Utility 300 or 350??

12 replies to this topic

#1 Stevewatr

Stevewatr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Well the head is off at the machine shop, awaiting it's turn in the jet cleaner, and bake oven. I oredered new intake valves, all new springs, and new guides. Decided to pull the pistons to better inspect them, and ran into a few snags.

First, I have been assuming thus tractor is a 300 utility, and thought it had a C169 motor. turns out it is a C175 motor. It is stamped right onto the block. So then I questioned if it might not be a 350 utility, then I found info that suggests they may have used C175 in the 300 near the end of the run. I had already ordered the valves, guides, and springs before realixing my error. Was mad at first, but then found the C169 and 175 share the same head.
Problem now is to figure out exactly what piston/cylinder this motor uses. I found on the IH site they list only one number for the C175, but when crossing to a Clevite/Mahle number, they list 2 differant ones based on serial #.
The tops of the pistons I have are the "firecrater" style, but I think the differance might be in the wrist pin diameter.
Went to pull the oil pan, and get this, it won't clear the large support arm that comes from the front axle towards the rear.
Do I actually have to remove the front axle assembly to get the oil pan off??
Here is another weird thing. What I can see for serial numbers does not coincide with what the online parts manual says I should be seeing.
The manual states all 300u engine serial numbers start with 9501 with a c169 prefix, and 350u engine numbers start with a 501, and a c175 prefix. My engine serial number appears to be 3615?2, the ? looks like either a 5 or a 6. This number is stamped into the block in a flat area just above where it is embossed C-175. Also below where the firing order is embossed, there are numbers seperated by little screw heads *3*17*0*.
The tractor serial # on a tag on the clutch housing is also not making much sense to me.
The parts manual says the chassis serial numbers for both the 300 and 350 should start with 501, but mine appears to be 18267, then a long space followed by a letter R. The suffix codes in the manual say the R would designate a tractor with Torque amplifier attachment, and if mine has a TA, great, but why is it missing the lever?

#2 DWV

DWV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Think you have a 300 with a replacement block. Thats the casting number for the block instead of the serial #. If its stamped in the replacement block the cast # was probably ground off and the number you see stamped in its place. If its a replacement it may not have a serial number on the block. There's a serial break on 300 engines and after it a connecting rod was used with a smaller end for the piston pin, also used in all 350 engines. If you have firecrater pistons you already have the small pin rod or rods with adapter bushings to fit small pin pistons. Think a 300 with your serial would be built with a small piston pin rod engine. Someone removed the t/a linkages and maybe internal parts also or changed.
Also if thats a 3-17-D date code instead of a O you could have a real late I-350. Don't know why the block casting number is stamped in though. Look above the valve lifter side cover on the engine for a small raised flat spot with a engine serial # stamped in. If its a late 350 engine the serial # should be around 28000. Dave

#3 Stevewatr

Stevewatr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Think you have a 300 with a replacement block. Thats the casting number for the block instead of the serial #. If its stamped in the replacement block cast # was probably ground off and the number you see stamped in its place. If its a replacement it may not have a serial number on the block. There's a serial break on 300 engines and after it a connecting rod was used with a smaller end for the piston pin, also used in all 350 engines. If you have firecrater pistons you already have the small pin rod or rods with adapter bushings to fit small pin pistons. Think a 300 with your serial would be built with a small piston pin rod engine. Someone removed the t/a linkages and maybe internal parts also or changed.
Also if thats a 3-17-C date code instead of a O you could have a real late I-350. Don't know why the block casting number is stamped in though. Look above the valve lifter side cover on the engine for a small raised flat spot with a engine serial # stamped in. If its a late 350 engine the serial # should be around 28000. Dave

I have a video clip showing the exact location I found those numbers on the block. I don't know if I should be happy, or worried about that TA question. I'll go back out and clean up those numbers a bit and try to be definitive on the digits. Thanks for the info. here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujnNdKgvi8&feature=youtu.be

#4 DWV

DWV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

See the engine serial number stamped in the square to the right of finger in the picture. Looks to be 2????. Also I made a mistake in the other post. Wanted to say if 3-17-D for a date code instead of 3-17-C. Going by the date code on the transmission housing that was cast in the last month of 1957, it looks like you have a 1958 model 350U. Dave

#5 Stevewatr

Stevewatr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

See the engine serial number stamped in the square to the right of finger in the picture. Looks to be 2????. Also I made a mistake in the other post. Wanted to say if 3-17-D for a date code instead of 3-17-C. Going by the date code on the transmission housing that was cast in the last month of 1957, it looks like you have a 1958 model 350U. Dave

Hi dave, Thanks for helping me figure this out. That 2 to the right of my finger is near the end of the numbers stamped there. It looked like 361552. The tractor serial number appears to be a 18267R. A guy commented on my utube video, and said although the 300 used both the 169 and 175 motor, the serial numbers for the 300 only went up to 15000, so the 18000+ number on mine makes it a 350. Does that sound right to you??

Steve W.

#6 DWV

DWV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Steve the number stamped above the C175 on your engine block is raised cast letters like the C175 is on most blocks. Thats the block casting #. Can see the cast numbers were ground off and hand stamped on yours for some reason. Sometimes because its a replacement block, but that may not be the case for your tractor. If you gave the engine serial # I missed it? In the picture that first showes in your post I can see the engine serial numbers stamped forward of the C175. Looks like it starts 25???. If thats correct thats another mystery for a I 350 tractor with a serial # of 18267 the engine serial # should be higher than 27860. Some lists only show a I 350 going to 17000 something, but think the last one was serial 18346.
You have the wrong info on a I 300 as they went way up to serial # 33664.
Its possible to have a tractor put togeather from different tractors. Can you find a date code on the housing tractor serial plate is on? Dave

#7 Stevewatr

Stevewatr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Steve the number stamped above the C175 on your engine block is raised cast letters like the C175 is on most blocks. Thats the block casting #. Can see the cast numbers were ground off and hand stamped on yours for some reason. Sometimes because its a replacement block, but that may not be the case for your tractor. If you gave the engine serial # I missed it? In the picture that first showes in your post I can see the engine serial numbers stamped forward of the C175. Looks like it starts 25???. If thats correct thats another mystery for a I 350 tractor with a serial # of 18267 the engine serial # should be higher than 27860. Some lists only show a I 350 going to 17000 something, but think the last one was serial 18346.
You have the wrong info on a I 300 as they went way up to serial # 33664.
Its possible to have a tractor put togeather from different tractors. Can you find a date code on the housing tractor serial plate is on? Dave

I can't belive I missed that number completely, it's partially covered by grease/dirt. I was focusing in on that number stamped above the C175 that i missed it. I'll get that number ASAP. Pulled the oil pan today, and pulled rod cap #2, and the crank journal shows scoring...........Argh!

#8 Stevewatr

Stevewatr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

In the picture that first showes in your post I can see the engine serial numbers stamped forward of the C175. Looks like it starts 25???. If thats correct thats another mystery for a I 350 tractor with a serial # of 18267 the engine serial # should be higher than 27860. Can you find a date code on the housing tractor serial plate is on? Dave

Good news! I cleaned off the dirt on the engine serial number, looks like it is 28808 (higher than 27860), and the tractor number is 18267R, so I guess it is a 350U, correct? I attached some pics of other casting numbers I found on it.
DSC05487.JPG DSC05492.JPG DSC05493.JPG DSC05495.JPG DSC05498.JPG DSC05499.JPG DSC05500.JPG

#9 DWV

DWV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Man you are a long way from a 300. Yes its a 1958 model 350 made in the last month of production. Think 18346 was the last one made. Good luck, Dave.

#10 Stevewatr

Stevewatr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Man you are a long way from a 300. Yes its a 1958 model 350 made in the last month of production. Think 18346 was the last one made. Good luck, Dave.

Thanks Dave, you made my night. I feel better about sinking some money into it now that I know it is a 350 with a nice little serial number range. I was always told the first and last numbers in a series were more desireable as a collectible. Not that that's what I bought it for. Guess when I split the tractor, I'll find out if there is a TA still in there :)

Steve W.

Reply to this topic