BATTLESHIP the Movie

18 replies to this topic

#11 Birdman

Birdman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything outdoors. IH machines owned: 6788 2+2, 3088 cab tractor, 1660 CIH combine, IH 800 8rw planter, 9400i Eagle 2003 Tt

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I haven't seen battleship yet but it'll have to go a very very long ways to top "The Avengers"...best super hero movie ever...
They even managed to pull off some decent comedy along the way.

eagle511.png

If you love agriculture and wildlife, visit my website! Click on the link below:
http://www.sustainab....com/index.html

#12 Steve C.

Steve C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, '06 - '86 series Internationals, Datsun Z's, late 60's / early '70's rock, tractor pulls (preferably 6 cyl. smokers), fishing, power tools, history.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

I believe you're right about the South Dakota, Al. I think they got their radar knocked out early on that night, and took some hits that the Washington didn't.

The South Dakota gained some fame as a deadly AA platform during the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. I think they claimed 26 Japanese planes shot down, though I'm not sure that's right.

Attached Thumbnails

• South Dakota at Santa Cruz.jpg

#13 Super A

Super A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I believe you're right about the South Dakota, Al. I think they got their radar knocked out early on that night, and took some hits that the Washington didn't.

The South Dakota gained some fame as a deadly AA platform during the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. I think they claimed 26 Japanese planes shot down, though I'm not sure that's right.

I'm basing most of my comments off an article on the USS Washington's website--I believe it's by David Lippman, called "A Fork in the Road." Anyway IIRC as the battle started someone on the South Dakota tied all the electrical circuit breakers together and promptly blew everything--the ship was literally dead in the water for a while and then the Japanese illuminated it with searchlights and it took a pounding.

I may have to see the movie just to see them fire the 16"guns. MAN they were something. They could throw a 2500 lb shell close to 20 miles and hit what they were aiming at, even in the '40s! FWIW there are a couple videos on youtube of the 16" guns on the Wisconsin being fired---very cool, except I didn't see a full, 9-gun salvo. Now that would be something to see!!

Al

"Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest." Super A x 2, 424, 230,  Cub, 52R combine, R-160 truck, 856 D, Super A-1, White Demo Super A, 5 geese, and 11 cats

#14 Bermuda_Ken

Bermuda_Ken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts
  • Interests:IH & Kenworth literature, O-scale trains.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Al...I think a USS flat top in WWII would be a pretty safe place to be. They were very well protected by cruisers and destoryers as we needed our floating air ports to win the war. Not all of them survived unscathed, but Japan lost nearly all of thiers before the end.

Get the RED EDGE......the IH Edge.....working for you!

Still looking for a IH 4300 Transtar Eagle Brougham Truck!! (like the one in the photo)

IH's owned past & present.......F-1206, F-806 sn# 501, CC Original # 522, CC Original(s), Spirit of 76 Cadet, 126, 1450, 1200, 1610 CADET prototype, 1250(2), 782(2), 782-Diesel(2), 982(2), 1912 & More!

See the LARGEST FREE listing of Modern IH tractor wiring diagrams on the internet (at least for now) by clicking....IH Tractor Wiring Diagrams

Visit the IH dealership I work at, Johnson Tractor (2012 Dealership of the Year) in Juda, WI......... www.johnsontractor.com

Contributing author for Red Power, Classic Farm & Tractor, Heritage Iron and Classic Tractor magazines. IH Tractor book author for Motorbooks, Voyager Press & Octane Press.......BUY A COPY & Read a book!!!
rededge.jpg

#15 Steve C.

Steve C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, '06 - '86 series Internationals, Datsun Z's, late 60's / early '70's rock, tractor pulls (preferably 6 cyl. smokers), fishing, power tools, history.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Al...I think a USS flat top in WWII would be a pretty safe place to be. They were very well protected by cruisers and destoryers as we needed our floating air ports to win the war. Not all of them survived unscathed, but Japan lost nearly all of thiers before the end.

There were so many fast carriers in the Pacific by the end of the war that statistically they were probably a relatively safe place to be by then. But still, they had wooden flight decks, hundreds of thousands of gallons of av gas and fuel oil, acres of painted surfaces, who knows how much hydraulic oil and grease, and gobs of torpedoes, bombs, and ammo for their 5 inchers and 40 mm Bofors. Lots of guys burned to a crisp whenever a kamikaze got through, which they did with some frequency. I'm glad I wasn't there at all.

A really good read is "A History of the United States Navy in World War II" by Samuel Eliot Morrision. I found the entire set in my local library years ago, and read one volume at a time.

#16 Rick G.

Rick G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts
  • Interests:IH, Farming, Aviation enthusiast, Astronomy, NFL, Country Music, Shania Twain

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Here is some interesting reading regarding the "Iowa class" batteships, which consisted of the Iowa, Missouri, New Jersey, and the Wisconsin.

Many do not know that construction had been started, but then later halted on two additional Iowa class battleships.

BB 65 was to be called the Illinois, but only made it to being approx. 25% completion before cancellation and eventual scrapping.

BB 66 was to be called the Kentucky, and it made it to approx. 75% completion before cancellation, and eventual scrapping.

Additionally, these two ships were actually intended to be yet another newer class of battleships, know as the "Montana class," and were to be named the Montana and the Ohio. But before the construction even started, it was decided to keep the hull sizes the same as the Iowa class ships, and so they started construction as Iowa class ships Illinois and Kentucky.

This link talks about how the bow of the 75% completed Kentucky actually got used at sea, as it was grafted on to the Missouri after the Missouri had become damaged by accidentally ramming another of our own ships!

Very interesting stuff. It's all here in this link:

http://en.wikipedia....lass_battleship

I once read somewhere (can't remember where) that a ship's bell had been crafted for the U.S.S. Illinois, even though the ship itself never fully came in to existence or use. That bell supposedly still exists to this day, at the University of Illinois- The Fighting Illini. I thought that I read where they use the bell at their home football games, and ring the bell when the teams scores a touchdown.
Can anyone verify this for sure? I will try to research this and report here if I find anything on this- fact or fiction.

Rick G.
Tractor owned: 1976 IH 1466 Black Stripe, Serial # 30313

#17 Rick G.

Rick G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts
  • Interests:IH, Farming, Aviation enthusiast, Astronomy, NFL, Country Music, Shania Twain

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

OK I'm back, didn't take me long to find it.

Indeed, the University of Illinois has the ship's bell, and does use the bell at their football games. I guess I wasn't imagining or dreaming that I read that some where ages ago. lol....

Here is a link that talks about it, scroll down to where the article talks about scrapping the uncompleted ship:

http://en.wikipedia....llinois_(BB-65)

I can't find anything about the ships' Bell from the U.S.S. Kentucky, even though it made it to 75% completion vs the illinois at only 25% complete. Maybe someone has the Kentucky's Bell stashed in their basement or attic??? :ph34r: Maybe it will turn up some day on one of those TV shows- American Pickers, Storage Wars, or Pawn Stars. :P

Rick G.

Attached Thumbnails

• USS_Illinois_Bell.JPG

#18 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

I spend way too much time reading and watching ww2 documentaries so it is tough for me as well to not pick apart the historical and technical inacuracies in some of these movies! Still fun to watch though!
Everybody bleeds red!

#19 Rick G.

Rick G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

Back yet again. This was bugging me so I kept diggin'. Here is what I've found. There was a WW1 battle ship named U.S.S. Kentucky, it's # was BB 6. The new WWII battleship Kentucky was going to be BB 66. The bell from the old WW1 Kentucky had been saved and was to be used aboard the new Kentucky. After the new BB 66 Kentucky was scrapped, the bell was still saved, and now it is displayed at the military museum in Frankfort, Kentucky.

Attached is a pic of it.

Rick G.

Attached Thumbnails

• U.S.S. Kentucky BB 6 Ship's Bell.jpg

Reply to this topic