Zero Turn Mowers

39 replies to this topic

#31 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

This is a big market . Seems everybody is looking at ride quality now. So i would do some shopping first . I f dealers are wanting to sell you a mower they won't mind you demininstrating one . But ferra was one of the first that took the ride to the consumer . To me if you spend enough time on one you'll go for the ride and the way it cuts .

If you want a good mower and a great ride get a Ferra , they have independent suspension on all the wheels and a great seat. I know how farm lawns are and i'm sure you would be happy with it. I have a bushhog ztr. with the front mount deck and had to get a suspension seat , cause it rode so rough . My brother has a Ferra with a 60" deck and it rides 100% better than my bushhog at low speed . They are also built with alot of quality.

John, Would the mower you are talking about be a FERRIS ?

I know what you mean about the ride on zero turn. In the 60's and 70's was around and sold a lot of Lawn Tractors. Lost track after my 31 year stint at Auto Dealership. In 2004 when I came back to Case/IH Dealer , they said "want to mow the lot?" . I said probably can't run a Z-Turn. I decided to try and liked everything but the ride. Of course the machinery lot was much rougher than most lawns but soon figured out that fast mowing speed and all would mean a rough ride.This 71 year old back wouldn't stand riding one all day . But the quickness and trim ability was great. Would have to have all suspension, best seat, etc. if I bought one. Bill

JOHN E . GROTT

#32 H-D

H-D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, motorcycles (mostly Harley-Davidson) red tractors (some green too), old cars (1929 Model A original drivable) and good friends, (J) and BBQ etc.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

If the ride quality of your mower is this important, then your yard is too big! :P

#33 hillskinefarms

hillskinefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Interests:MY LORD,MY FAMILY, ANYTHING IH

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

How about a Cub with a 60" belly mower? That's what I mow with and I really like it, of course I'm partial to olderIH stuff! By the way, mine's at the restorer now- hope to have some pictures soon. ^_^

We traded a Cub 185 Low Boy with a 60" deck for our Cub Cadet 3660 ZTR with a 60" deck and what took 4 hours to mow with the 185 takes a little over an hour with the 3660.

Sure, but think of all the fun you are missing out on! :D

#34 redgreen

redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • Interests:Are you kidding?
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

How about a Cub with a 60" belly mower? That's what I mow with and I really like it, of course I'm partial to olderIH stuff! By the way, mine's at the restorer now- hope to have some pictures soon. ^_^

DCP_3777crunch.JPG

Works for me!
And there is no better ride to be had than a 3000 lb tractor with turf tires! :P
Photo is model "B" Jawn Deere in charge of an 84" Woods rear-discharge finish mower.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#35 hillskinefarms

hillskinefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

DCP_3777crunch.JPG

Works for me!
And there is no better ride to be had then a 3000 lb tractor with turf tires! :P
Photo is model "B" Jawn Deere in charge of an 84" Woods rear-discharge finish mower.

I'd take that over a new mower anyday, but would prefer a red tractor out front!

#36 Mr. Brookville

Mr. Brookville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

I may be wrong but I think my zero turn has more horsepower than that JD B... :-)

#37 tool maker

tool maker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:factory muscle tractors, fine tweeking, quality, pro stock engines, beer,

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

IM gonna chime in here and say that the best bang for your buck is a ( BAD BOY OUTLAW) " it'll hurt you before you hurt it" ...we sell them 10 to 1 out of any other mower but we also carry Bush Hog, Ferris, Dixe Chopper,Husqvarna, and Dixon.

isand i will personally say the BUSH HOG 2010 ---current model PZ 3061 is about the grass eatnist SOB I've ever ran. And it's a kissin cousin to a ferris as far as ride goes :ph34r: for about $4000.00 less B) B) B)
there is no such thing as a junk tractor unless it was melted down and turned into a rice burner

We don't restore tractors, we remanufacture them. "Quality" is far beyond a few gallons of paint and a couple new gauges

CHECK US OUT AT KRUEGERPARTS.COM

TRACTORS...... FARMALL/IH.. A--SMDTA--560--656HYDRO--1206--1066--706--1026--and the profarm ?unnamed
OLIVER...70--super77--super88d--770--880--1850--1950T--1955--2-105
JOHN DEERE...waterlooboy R-- BR--AR--G--70D--4010--4520--4620--4955--8400
ford funk V8

#38 redgreen

redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

I'd take that over a new mower anyday, but would prefer a red tractor out front!

DCP_3985.JPG

Any way you like! :P
That's the nice part about a 3-point mower, it's easy to trade 'power units' as needed! The 'H' will do better than the JD 'B' in excessively tall grass and if that ain't enough I get the "M" out!
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#39 redgreen

redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I may be wrong but I think my zero turn has more horsepower than that JD B... :-)

No contest! This vintage of "B" is only rated at 18 HP but it has a mountain of torque. Enough to pull the combined total weight of 2 tons at 3 mph while cutting 84" of 7-day growth Kentucky bluegrass! Of course the Zero-Turn will whip right around those trees in the yard that I need to leave about a 1/2 acre around! :o

Posted Image

#40 hillskinefarms

hillskinefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

DCP_3985.JPG

Any way you like! :P
That's the nice part about a 3-point mower, it's easy to trade 'power units' as needed! The 'H' will do better than the JD 'B' in excessively tall grass and if that ain't enough I get the "M" out!

Now that's more like it! :wub:

Reply to this topic