8 replies to this topic

#1 MARCOPOLO

MARCOPOLO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hello All,
My name is Marco Olivo, and I'm new to this site. A neighbor of mine rebuilt a 1946 Farmall H & sold it to me about 8 years ago. Last year this neighbor divorced his wife and moved out of state. I had always planned on learning how to work on my tractor, but never really did because a.) I never had any issues & b.) my expert tractor mechanic neighbor was always around if I needed help. Now that he's gone, my tractor won't work & I'm in a jam. I suspect my problem is with the fuel system, perhaps the carburetor. The tractor was putting out black smoke, and then cut out & wouldn't start anymore. That was in the fall, and I've waited until spring because I was too busy at work to mess with the tractor, and I don't have a shop so I have to work outdoors. Now the time has come to get busy on my H, and I am very excited. I don't know much about mechanics, so things are pretty scary. I have the service manual & owners manual & a few books on tractor restoration. Other than that, I'm on my own... So my question is where do I begin ? I do know a guy that has some experience working on tractors, but he's been laid up with physical problems, and he may not be able to do much. He told me to purchase a carburetor kit. We both think the problem is in the fuel system, but we haven't really begun troubleshooting. I still won't have any "free" time for a couple weeks, but I want to get ready. Looking for some friendly, practical advice. Thanks in advance.
Marco Olivo
Berthoud, Colorado

#2 redgreen

redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • Interests:Are you kidding?
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Welcome aboard!

Black smoke means the engine is trying to burn excess fuel. If the choke were left on this is how a gas engine will act. Other causes include the float in the carburetor may be stuck in the open position or the fuel level too high. It would not be impossible for the float to temporarily flood the engine and then work properly after awhile. Fresh fuel and regular use are your friends when it comes to old fuel systems on antique tractors! The carb kit might be a good investment in the long term.

The 'rich' fuel condition likes to foul spark plugs so that is a good place to begin if the engine will not start with fresh fuel in the tank and carburetor bowel. There is a thumb screw on the carburetor of your "H" to drain the bowel, your manuals may illustrate this.

You will get more ideas from members soon.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#3 Matt Kirsch

Matt Kirsch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Black smoke, then quit = flooded.

Probably a stuck float.

Happened to Dad's W400 when we were plowing a couple years ago. Quit, and gas pouring out of the carb. Dragged it home on a chain. The rough ride must've knocked the float loose again, because by the time we got home it would start and ran fine.

#4 Red Kiwi

Red Kiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:The Great Outdoors, Vintage Machinery restoration,especially Farmall IH and Briggs & Stratton. Roamin' in the motorhome.....

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

I agree with redgreen. It's obviously over fueling. It also could be a simple thing like a stuck needle valve. (A sharp rap on the carbie with fuel in the tank and in the carbie sometimes will cure it.
Posted Image
1948 W6
1945 M
1940 A
1950 Super A
1947 Cub
1955 FC-C
1960 Inter. B414
3 furrow No.8 'Little Genius'
3 furrow Z141 Inter.
McCormick-Deering A16 mower
B46 Inter. Baler
1967 203 Inter.Combine
20 B&S engines

#5 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

I agree with redgreen. It's obviously over fueling. It also could be a simple thing like a stuck needle valve. (A sharp rap on the carbie with fuel in the tank and in the carbie sometimes will cure it.

Just bear in mind that the carb is somewhat fragile if you get too nuts hitting with too large of a hammer. You wanna tap on the lower "bowl" portion on the bottom. Welcome!
Everybody bleeds red!

#6 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

Just bear in mind that the carb is somewhat fragile if you get too nuts hitting with too large of a hammer. You wanna tap on the lower "bowl" portion on the bottom. Welcome!

I usually tap it with the wooden handle of the hammer NOT the metal end.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#7 busman7

busman7

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Old tractors, buses, trucks, trains & travel

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Tap it with the wrench you're going to take it off with, might just scare it into starting. :)
When they added Case to IH, I switched from Red to Belarus Orange

Retired - sold - toys -

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." Mark Twain

http://wwwlasbrisasp...go.blogspot.com

#8 rsscott

rsscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Police pistol competition, audio video church work, all IH. Own two Blsck Stripe 1066 and awaiting the right 5488 MFD to come along. Also, want to own a Hydro as part of my collection.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Just worked on a 3688 and it would not run.. So obvious that I missed it, but the air filter was completely stopped up.. Smoked like a coal engine and kept cutting off. Not my tractor and I just could not imagine anyone running it in the ground like this. It was so bad that it ruined the oil and it had to be changed.

#9 Red Kiwi

Red Kiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:The Great Outdoors, Vintage Machinery restoration,especially Farmall IH and Briggs & Stratton. Roamin' in the motorhome.....

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I did say a sharp 'rap, not run amok with a hammer. I use a 10" crescent.( I was always doing it to 2 of my A's, the other A was as good as gold).
Posted Image
1948 W6
1945 M
1940 A
1950 Super A
1947 Cub
1955 FC-C
1960 Inter. B414
3 furrow No.8 'Little Genius'
3 furrow Z141 Inter.
McCormick-Deering A16 mower
B46 Inter. Baler