BD 240 engine

7 replies to this topic

#1 hugh

hugh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

In the application for a truck from the early '60s would a BD 240 have an updraft or downdraft carburetor? My Hough loader is supposed to have a C263 engine, which has been replaced with the BD240. Currently the loader has a downdraft carb with an accelerator pump, I'm guessing from the early '60s truck.

A couple questions...
Why would the truck need an accelerator pump, but the loader doesnt?
Suppose when the BD240 got put into the loader that no governor was included?

The original C-263 would have had a updraft carb like a tractor according to the loader manual I have. I think the manifold I have has simply been turned upside down to accomodate the carb.
Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

I had a 1960 B100 with the BD240 that I rebuilt way back in 1969. Some good things you never forget!!
Slant valve engine with domed pistons, everyone who saw the short block thought it was a high compression engine. Carb was a normal down draft 1 barrel.
Truck would have no governor but if it did it would have been a disrtributer vacuum control for a diaphram controlled carb. All the gas IH engines used that setup.
Believe all holley parts.
I would think the torquey BD slant valve headed engine would be plenty of power for most loaders.
My B100 with a 3 speed never suffered fo power unless you expected to cruise at 75 or 80 MPH.

#3 hugh

hugh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Lets see if I read correctly...
The carb I have is a downdraft so it probably came off the truck.
The distributor I have doesnt have any vacuum lines or other "foreign" stuff. This could mean no governor or its been disabled.

If there is no governor how high of RPMs might this engine turn? Do you think the acc pump carb would work better on this engine than an original style updraft carb like a tractor would have?
I have a line on an engine out of an International 101 combine with an updraft carb. Would this be a BD engine as well?

Thanks for the info oleman. It sounds like the 240 will work good in the Hough 30B.
Hough H-30 payloader.jpg

#4 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

The engine out of the 101 combine will be a BD220. The governor, manifold , and carb should all work on the BD240 though the venturi may be smaller in the carburetor.

#5 bedrock

bedrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:been Intternational nut since 1975, own/owned at least 30 IHC trucks

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

trucks had downdraft carbs, some metros had updraft carb,

a 220 manifold will bolt up to a 240 head though the ports in the 220 mainfold are smaller, you have to remove the locator rings out of the head. and carb MAY be different size, IHC used different size setups depending on application.

trucks all had vacumn advance, except earlier BLD motors, so your is probably a stationary engine, IHC was used in big welders, compressors, etc.

the 220 exhaust manifold can have different size exhaust too, I've had 220 motors with 1 1/2" exhaust & 2" exhaust, depends on application,

one thing I know for sure, nothing is standard when it's a International

#6 mikem

mikem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts
  • Location:N.E. South Dakota (half way between Henry and Raymond)

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have an A-160 truck sitting in the yard that has a 2 barrel down draft Holley carb.
I'm thinking this may be a BD264???
Mike

#7 hugh

hugh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Mike, The engine numbers are stamped into the block just behind the upper water neck on the right side of the engine. I checked and verified there is no vacuum advance on my distributor. Suppose its possible to use the distributor from the C263 in the BD240?

#8 bedrock

bedrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:been Intternational nut since 1975, own/owned at least 30 IHC trucks

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

you can easily swap out the distributer to a vacumn one, best if you roll it to TDC on No.1 cylinder to ease retiming,

need a vacumn port on the carb, probably a capped one on yours hopefully,

my 1948 KB-6 has a BLD-250 with a 2 barrel carb/manifold, not stock, someone changed out a long time ago. don't know what it came off of, but it is cornbinder,

there are dual carb manifolds around, but they are all for big engines, Red Diamond, be nice to find one to fit a SD or BD engine

Reply to this topic