The good and the bad

19 replies to this topic

#1 56series

56series

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Interests:Family, Anything IHC, Farming, and Turn Wrench for a CAT dealer.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Ok I've been looking into a newer truck. I found a F350 that is already set up the way I would like it. I have heard many different stories about the 6.4's. So if anyone has one can you give me your thoughts on it. The way I understand it, if they had a programmer, or a chip on them.....Walk away from them, is this true?

Thanks

Jason

#2 John cub owner

John cub owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

A programmer or a chip means they have turned them up to run beyond the factory specs, which usually shortens the life.

#3 Robert S

Robert S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:Well, I'm here ain't I?

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

The worst thing I've heard is that they are thirsty. A chip or program ain't necessarily an engine killer. Depends on how it's been treated. Some guys chip em and use them as necessary with good maintenance. Some take em to the drag strip and beat the wheels off of em. Try to get a feel for the seller.

#4 international3088MFD

international3088MFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Big boy toys, hopelessly addicted to diesel and horsepower, ..and IH. duh.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

ive heard they run good on programmers, 600 HP with just a tune on stock equipment. and hold together..

WEGMAN FARMS: 325 acres of corn, beans, oats and alfalfa crop rotation.
80 cow Holstein milking operation.

Tractors on the Farm: Case IH MX Magnum 200, MX Magnum 180, McCormick MTX 135, Case IH MX 110, IH 686 D312 diesel, Farmall DX55, Farmall Super M, stage II, Case 650 dozer. IH 1420 combine. Run Red

My Tractors: 1972 IH 1066, 1957 Farmall 350, 1950 Farmall H, Cub Cadet 100, Cub Cadet 682. Cub Cadet 149, 1951 Massey Harris 44, 350 V-8 conversion tractor.

SEARCHING FOR: International 966 Diesel. Serial number: 29192
Gone but not forgotten: International 3088 open station w/ Elwood MFD

012~1.gif

#5 F986

F986

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

Gas engine mileage on more expensive diesel fuel. Close sources said 8-10 mpg tops.
IH products:786, Super M, 127 Cadet, IH fridge 1949 model, 1420 Axial Flow w/810 and 963

Allis-Chalmers Products: 8050 MFD, 701 running gear
Kubota M9000, the other orange.....
White 8100 planter
Great Plains 1500 NT drill
Hardi Ranger sprayer

In the conversion stages to all no-till.

#6 puller806

puller806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:international harvester and allis chalmers diesel trucks tractor pulling and guitars

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

there not the best but they are better than the 6.0 powerjokes which just suck period. if i were you id get one of the 7.3 powerstrokes because they are better engine and i beieve that they last long imo

#7 orchard 6

orchard 6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order farming, Red tractors, my family.
    Your crops may be green, but mine are red! Proud to be an apple farmer!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

The 6.4 is a hot rod when tuned! Delete the dpf and get a tuner that will support that mod. Fuel economy will go up greatly with those mods. Yes it will cost about a grand but if you plan on keeping it awhile it will pay off in the long run. Look for milage to go from 10ish upto 16-18ish depending on driving style. I wouldn't expect a 6.4 to go a million miles like a 7.3 but 400-500k would be a reasonable expectation. Also block off or delete the egr coolers. The egr cooler is not as big of a problem on the 6.4 as it was on the 6.0 but I'm still leary of them on anything!

#8 fordcummins

fordcummins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

This is my opinion fords make a good platform for a cummins. I have an 85 F250 with an engine out of a 93 dodge and I get 22 mpg on the freeway. My plan is to convert a superduty and have a really nice truck.

#9 56series

56series

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Interests:Family, Anything IHC, Farming, and Turn Wrench for a CAT dealer.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

The 6.4 is a hot rod when tuned! Delete the dpf and get a tuner that will support that mod. Fuel economy will go up greatly with those mods. Yes it will cost about a grand but if you plan on keeping it awhile it will pay off in the long run. Look for milage to go from 10ish upto 16-18ish depending on driving style. I wouldn't expect a 6.4 to go a million miles like a 7.3 but 400-500k would be a reasonable expectation. Also block off or delete the egr coolers. The egr cooler is not as big of a problem on the 6.4 as it was on the 6.0 but I'm still leary of them on anything!

I just talked to a guy at work today that has a 2009. He has done everything you just said. An has had the same results you talked about. He is VERY happy with his choose of truck. He was a Dodge/Cummins guy for a long time too. He said with the mod's he has do it runs like a beast. Thanks

Jason

#10 Cattech

Cattech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Interests:Yellow, Red, and Green diesel tech - old and new
    Corvettes
    Sleds and ATVs
    Cub Cadets, I run a 2165 currently

in Pa's shed - IH 3788, H, '78 1460, 815 corn & soybean special, JD 4320, 3010, Case 1845C

and now, a Link Belt 4300C !@#$%^
    As if I needed another thing to fix...

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

I've been a Ford guy most of my life, but if I were in the market for a diesel P/U I think I'd buy a DuraMax - smooth, quiet, powerful, relatively reliable and efficient.
Yes, I'd prefer a Cummins, but there is no way I'd own another Chrystler product, a great engine is useless when the rest of the vehicle is falling apart around it.
As to the PowerStrokes - until this most recent Ford built one that hasn't been out long enough to prove anything good or bad, there hasn't been much good to say since the 7.3, and then you're talking about a 10+ year old truck.
With current fuel prices, if a 6.4 is only going to get 10 to 14 MPG, myself, I think I'd buy a gasser of some sort that will get 7 to 12 - the entry price will be lower & the maintenance is much cheaper. The diesels are fun, and if pulling trailers 75% of the time, are the only way to go, but $50 oil changes and $3000 for a set of injectors make it hard to justify in my mind.

Reply to this topic