13 replies to this topic

#1 kunal

kunal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hello to all,
My dad owns this old TD-9 which no one has much information about. The engine number is TDCB 35847141A and I was given one more number TDCBM 26880. The tractor is not at the same location as me, so not able to confirm any details. Had following questions -
  • Which year is the tractor from?
  • What engine would it take? Looks like there might be 2 or 3 different kinds
  • What crankshaft would it take? - Was told there is a crack or slipped bearing (again not sure)
  • Head has a hairline crack
I have the options below -
  • Buy a crankshaft - I might get access to a 50977DAIH and 275606R crankshaft. Would either work?
  • Buy a complete new engine for a rebuild - Would a WD-9 engine work? I would rather work offline and get it ready before I tearout the old one
  • Buy just the head - I may get access to a 8101DG cylinder. Would it work?

Thank you very much in advance.

#2 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have been wondering it there was any demand for those kind of parts. I have two TD9s that are going for scrap and I was wondering what to keep.

#3 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

I have been wondering it there was any demand for those kind of parts. I have two TD9s that are going for scrap and I was wondering what to keep.

What does that mean? For the engine parts? Yes, there is demand. Are you the guy parting the WD-9s on Austin, MN CL?

The first number was a part number. You can tell from the R1

1 - Probably around a 47, but it is really tough to guess for a 9 series. There were a lot of gas tractors and stuff that threw off the count. There should be a casting code behind/near the injection pump that will have a date. It will be like 5*23*R

2 - It should take all three engines, maybe more. It WILL take a WD, WDR, or TD engine.

3 - Don't know for sure, but it will be from one of those machines. They did change a few things from early to late tractor and not everything is interchangeable. ie late vs early heads and late vs early rods

4 - Heads can be repaired or good heads can be found.

1 - IDK

2 - Parts engines are out there. I bought a parts engine to complete my project. Who says your parts engine will have a good head?

3 - You can buy a head, but they usually cost more especially when they are pressure checked and confirmed good. What is an 8101DG cyl?

I have a crank and a head. Might be a while before you can have them. I want to get my engine through the machine shop before I start selling extra parts.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#4 kunal

kunal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Scott. Thanks for the information. I have a quote to get the head repaired. I will be on the lookout for a part engine which might be better as a complete overhaul could be done rather than the bits and pieces I was planning to do. If it does not work, I would be interested in the crank and head you have.
The 8101DG is casting on one of the heads I got a lead on. Tried to upload the picture but no luck. What is IDK? (a supplier?)

#5 FarmallFan

FarmallFan

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts
  • Location:Hicksville, Ohio (don't laugh!!) NW OHIO 1.5 miles from Farmer OH
  • Interests:IH tractors and Equipment, Web design, Computer repair, basically anything technology related.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

IDK = I Don't Know. Its texting lingo. :)
Owner of a 1941 Farmall H that is waiting to be painted.

#6 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

I have not tried to sell any parts off of my machines.

I have two TD9 loaders that I got about 20 years ago thinking that I would have enough pieces to put one together. Both are pretty well used up and both have final drive problems. The '56 model had the splines worn out on a final drive gear that I welded to the shaft and drove it around a little bit. When the drive had failed it was hauled back to the owners shop and then the shop burned down before it was repaired. The engine in the other one (51) sat outside with no cover on the exhaust so water got in and broke the block.

With the price of scrap up to about what this units would bring if running I have decides just to get rid of them. I just have to decide what I may want to keep and what to scrap.

#7 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

Obviously heads, pumps and injectors are worth more as parts than scrap. Truthfully the pistons are worth it too but they are a lot more work to get at then the rest of the parts. If they are honest 350 ci/4.5" sleeves they are worth it as well. The no covered exhaust one is probably a lost cause for engine parts.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#8 kunal

kunal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Gentlmen,
I picked up this lot of used TD-9 / WD-9 parts from a tractor auction.
I bought 3 cranks and a bunch of other parts like pistons, push rods (8), pulleys, clutch connecting rods and possibly some piston pins
I just need 1 crank (50977 DAIH) and maybe another 50978 DA. The 3rd crankshaft # 275606R is not required. It is the one with the gear in the middle. Hate to throw it in scrap. Anyone need it for free? Would have to pick it up. I am throwing out some other of the above things too. Please email me or PM. I would like someone to use it rather than end up in a melt furnance. Would need to go this week. Its in Cleveland, OH. I can try and skid it up, but cannot promise.

Which model would the 50978 DA crankshaft fit? I have a 1946 TD-9.

#9 saskdiesel

saskdiesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

What I need to know is on the WD-9 or TD-p engines does the ring gear fit flush with the front (engine side) of the flywheel or is it back approx 5/8 in. I cannot get the starter to engage and the bendix seems to be throwing or all the way.

#10 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

What I need to know is on the WD-9 or TD-p engines does the ring gear fit flush with the front (engine side) of the flywheel or is it back approx 5/8 in. I cannot get the starter to engage and the bendix seems to be throwing or all the way.

Flush.

Posted Image
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

Reply to this topic