron can be expensive, But It sure is fun.

#6 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

You fellows make me feel good about my purchase. There are no rocks around here, but there are lots of corn stalks and I gathered by the conversations that the 560 would plug more than others. Just have to do something with the stalks first. Chop or disk.
Any suggestions as to how much weight to put on the front of the 1566 with this plow? I don't have any as of yet. The tractor was not sold with the weights, just the rack.

Ron

#7 Old-F20

Old-F20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Professional BUM, Part time Slacker, antique tractor and car restorer

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Get it set up right and you wont have any problems in corn ground. we have a plow day here every fall and all we do is corn ground. i used a #412 behind my 450LP and did a great job. trick with corn is getting GOOD coulters and getting them set right. you wanna cut the trash, not roll over it or push it
"It takes less time to do something right than it does to explain why you did it wrong" Grandmas advice

GENIUS BY BIRTH, SLACKER BY CHOICE

#8 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I tried some plastic coverboards out this year, and after running steel for years I have to say I am sold on the plastic.............I sure think that slick surface eliminated all the plugging issues I would have had. Plowed some decent yeilding corn under, and I thought for sure it was plugged a few times but once the clump got big enough the cover board just threw it over and it was buried.

TP's notebook, Winter 2014..............Case/IH Parts man- "Once you have a Gleaner you gain the comforting knowledge that you are stuck at the bottom of the food chain in the combine world with no hope of ever going up"............."Every time I climb into a sound-guard cab I feel like the Apollo Astronauts did when they climbed through the hatch".............."Farmers are making way to much money when the rural bank remodels both the front AND rear entrance"...................."Horses eat money and S**T work"- Famous Red power member.

#9 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

You shouldn't have any if not to many problems if you have your coulter set right and the plow is scoured good . We had a 560 plow semi and trailer 6-16s and hardly ever had plugging problems unless stalks are wet or tuff. So don't get in a hurry first thing in the morning let the sun dry things out a bit.
JOHN E . GROTT

#10 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

The plow has a very good set of coulters on it. It will take a little to get it scouring. It was shedded all its life until the last year and it sat outside with nothing on the moldboards. Of course they got rusty. No pits, just rusty. I won't have anyplace to plow with it until fall. I need to do something to the moldboards before then but I am not sure what.

Ron

Reply to this topic