Photo

Replacing engine rings on a 108, advice please!

1 reply to this topic

#1 Denis

Denis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:My tractors: Regular, M, M (Perkins P4-270 convertion), Cub, A, B, Cub Cadet 108, John Deere AOS #1083, 1939 MM U & lots of toys. Loadstar 1600. International U4 power unit.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

My Cub Cadet 108 fitted with a Kohler K241 engine is needing a set of rings. The engine is breathing oil smoke from the oil breather and it uses a bit of oil. As far as I know the engine has never been open before. As there are no other problems do you think that I could just fit a new set of rings to the engine. Or do I need do more? The engine starts easily and runs with good power so I am presuming that a worn or broken oil ring may be the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Denis.
My tractors: Regular, M (Perkins P4-270 convertion), Cub, A, B, Cub Cadet 108, International U4 power unit, 1964 IH Loadstar 1600, 1939 MM U & lots of toys.

#2 Merk

Merk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Odds are your 108 will more than just a set of rings, The engine needs to disassembled and the cylinder bore needs check.
The cylinder will need bored at least .010. The crank may need turned .010 under. The valve guides may need replaced.

Cost to rebuild is $350 to $600 depending on how much you can do.

I rebuild 3-6 K series engines a year. These are the problems I see when I rebuild a engine for someone.

Dale Merkle

President Ohio Chapter 6

www.ihc-oh6.com

Reply to this topic