Photo

How many of you run a disc mower with an open station tractor?

Does it ever throw rocks?

35 replies to this topic

#1 PJB

PJB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

We would like to get a disc mower - three point mount. However, we don't have a cab tractor freed up when we need to mow hay and waterways. We have been nervous about it throwing up rocks and debris and hitting the operator. I noticed in Cliff Neubauer's pictures that they pull a discbine with an open station 5140. Does anyone else use an open station tractor and what kind of experience have you had with it throwing rocks and debris at the operator? Thanks for any information you can provide. (And yes, I know this would be an excellent excuse to get another cab tractor - it's just hard to convince my wife of that!) Paul

#2 ohio farmer

ohio farmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Farming and anything related to it.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Our mower is covered with a think, canvas that protects the operator from flying debris.
Without that, I would think you would be getting hit with all kinds of stuff.
They are really nice mowers.

Mark Adams, Van Wert, Ohio

#3 H-D

H-D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, motorcycles (mostly Harley-Davidson) red tractors (some green too), old cars (1929 Model A original drivable) and good friends, (J) and BBQ etc.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Have run a disc mower for many years with an open tractor and you must have a good canvas on the mower because they will throw "stuff" . I will agree that a cab tractor would be best in the long run and would use the item of safety as a good reason to have a cab tractor on the mower.

#4 brewcrew

brewcrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

I've never had a cab tractor to use on the discbine, just used an 806 open station. Never been hit by anything, ever. That being said, if you were doing, say, roadside ditches and scrub areas, you may hit more stuff and it would be a bigger issue. I've had rocks plink against the hood and the flap, but they do their job and stop things.

#5 Long Farms

Long Farms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I"ve always run a 3pt mounted disc mower on an openstation tractor. It sucks if you hit a red ant bed but other than that the canvas keeps most deris from kicking up. I prefer to run a disc mower on an open frame so I can hear the mower run better and I like to hear the engine run. If it does become a pronlem and kicks up too much deris towrd the operator. I've seen numerous ways farmer/ranchers have made a screen to mount on the right fender. Ive also seen rocks bust out windows on a cab tractor too.

Posted Image

1975 IH 1066 Black Stripe
1970 IH 1456

1970 IH 1456 Gold Demo

1970 IH 1456 Gold Demo T/A Delete
1969 IH 826 Gold Demo

1965 IH 1206
Farmall Cub

IH 303 Combine

#6 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Will I need a stone shield if I say that is a nice looking 3020?

#7 234-IA

234-IA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I bought a pull-type NH discbine last year and ran it with my 1256 (seen to the left) and lived to tell the tale. i pretty much know where the rocks are in the fields and tilted the head back a bit to keep from catching them. a cab would be preferable, though, and i agree that a good canvas is a must.

looks like a 4020 to me? nice looking tractor indeed

#8 Art From DeLeon

Art From DeLeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts
  • Location:De Leon, Texas (Raised between Dunlap and Soldier, Iowa)

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

I stand corrected (But I could have blamed former President Bush)

#9 56series

56series

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Interests:Family, Anything IHC, Farming, and Turn Wrench for a CAT dealer.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

I have ran a discbined for 4 years now with out any problems. I highly AGREE that a good canvas is a MUST. Plus if your canvas isn't any good, it will allow the air from the disc's to blow the hay over before it mows it! That sounds dumb but I have seen it in person, with the neighbors machine. And I have noticed when mowing a 4th, or 5th cutting if the stand isn't very tall, that it will not mow as nice too.

My 2 cents
Jason

#10 TroyDairy

TroyDairy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Family, Dairy, Red tractors and stuff

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

We mower for 20 years with a Vicon 8' mower/conditioned with our 684. We have rocky land and lot of moles to make sure the rocks stay above ground. Been hit 100s of times. A few bloody ones but no serious injuries. When we would cut the top rockier feilds we would where a sweatshirt with the hood up and just periphially glimpse back at the machine. After you get hit in the temple a few times you get smart about how much you show your face to that machine gun. The canvas was always kept in top conditon and replaced when holey. Still threw them buggers though. Now we have 2 Hesston center pivot m/cs and mow with cab tractors. I have 7' wide plexiglass rock shield mounted to the rear fender to cab mounts on both the MX170 and MC135 McC. Need new 'glass' for the shields about every 3 years. They work well and dont get in the way and are light enough you can one man them on and off.

What, there is another color tractor besides red? Your kidding! I got a 1066, 186 (16k orig hrs), MX170, 8930+, 7140, 464 G, 684, C50, 585, 544E, 60xt, 135 McCormick, ok and a little orange scraping tractor. And we use all of them on the dairy.

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

Reply to this topic