2 replies to this topic

#1 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

I recently bought and installed a wiring harness for the 1456.
Never thought about it when I was ordering the harness but the tractor has regular 3 wire alternator (the one post and 2 spade type) and no regulator. Since the harness is an exact replica of the original, what do I need to do to make it charge correctly and make my amp light work right?

TIA

-FT

- You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the industrious out of it.
-You don't multiply wealth by dividing it.
- Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else.
- Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving.
- The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
-Adrian Pierce Rogers

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

"Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained"

-George Washington

#2 Bob M

Bob M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Tom - The amp warning light should be wired between the switched side of the ignition switch (the terminal is usually labelled "I" or "IGN") and the #1 spade terminal on the alternator.
'53 Super M; '53 Super H; '47 Minneapolis Moline UTU; '79 Kenworth K100 dovetail flatbed (a "work in progress"); '99 F250 diesel

#3 Matt Kirsch

Matt Kirsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

On a factory wiring harness there should be two wires that run from the front of the tractor to the rear.

One is the "L" wire to supply the light power, and the other is the "BAT" wire to charge the battery.

Hook up the BAT wire as normal to the alternator.

Use the "L" wire for your excite circuit. That's the one Bob M is talking about.

* - for anyone that read this before I made my edits, I originally thought this was for a letter series.

Reply to this topic