11 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

I have a 1066 with a couple issues. I don't believe the TA/MCV is behaving properly. The lube pressure light does not come on when the clutch is pushed. I have the dump valve adjusted as per the book. The only time I see the light on is before its started and about 5 seconds after its started. It hangs in gear some as well. When i put the plows in the ground, I can tell something is slipping. I cant tell if its the TA or main clutch. Running the tractor without a heavy seaward load, it does not slip. This tractor is new to us as I bought it with damage after a small electrical fire. I just got it running again so I don't know much history. TIA!
Crop farming in Western PA with a C, Super C, H, Super M, 656D, 686, 5240.

#2 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,303 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

First check inside the clutch housing for oil. If any engine or transmission oil gets on the engine clutch it will slip and make TA diagnosis more difficult.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#3 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I took the inspection cover off and checked. Its what I would call damp with oil inside. There was not a puddle on the plate nor does it make a puddle on the floor from sitting. Although I suppose it wouldn't take much to make the clutch slip under heavy load.

#4 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Far as the light not coming on, you need to put a gauge in that spot where sender goes to see what you actually have. Pressure should be about 20psi and should drop to zero when you put clutch in or just manually pull out the dump valve. It may only be a slow to operate sending unit, but it may actually have pressure with dump valve pulled. I have only seen this one time in my life and it was a badly scored up regulator valve that was letting enough oil into lube circuit so pressure would drop way down when dump valve was pulled out but not to zero. That is a four psi switch so doesn't take much to keep it closed.

#5 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Far as the light not coming on, you need to put a gauge in that spot where sender goes to see what you actually have. Pressure should be about 20psi and should drop to zero when you put clutch in or just manually pull out the dump valve. It may only be a slow to operate sending unit, but it may actually have pressure with dump valve pulled. I have only seen this one time in my life and it was a badly scored up regulator valve that was letting enough oil into lube circuit so pressure would drop way down when dump valve was pulled out but not to zero. That is a four psi switch so doesn't take much to keep it closed.

I ran into the same problem a couple of times. I ended up using an engine oil pressure sender that was rated for 7 psi to replace the original 4 psi sender..

#6 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Could having the oil cooler lines on backwards cause any of this? They were ruined in the fire and I had to try figuring them out using the parts diagram. I'm not 100% sure I got them right.

#7 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm sure that there are a lot of tractors out there that have had the cooler lines reversed. The oil going through the oil cooler is already out of the circuit for the TA controls. There are three gallons per minute of oil that has priority for the steering and then the brakes and TA. The oil that is in excess of this 3 gpm is what flows through the oil cooler.

#8 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Today I installed a gauge in the port for the tellite sensor. With the engine running it shows 20-21 psi. When either the clutch is depressed or the dump valve is operated by hand, the pressure drops to about 6-7 psi. Does this indicate anything? I would like to test the mcv as per the manual but I don't have the fitting for the regulator port on hand.

#9 FarmerFixEmUp

FarmerFixEmUp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle and ATV riding, drag racing.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

The pressure should drop to 0 when you pull the valve out or step in the clutch. Does the light come on or the gauge go to 0 with the engine shut off? If it does you may have a scored dump valve or a bad gasket or oring in the mcv.
Farming and Fixing, I fix and farm with red stuff, mostly. Usable tractors are 5288, 1466, 1066, 1206, 826, 806, 756, 656, 800 and 950 planters, 4800 field cultivator, plus other misc, and a yellow TR combine. Also an S1700 grain truck. Also a fun '71 Chevelle! And a '40 M to restore when I get time! 966 M&W turbo.

#10 Dr.656

Dr.656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Yes the gauge goes to zero when the engine is shut down.

Reply to this topic