88 series electrical issues

3 replies to this topic

#1 MIsparky

MIsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Farming, hunting, and motorsports.. and sharing them with my kids. I have recently started farming on my own, and in the process rejuvenating my family's farm.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum(I'm over at agtalk plenty). I just picked up a 5488 with 6200 hrs,and while it is a little rougher than I like the price was in my budget. I bought it knowing the batteries were shot, without knowing the underlying cause. Armed with a brand new set of 1050 CCA batteries I went trouble shooting.... ultimatly on my first go I found that one of the main power terminal mounting screws was threaded right into the backside of the right side battery cable at the main termination, effectivly shorting the positive to the cab frame... I thought problem solved... not so fast. I went to start it today, 5 days after the new batteries and found it dead as a door nail. Other than putting in the time chasing this down is there somthing on these tractors that would/could fail that would be a first item to check out? I am a electrician by trade so I have a pretty good handle on troubleshooting... just wondered if there was a shortcut to a item that commonly fails. Thanks
my stable includes a '59 460, '80 3588, '82 5488, & '87 1680

#2 88seriesrestorer

88seriesrestorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the 5x88's

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

check the alternator thtey can short and draw on battery. Move the sentry wire from the left battery to the switched side of cab solenoid. Check battery cables make sure they are not slighlty rubbed through.

Mike
Visit my website: www.triplertractors.com

Send Me An Email : trick26@frontiernet.net or 618-795-3950

#3 MIsparky

MIsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Farming, hunting, and motorsports.. and sharing them with my kids. I have recently started farming on my own, and in the process rejuvenating my family's farm.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thank you, first thing I checked was alternator .... constant hot into voltage regulator shorted to ground. Problem solved
my stable includes a '59 460, '80 3588, '82 5488, & '87 1680

#4 88seriesrestorer

88seriesrestorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the 5x88's

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

your welcome

Mike
Visit my website: www.triplertractors.com