8 replies to this topic

#1 tractorshark

tractorshark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

We are wanting to move the wheels on the new to us 7140 and can't get the wedge to release on one of the wheels. Have tried many things with no luck, haven't used heat, and was wondering if that is ok or not? One side went real easy, but one just won't break free. We even put a dual hub on and used two jacks to apply more pressure to the wheel with no luck, just wondering what some of you have had work? As always thanks.

Mark
Tractors in our shed: Fendt 924, JD8100, 7240 Magnum, 7220 Magnum, 7140 Magnum, JD7405, 3488, 986, 966, 666, JD4600

#2 756puller

756puller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

get a good 1/2 or 3/4 impact and just keep buzzing the wedge bolts in and out takes a while at times but it will work

#3 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

This has been a good subject a few times . Lots of suggestions but more of them said to take a heavy sledge hammer and hit the end of the axle. Ive never done this so i don't now . Just that it won out over most other posts .
JOHN E . GROTT

#4 IHC_1470

IHC_1470

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

I assume you have the clamp that goes around the wedge lock for it to back out and hit against? Usually one side will break loose with out much problem but it can be challanging sometimes to break loose the other half. I have a few times when nothing else worked, break loose the one half and then go for a short drive making many turns left and right. Has never failed to break loose doing that. Trick is not so back the wedge out so far that it really becomes so loose as to mess up the key ways when it does loosen up. I would try that before the big hammer as it is much easier on the axle bearings. If a tractor will not move then the big hammer does come into play but it sounds like you are just wanting to move a wheel. Good luck. Dennis

#5 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

get a good 1/2 or 3/4 impact and just keep buzzing the wedge bolts in and out takes a while at times but it will work

Yup, gotta be a real strong 1/2" impact to have a chance with a stuck wedge.

This has been a good subject a few times . Lots of suggestions but more of them said to take a heavy sledge hammer and hit the end of the axle. Ive never done this so i don't now . Just that it won out over most other posts .

Not a good idea to hit the axle on the end. Too much chance of damaging the bearings. Hitting down on the axle can help shock the wheel loose.

I assume you have the clamp that goes around the wedge lock for it to back out and hit against? Usually one side will break loose with out much problem but it can be challanging sometimes to break loose the other half. I have a few times when nothing else worked, break loose the one half and then go for a short drive making many turns left and right. Has never failed to break loose doing that. Trick is not so back the wedge out so far that it really becomes so loose as to mess up the key ways when it does loosen up. I would try that before the big hammer as it is much easier on the axle bearings. If a tractor will not move then the big hammer does come into play but it sounds like you are just wanting to move a wheel. Good luck. Dennis

Magnums use a one piece conical wedge with three forcing screws through the flange to push on the wheel hub.
No horseshoes are used here.

Driving the tractor with pressure on the forcing screws might help.

Cutting the wedge with a torch might be necessary. Be sure and put a guard over the axle seal to protect it from the cutting slag and heat.

I've had good luck with 3/4 or 1 inch impact on one of the screws and using a loooong breaker bar on another forcing screw at the same time. Rotate around the screws to increase tension evenly.

There is a good chance that the forcing screw ends will be swaged when you're done getting the wheel loose.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#6 Dirtboyz07

Dirtboyz07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts
  • Interests:5388 (replica prototype) from 1984 , 1976 1086 (first built)1975 1566 cab (all original) 1974 1566 open station,( improved farm, pulling tractor) 1971 1066 narrow front open station,1970 1456 gold demo.1970 1456 narrow front,1984 1420 Combine 1981 782 Cub Cadet 2005 DX24 Case International Compact Tractor

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:29 AM

Sledge hammer , safety glass's and start pounding on the outer end of the axel. Like the other guys said 3/4 or 1" drive impact , after it comes loose put never seize on the wedge so the next poor guy can get it loose !!!!

Danny
[size=2] '84 5388 (replica prototype), '05 International CXT (Former International Show Truck), '75 1566, '71 1066 (narrow front open station), '84 1420, '81 782 Cub Cadet[/size]

#7 FarmallTom

FarmallTom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

I know that the clamp setup is different but I just went through this the other day on the 1456.
One side of the wedge finally released but the other was stubborn. I tried my impact and finally had a 3/4 drive breaker bar with cheater pipe on it.
Once I had cranked it as far as I could with the cheater, I took a 5 lb hammer and gave it a good whack on the top of the axle end.
Bang! The whole wheel jumped as the wedge finally released....

Hope you get it broke loose!

-FT

- You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the industrious out of it.
-You don't multiply wealth by dividing it.
- Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else.
- Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving.
- The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
-Adrian Pierce Rogers

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
-Winston Churchill

"Since we ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven, can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained"

-George Washington

#8 Devon W.

Devon W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:DEVONS TRACTOR PARTS,
    1928 Regular, 1941 H, Super M, , 504, 560,
    1 1/2 2 1/2 LA LB engine, UD16 Power unit

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

Danny with the safty glasses you forgot the ear plugs for when it gives up.

#9 SMOKER 1

SMOKER 1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • Interests:IH & Farmall Tractors & Equipment

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

I have a large industrial gear puller. I put a piece of plywood against the wall, tighten it up, and stand back and hit the top of the axle. This has never failed but DO NOT stand in front of it. It will come off like a rocket ship and the plywood keeps it from putting a gaping hole in the shed wall. Like Danny said, never sieze it to the max before you put it back and it will be a breeze for the next time.

jerry

FOREVER RED: I 706, 766G, Super WD9 w/factory hand clutch, 2 Lousville Super Ms hooked in a tandem, 49 M, Original 656 D with 2250 loader, 130, 140 w/ One Arm Loader, 1026 Gold Demo (belongs to Smoker 2), Original Low Houred 3688 w/2355 loader, 1256, Original 766D  w/2350 loader, Original 666D w/2250 loader, 2 CC Originals, 682 w/#2 trailer,  Prototype 800 Planter, 1979 Scout II Rallye, and sheds full of CIH & NH equipment. + MM G1000 Wheatland Propane & M&W P-2000 Dyno. Favorite colors:  The workers:  NH Genesis 8870, T8.330, 7130, Farmall 95 w/ 730 loader.  I love tractors!!!!!  RED, BLUE & PRAIRIE GOLD.

Reply to this topic